SupaDudz
NOTHISISPATRICK

Filtering On School Computers

NOTHISISPATRICK has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

SupaDudz

Pro

In this debate, we will be talking about schools filtering out certain websites from a students personal device. I believe that this a good thing to do.

The Structure Of The Debate Is Simple

Round 1 is acceptance
Round 2 is opening arguments
Rounds 3 and 4 are rebuttals
Round 5 is the concluding thoughts (should be no more the 3k words)

Voting is open but no vote bombers
If you forfeit the debate round, please type in the box, forfeit in the box until the rounds are all over
Swearing is allowed, but too much should result in a penalty
Be respectful as usual

Good luck!
NOTHISISPATRICK

Con

I accept this challenge and will gladly take the con side on the topic of allowing schools to filter and block certain websites. My questions regarding to the debate are as follows:
-What criteria are we basing the filtering of certain websites off of
- Is this a certain age demographic due to certain age levels being exposed to different material, or is it the universal topic
- Can we add questions following our rebuttals and introductions as a cross examination?
I look forward to hearing your side of the debate and hopefully persuading the audience to repeal filtering of websites by schools.
SupaDudz

Pro

Thanks to my opponent for accepting. Your questions are answered via the comment sections. Without further ado, let's get ready to rumble
--------------------------------------------
INTRO:

The internet today is a marvellous piece of equipment which people should use to their advantage. Now that it is being developed into our education system, that means more opportunities for our children to succeed. However, the internet is also a dark place where people have racist thoughts and sexual content. A child's device for school needs to be filtered out and have certain websites filtered.

------------------------------------------------
Argument 1
A Child's Curious Nature

A Source I Used: http://teacher.scholastic.com...

" Fear kills curiosity. When the child's world is chaotic or when he is afraid, he will not like novelty. He will seek the familiar, staying in his comfort zone, unwilling to leave and explore new things. Children impacted by war, natural disasters, family distress, or violence all have their curiosity crushed. "

If a child that is aware of racism yet has never had a front hand experience with is exposed to it from the internet, this generates an untouched fear in the world. Maybe a sex joke is referred to in a game they are playing on the device. This could completely scar their curiosity to learn which would be a major blow to TechEd, which is more optimistic than pessimistic. We can't let that happen.

However, if a child stumbled on this site if there was filtering done by the school, the child would never be scared and lose their curiosity. Why? Simply because they never viewed the site! This simple solution preserves a child's innocence and curiosity signs show it is broken. Even then, we don't want the child to be influenced by these horrible sities. The best we can do is limit there spread by blocking them from a child's eyes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Argument 2
Filtering Is Easier Than Ever!

Filtering apps are now available if they don't use the school given one at home. These filtering apps and browser programs are the best quality for at least 39.99. You may think it's expensive, but for a child's innocence to be preserved, it is worth every penny. Schools are even starting to use these mainstream filtering sites for their own usage. The business is growing and all for the right reasons,

A Source: https://www.whatech.com...

The source says that a new booming market for parents tracking and filtering is rising and will be big soon! This is a major deal and these companies are already using these in our schools! Amazing! Why not stop it. The companies are doing the right thing, don't stop it by removing it in school!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Argument 3
Keeps Them From Being Distracted In School!

Kids that are distracted all the time tend to do worse on homework and tests and if our generation is grown up this way, how do we stop it. Internet filtering is the way to go. Teachers have the attention of the students instead of her aimlessly talking. It is the best way we can do things to stop the kids from being distracted. While having the principal come in and time outs take away from teaching time, a filter can simpy just block the kids from going on any games that could distract
-------------------------------------------------------------
I conclude...

Nothing is wrong with school filtering. It preserves our childs innocence!
Posted by sammnmmmmmm 3 days ago
sammnmmmmmm
it is annoying though because at break time when you are bored and you want to talk to your friends on messenger you cant because the school blocks it
Posted by SupaDudz 1 week ago
SupaDudz
also, add-on.

we can talk about how a child curiosity can lead to a racist-pornographic website.
Posted by SupaDudz 1 week ago
SupaDudz
Your questions will be answered via comments
1. What criteria are we basing the filtering of certain websites off of

We will be doing any websites blocked by the school minus pornography and racist websites

2. Is this a certain age demographic due to certain age levels being exposed to different material, or is it the universal topic

Age groups from around 4th grade to the 8th-grade level. High school filtering is none to very little

3. Can we add questions following our rebuttals and introductions as a cross-examination?

You may ask questions in these debates. I wouldn't do it though due to the character limit being placed as it somewhat is unfair. But I won't stop you. I will most likely say refer to a statement if it isn't a clarification question.

QUICK NOTE MUST READ: A dropped argument by a certain team means that the team that dropped it will lose that argument. This is policy rules. If the opponent manages to not noticed a dropped claim, you can revisit it in your next speech without penalty.

HOW TO WIN ON DROPPED ARGS: Say my opponent dropped {argument inserted} and therefore the point goes here. You must extend that argument and impact of it in order to receive full credit.

RECOMMEND: If you don't want to lose on grammar, I suggest downloading grammar.ly. Little grammar mistakes count

Sorry if this confused you! I hope for a fair and modest debate. I will try my best to get arguments up asap and I will work on some tomorrow and tonight.