abdiali23
patrickmccourt

Financial Education Should Be Taught In Schools

abdiali23

Pro

I personally think financially education should be taught in schools, I am quite angered how it is not which leaves bright children unable to even secure their own retirement in their futures. This is the reason why there is such a big wealth gap between the top 1% and the rest of the 99%. What do you think?
patrickmccourt

Con

Absolutely not. The point of such a course would be to provide information that may help each student make good decisions. However, for many students of today's world, their parents would teach them what they need to know about good decision-making. Almost every child who did not receive such mentoring can learn this them-self, just like all other occupants of the world do. It takes very few years of experience to learn how to manage money. In addition, a large portion of this course would teach skills that would apply when the student is a senior citizen. For some reason, I do doubt that even a single student could remember what their finance teacher taught them about retirement saving sixty-five years ago.
After graduation, if a fellow still desires a financial education, there are numerous ways one could arrive upon one. One of which could be having these classes taught at a low-cost institution for adults. If the graduate is truly interested in the subject, they could, even now, pursue a financial degree at a college.
abdiali23

Pro

I disagree with you. Financial education is not being taught properly. Attending a business school wont get you the right resources to be financially on track. No matter what your background is you will use money, so therefore its important to get the education. I took business, finance and economic courses in the past and none of them taught me how mortgages or taxes work, i had to figure it out myself at a relatively young age.
patrickmccourt

Con

These classes that you mentioned are, contrary to your opinion, indeed being taught properly. But, they are not intended to educate the students about being financially on track; they generally view finances on a large-scale. The individual works--paying mortgages, taxes, etc.--do not necessarily need to be taught in the form of a course. As you said, you figured out how these function at a young age. The majority of our society's young adults learn this in the same way. And, most would say that there is nothing wrong with that system. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
abdiali23

Pro

abdiali23 forfeited this round.
patrickmccourt

Con

patrickmccourt forfeited this round.