MaestroEvans
PrincessNene

Fire, Water, Earth, Air: Elemential Debate

MaestroEvans

Pro

Before you accept, read everything!

Refer to Avatar the Last Airbender (the animated series). Otherwise, read this if you do not know what I'm talking about.

The objective of the debate is simple: choose one of the four "elements" and argue why your chosen element is better than my chosen element. Remember, do not argue why it is the best element out of the four or bring the other two elements into the debate.

If you accept, you will only use round one for acceptance and to state your chosen element; you may not make a statement at this time (you will be able to make an opening statement--not a rebuttal--in round two).

Pro will state his chosen element in his opening statement in round two.

Questions to consider when arguing for your chosen element include:

1) How can your elements benefit society?
2) How much would you be able to control with your element?
3) Anything else you can think of.

The elements you may choose from are stated and defined below:

1) Water: control over water in its gaseous, liquid, and solid state (unless water is in a liquid solution, exclude all substances composed of water; this power is limited only to water.

2) Earth: Control over stone, setiments of rock (sand), and anything else related to it

3) Fire: Able to produce fire under the condition that the generation of fire is impossibe without supplying the lungs with air.

4) Air: Control over every element in its gaseous state that makes up air (if you choose this, know that you would be unable to control water directly).

Keep the extent of the power of each element limited to that displayed in Avatar, the Last Airbender cartoon: you cannot displace the pacific ocean, split the Earth into two, burn the earth, or cause the air to move at an infinite measurement of speed.

Standard debate.org rules apply; rounds 3 and 4 will be used for rebuttals while round 5 will only be used to summarize the debate.

Have fun and good luck!
PrincessNene

Con

For this debate I will be picking the element of "Fire"
MaestroEvans

Pro

Many thanks to my friend for accepting this debate! I hope that the both of us can learn something from this debate. For this debate, I choose to argue for "air" and why it is better than fire.

I'll keep this short, sweet, and simple.

Area of influece
Evidently, air's area of influence is planetary; every square millimeter of the planet's areal boundaries up to the molecules near the top of the troposphere [1] (considering that I would not survive the temperatures beyond the troposphere in casual wear) would be in my domain (not simutaneously, of course). This would mean that I would have domain over the following elements that make up air:

Gas

Formula

Abundance
percent by volume

Abundance
parts per million by volume

Nitrogen

N2

78.084%

780,840

Oxygen

O2

20.9476%

209,476

Argon

Ar

0.934%

9,340

Carbon Dioxide

CO2

0.0314%

314

Neon

Ne

0.001818%

18.18

Helium

He

0.000524%

5.24

Methane

CH4

0.0002%

2

Krypton

Kr

0.000114%

1.14

Hydrogen

H2

0.00005%

0.5

Xenon

Xe

0.0000087%

0.087

[2]

Societal benefits:

I will just make an easily understandable list:

• I would be able to greatly contribute towards combatting the greenhouse effect by containing the gradually increasing concentrations of carbon dioxide [3] to be used as a substantial supply necessary for photosynthesis [4].
  • I would be able to keep a flight safe from sudden, turbulent disturbanes
  • I would, of course, be able to provide hours of entertainment for children at a playground without the fear of wrecking anything.

I will turn it over to my friend(save rebuttals for round two)!

1: http://www.srh.noaa.gov...

2: http://education.jlab.org...

3: http://www.eia.gov...

4: http://biology.clc.uc.edu...

PrincessNene

Con

PrincessNene forfeited this round.
MaestroEvans

Pro

I will give con another chance to make her opening statement; she must make one in round 3.

PrincessNene

Con

PrincessNene forfeited this round.
MaestroEvans

Pro

So disappointing. Do not even bother to vote on this debate.
PrincessNene

Con

PrincessNene forfeited this round.
MaestroEvans

Pro

Again, this was very disappointing and I will add that I am sorry. Do not vote.
PrincessNene

Con

PrincessNene forfeited this round.
Posted by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
Though it's a moot point now, I think it's a little unfair to make the contender declare her element first. This allows for Pro to choose one for which he feels he can more easily make a case to counter.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
I'd go water.
Posted by MaestroEvans 4 years ago
MaestroEvans
Comment flame of any sort prohibited, ladies and gentlemen.