durrrr013
AdeelQayum

Finishing in the top 4 of the EPL is like a trophy

durrrr013
Started: 3/5/2015 Category: Sports

durrrr013

Pro

I'm an Arsenal fan. Wenger has said many times that qualifying for the UCL is "like a trophy". I'm inclined to agree. I would actually give up an FA Cup (the only actual trophy won since I began supporting the club in 2006) for a spot in the UCL.

My reasons are the finances involved and the prestige from European competition.
AdeelQayum

Con

First off, I'm a Tottenham Fan (What a Coincidence?!). But that has nothing to do with it. Even if Tottenham were to make it to the Top 4 and secure UCL, I wouldn't feel that it would be like a trophy. It is just another competition that matches the team against others of the same level in a knockout-type of competition, instead of the regular league competition with the accumulation of points and whoever has the most at the end wins the title. It is also more exciting than the league (at least during the middle part of the season). If you actually WIN the competition, then obviously, it would be a trophy, but just being able to participate in the competition/financial privileges, isn't grounds to claim the spot as a trophy. Thanks!
durrrr013

Pro

I would to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I will do my best to suppress my instincts urging me to belittle Arsenal's rival.

Calling the UCL "just another competition" is a mind-boggling understatement. It is the premier club competition in the world. Taking part means huge financial boosts for the clubs that participate. With players having say-so in their transfers, being in the UCL is crucial to acquiring and maintaining top talent (a certain Welshman comes to mind).

For me, the prestige element of football is about the memories--being able to recall those thrilling moments of sheer joy that binds fan to club. The setting of these moments is highly salient to the significance, and what setting could be higher than the UCL? I still remember the all-out Gunner attack at Bayern following a loss in the first leg. We came one short of advancing, but it was a remarkable game that lives on with Gunner fans just do to the competition and calibre of the opponent. Arsenal's 7-5 win over Reading was a much "better" game, but doesn't have that air of significance because it was a League Cup.
AdeelQayum

Con

AdeelQayum forfeited this round.
durrrr013

Pro

To summarize my point, the UCL is such a prestigous and profitable competition that even participating is enough to reap benefits. I would rather see my club play in this competition with the best in the world than miss it for winning a lesser domestic trophy.
AdeelQayum

Con

AdeelQayum forfeited this round.
Posted by logicinlife 1 year ago
logicinlife
West ham till I die, west ham till I die, I know I am, I'll always be west ham till I die!
Posted by Abdul-elmi 1 year ago
Abdul-elmi
My fellow arsenal fans have been duped into believing that 4th place is good enough for a club the size of arsenal, the cheapest arsenal season ticket was priced at "985 for the 2013/2014 season according to the telegraph. It can be argued that the price is due to the club's location within London, but this argument is debunked by the fact that it costs "275 more than the nearest London club. Arsenal haven't finished inside the top 2 of the league since 2005, and the club is on the brink of being eliminated from the champions league last 16 for the 5th year in a row. One major trophy in 9 years is not acceptable for a club of arsenals size; not to mention the recent mediocre head to head record against the league's top teams.
Posted by maydaykiller 1 year ago
maydaykiller
As an Arsenal fan, you should be aware that the odds of Arsenal making it past the Last 16 of the Champions league round is unlikely, so wouldn't you rather winning an F.A Cup?
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
durrrr013AdeelQayumTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture