SevenWarriors1
4saken

Final Fantasy X vs (insert Final Fantasy game)

4saken

SevenWarriors1

Pro

Good Afternoon random people of the DDO website. Today I bring the challenge of proving that your Final Fantasy game is better than Final Fantasy X.

The burden of proof lies with both of us as we both have to prove our Final Fantasy is the best Final Fantasy (in comparison to the other).

First to accept gets it. But please no trolls.

First round is for acceptance and naming your Final Fantasy game. (choose any you like from any console as long as it is part of the main franchise e.g VII, VI, III, IX etc)
4saken

Con

I'll choose Final Fantasy VIII then.
It's the first FF I've played so maybe I am bias, but whatever. Let's get started :)
SevenWarriors1

Pro

Unfortunately I will have to forfeit this debate, I am leaving for a few days and will be unable to reply in time to any arguments.
my main arguments would have been the fact that in most game reviewers ratings FFX rated higher than FFVIII and that it was the first to have a direct sequel game (FFX-2) also I felt the plot was a lot deeper than FFVIII and would have used evidence to support this, thanks for accepting! may we debate in the future.

PS: I can;t wait for the new FFX game graphics! :D
4saken

Con

Unfortunately Pro had to forfeit due to the lack of time to reply. Nevertheless, I would like to present the reason why I like FF8 more than FF10.

Final Fantasy, after all, is a game so the gameplay must be the main factor deciding how good the game is. Of course, FF10's gameplay is no way bad, but it lacks innovative, while FF8 has a lot of groundbreaking revolutionary elements.

* The magic system
FF10 has a traditional magic system (using MP to cast spell, when your MP pool is depleted you can' cast anymore and need to use MP Potion to restore it). While there is nothing wrong with that, there are thousands of RPGs before and after FF10 having a system similar to that. But FF8 is different. In FF8, You "stock" magic. If you have 7 Fire, you can cast Fire seven times. You can get more by drawing magic from Draw Points (scattering all over the world so you need to explore to find them), drawing from enemies or refining from items. You can stock up to 100 per spell.

* Junction system
The magic you stock are not only used to cast spell. In addition, you can junction them with your stats to improve them. How much stats are boosted depends on the types. For example, Life will boost your HP better than Fire, and Haste will boost your Spd better than Holy. You can also junction your Element and Status Effect to your attack/defence. For example, junctioning Fire to your attack will make you deal more damage to the enemies weak to Fire (but less damage to the ones having fire resistance) while junctioning Thunder to your defence will make you resistant to Thunder. Similarly, you can add Sleep to your attacks, making the enemies sleep after you strike them or you can make youself resistant to their status attacks.

* Summoned monsters
Summoned monsters in FF8 are called Guardian Forces (GF). You can, well, summon them to battle the enemies. But unlike other FF games, here they have another use. You can junction a GF to your characters (and you have to if you want to summon it). Over time the GF will learn more abilities (active and passive skills) and you can choose junction those skills to the characters as well. In this way you can customize your characters.

* Card game
Triple Triad is a minigame of FF8. It's a card game which you can play with various NPCs and if you win you will be awarded with new cards. Common cards can also be gained by battling monsters while rare cards can only be obtained from certain NPCs. Therefore, it takes a lot of time for you to explore and collect every cards. Cards can also be refined to get items and many rare items are easier to get through cards.

Final Fantasy VIII has an innovative and complex gameplay. It allows you to greatly customize your characters and try different strategies. It also has a lot of things to explore, which is good for any RPG. As a result, FF8 has great replay value (arguably more than FF10).
SevenWarriors1

Pro

SevenWarriors1 forfeited this round.
4saken

Con

Extend argument
SevenWarriors1

Pro

SevenWarriors1 forfeited this round.
Posted by Korashk 3 years ago
Korashk
IV, VI, and IX are all better than X. III, V, VII and IX are also arguably better. Although, I wouldn't take on the arduous task of arguing that VIII is better than X, VIII is barely better than II and II is a pretty bad game.
Posted by SevenWarriors1 4 years ago
SevenWarriors1
To Zaradi, I will not be arguing FFX-2 unless it is used to enhance my argument for FFX (such as it being the first FF game to have a direct sequel).

4saken: I will not be using graphics to show which game is superior for the sole reason that graphics do not usually make a good game and I realise time is an unfair advantage to the graphics of the older console games of the series.

If either of you take into account these things I do not mind which take the debate as I hope you will both have interesting points to be made :)

You can always include games in the series that have been made after FFX although I would advice against using FFX-2 as your game (in Zaradi's case)
Posted by DakotaKrafick 4 years ago
DakotaKrafick
Good news for you, Pro.

http://blog.us.playstation.com...
Posted by 4saken 4 years ago
4saken
I suggest that graphic shouldn't be used to show which one is superior, otherwise it will be very unfair for earlier FF.
If you agree I'll accept this challenge.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
Nnnrrrrgggg.....I want to.....but I don't want to.....but I really want to....

Are you also going to be arguing for X-2 or solely X?
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
SevenWarriors14sakenTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.
Vote Placed by Pennington 4 years ago
Pennington
SevenWarriors14sakenTied
Vote Placed by Xerge 4 years ago
Xerge
SevenWarriors14sakenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Pro