Anger154
jonothanster

First person shooters are better than RPG's

jonothanster

Anger154

Pro

Ok me and john will be debating on the topic shown above, i will be taking the pro side thanks for accepting john, ill let you start.
jonothanster

Con

Hi there, I'm John. For this debate, I will be taking the Con side, as discussed. I look forward to to hearing the arguments my opponent will make, and I'm sure this debate will prove to be fulfilling, both on a spiritual and, yes, physical way.
Anger154

Pro

Thank you john

First off i would like to offer the following definitions for the debate-

From Merriam Websters online dictionary-
Better- more attractive, favorable, or commendable

R.P.G-abbreviation for Role Playing Game-Definition-A type of game, played either with pencil and paper, on a computer, or through another medium, in which the player(s) assume the role of a character. Gameplay is usually determined in part by statistics attached to each character and frequently influenced by a character class.

First Person Shooter-A combat or video game genre characterized by a three-dimensional view from from the player's perspective, often holding a weapon in front

Im now going to start off with my case:

Contention 1- First person shooters give players more of a feel of being in the game as compared to RPG's

First person shooters gives the gamer the 3 dimensional view through the character's eyes (in the game) on to the surrounding area, RPG's on the other hand give the gamer a 3rd person view, a view where the camera is situated behind the character, as we all know we don"t view ourselves from invisible cameras behind us but through our own eyes, therefore first person shooters give the gamer more of a feeling, and a lot of gamers today are hungry for a game that gives them a sense of being in the game.

Contention 2- First person shooters have a higher popularity rate than RPG's

My evidence taken from Gamespot* shows that the highest rated games are all First person shooters, each one with rating of 8.0 or higher, this shows that First person shooters attract Gamers more than RPG's therefore First person shooters are more preferred over RPG's

*http://www.gamespot.com...

Contention 3- Multiplayer experience in First Person Shooters is far greater than that of an RPG

A lot of Gamers look at the multiplayer experience as the highest rating factor in a game, A lot of First person shooters offer this option, on the other hand RPG's which are Role Playing Games, do not have a multiplayer option, they are not MMORPGS which stand for Massive MULTIPLAYER Online Role Playing Game, therefore RPG's don't offer that electrifying experience of interacting with another human, and truly testing there skills that Gamers really look for.

Thats my case i look forward to your response john
jonothanster

Con

I'd like to first thank my opponent for his very swift response. I'm assuming this case is in LD format. My opponent did not post a Value or Value criterion, but I'm going to say, because of this particular resolution, that this was a good decision since I can't think of a good one for the life of me. So, I'd ask the judges to ignore this particular aspect of debate.

Since this case is in LD format, I will continue with cross-ex
First of all, I will accept your definitions.

For your first contention, you say that First Person Shooters give plays 'more of a feel' of being in the game.

-When you say this, are you implying that of all the various video game formats, FPS provide a more vivid experience exclusively because of the 3D format?

For your second contention-
-What exactly do you mean by popularity rate?
-Are you denying that there are other forms of RPG's, such as board games and the like, since you've only posted the 'popularity rate' for RPG videogames?
-If we included these Board Games into the "popularity rate", how do you think think the statistics would change?

Finally, for your third contention-
-Why do you deny that MMORPG's are not RPG's? They seem to fit with your definition?
-And even if we were to completely discount videogame RPG's, do you realize that RPG's of the board-game variety are impossible to play with out other players?

Now, on with the case.
I negate the resolution which sates: "First person shooters are better than than RPG's. I will accept my opponents definitions, and add none of my own.

Contention One: RPG's provide more value for the price.
Subpoint A- The RPG features more replay value. Consider: The first person shooter. It provides a linear story line that takes about 20 to 30 hours to complete. When the storyline is up, there is little to do without replaying the game. RPG's on the other hand were designed to be played over and over again, providing a fresh experience with each replay. The games provide several different ways to play, including customizing the Species and Class distinction of your character, as well as several different ways to play and complete the game. Customization in an RPG basically comes down to choosing which weapon you want to use.
Subpoint B- RPG's take longer to complete. The average FPS costs around $50 and takes anywhere from 20 to 30 hours from beggining to end, depending on which difficulty level is used. However, a videogame RPG also costs about $50 and takes (on average) 60 hours to complete. These statistics, from meta-critic online, prove that in terms of simple dollars and cents, RPG's provide more value.

Contention 2: Since RPG's are not limited to any particular format, there is a level of diversity from RPG's that an FPS can not match. RPG's can be anything from a boardgame, to a videogame. The videogame RPG can appear in any style of gaming, from massive online worlds (WoW) to, yes, FPS (Deus Ex, System Shock 2). This diversity means that while your average FPS are always going to be stuck in the 3D format our definition describes, while RPG's are free to experiment, and add news and innovative ways of play.

Contention 3: RPG's provide a rich multiplayer experience. The original RPG's, such as Dungeons and Dragons, were board game pioneers, games that despite their low tech format still managed to form a massive group of players form all over the world. While these games today are still very popular, Videogame RPG's are the most popular form of multiplayer experience to this date. Online multiplayer games can provide an experience that can not and has not been topped.
Anger154

Pro

Thank you John,

I will start off with Johns cross-x then ask my own-

-To answer your first question John, no john, not because of the vivid 3D format, but all other aspects, not just 3D effects.
-By popularity rate i mean the gamer population, the population of the human race that plays video games
-No i'm not denying that
-The statistics woulden't change at all john, because im sure most people would prefer to play vivid FPS video games, than sit at the table and play board games, since the advance of technology video games seemed to replace board games.
-John i am not denying that mmorpgs are not rpgs im just saying they both have a difference, one is a massive multiplayer online game, the other isnt, there still Role Playing Games.
-True john but like i explained before a lot of people would rather play video games with other people, instead of board games.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now with my cross-x
-Starting off with your first contention john
-In your subpoint A you state that all FPS have is just a story line and thats it, are you denying that FPS games dont have multiplayer options, or add ons?
-You also state that the only thing you can customize in FPS is your weapon, isnt it true in FPS like Halo, have customizable armor, and statistic customization too...so called custom powerups?
-Now with your second contention
-Are you comparing a 2d boardgame to a million dollar 3d video game designed by a whole team of people
Now with my case-

On the first contention John states that FPS games only have a 30 hour storyline and thats it, what John forgot to tell you is the other options FPS have including Multiplayer, downloadable add-ons and so on, he also states that customization is limited to weapons in FPS, this is wrong, customization is not just limited to the weapon, but to a wide range of things such as armor, and so called custom powerups. John also states no link to his evidence so you simply cannot look to this in the round.

On to the second contention, John states that RPG's have a wide variety of formats including boardgames, boardgames in general are 2d patform, with plastic figures you move around with little to do except that, 3d FPS videogames on the other hand offer a massive sandbox enviorment to experiment with, and endless possabilities, RPG's offer a massive world sure, but nothing to really follow, you just do your own thing, so a player can sometimes become lost, or stuck in an RPG and probably not know where to go, as compared to FPS which tells the player what to do so the player doesn't get stick

Now on to the third contention, John states that RPG's boardgames are multiplayer but what he misses is that FPS videogame multiplayer allows players to connect with other players around the world with the click of a button , so the variety of people and skills is endless, with boardgames this isn't possible, most multiplayer boardgames are only limited to the people around the player,(i.e. neighboorhood) so if there is no one play with, the boardgame becomes useless, therefore people tend to play video-games at that point, and like my evidence explained before an FPS game is more popular.

-I highly urge the judges to vote pro
jonothanster

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for his extraordinarily speedy response.
ROADMAP: Respond to Cross- Ex, and finally make a rebuttal, which will first cover attacks made to my case, and then move on to his own.

CROSS EX:
For clarification, the questions asked by my opponents will appear in brackets.

[In your subpoint A you state that all FPS have is just a story line and thats it, are you denying that FPS games dont have multiplayer options, or add ons?]
- Not at all. However, I was making the point that, in terms of dollars and cents, RPG's provide more value. In order to receive add-ons and the like for FPS, you must pay. With RPG's you get a long play time with out having to pay for add ons. I'm not saying that there is no addons for RPG's, I'm only saying that the stand alone RPG provides more value then the stand alone RPG.
[You also state that the only thing you can customize in FPS is your weapon, isnt it true in FPS like Halo, have customizable armor, and statistic customization too...so called custom powerups?]
-Statistic customization (and indeed, customization in general) is one of the core elements of an RPG game. If these FPS do feature elements such as this, they are FPS-RPG's.
[-Are you comparing a 2d boardgame to a million dollar 3d video game designed by a whole team of people?]
Yes, as a matter of fact I am. Why not?
Anger154

Pro

Anger154 forfeited this round.
jonothanster

Con

Well it seems that my opponent has forfeited his round, thus forfeiting his win.
Posted by clovenrose 7 years ago
clovenrose
reason for voting. you both had equal spelling and grammar, but i like john's arguments more. anger154 stated one source, which pulled the reliable resources vote. and anger, xiao told me to look at this debate, but his message did not influence my decision. (p.s. xiao told me yo tell you that, but i really did make my own decision)
Posted by Anger154 7 years ago
Anger154
Sorry i forfeited the round as you can see my opponent didnt give me a case to rebut
Posted by jonothanster 7 years ago
jonothanster
The site cut me off before I could finish my rebuttal. I will add some more to the comment section later.
Posted by jonothanster 7 years ago
jonothanster
An MMORPG is a RPG. There's no debate.
Posted by Anger154 7 years ago
Anger154
True like a states the only difference between the two is the MMO part the massivle multiplayer online part
Posted by Puck 7 years ago
Puck
Although saying an mmorpg isn't an RPG is like saying Doom isn't a FPS because I can network play. >.>
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
Agree with CON, but let's see how this plays out.
Posted by Puck 7 years ago
Puck
RPG hands down. :P

Amusingly, the acronym could also be a weapon in a FPS.
Posted by Anger154 7 years ago
Anger154
this should be fun
Posted by DontBeRacist 7 years ago
DontBeRacist
QQ This would be a fun debate.
Vote Placed by clovenrose 7 years ago
clovenrose
Anger154jonothansterTied
Vote Placed by Anger154 7 years ago
Anger154
Anger154jonothansterTied
Vote Placed by xiaotian-Z 7 years ago
xiaotian-Z
Anger154jonothansterTied