AbandonedSpring
bad_gurll

Flag burning is protected under the first amendment

AbandonedSpring

AbandonedSpring

Pro

I saw you wanted to debate this topic, and I am very interested in this topic. 1st round is acceptance.
bad_gurll

Con

i do want to go against you. im so against burning the flag
AbandonedSpring

Pro

To begin, I would like to state that I am against burning the flag as well. I would never burn the flag, nor would I even think about doing it.
However, The first amendment reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

The part we will be discussing is the part that reads, "abridging the freedom of speech..."

To begin, I will ask questions, which I expect to be explicitly answered and clearly labeled in your round of debate. I expect you to ask me as many questions as you would like.

1. What is the supreme courts job?

2. If the supreme court said that flag burning was protected under the first amendment, then would it be officially protected?

To reaffirm, I hate flag burning, but I love the constitution. I believe that flag burning is protected under the constitution, and now you must prove that it isn't.

Thanks
bad_gurll

Con

bad_gurll forfeited this round.
bad_gurll

Con

bad_gurll forfeited this round.
bad_gurll

Con

bad_gurll forfeited this round.
Posted by smlburridge 2 years ago
smlburridge
@The-Voice-of-Truth & @cheyennebodie

That's your opinion. But the Constitution protects all expression, or else people like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. would have a much harder time speaking out against racial discrimination during the 1960s. Just because an opinion is unpopular, doesn't mean it should be prohibited by the government.

And I agree, personally, with your opinion. The flag of the United States does not represent any one political party or any one leader. You can't even make the remark that it represents our foreign policy because that changes with every election cycle. The flag simply represents the Union, and hundreds of thousands have died for it, whether they were black or white, Muslim or Christian, male or female.
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 2 years ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
Honestly, I agree with @cheyennebodie. If you do not respect our flag, the most prominent symbol of our nation, patriotism, the American ideals, and the sacrifice of our veterans, then you are as patriotic about America as Soviets were during the Cold War. If you do not respect the flag, which is more than just cloth, then you can leave the U.S of freaking A!!!!!
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
If things keep going like it is, we need to change the stars and stripes to the hammer and sickle.Then I'll bet those who burn the flag would stop.
Posted by smlburridge 2 years ago
smlburridge
It's hard to attack a Supreme Court case. :P
Although he could argue with the dissenting opinion.
Posted by AbandonedSpring 2 years ago
AbandonedSpring
It's alright, I just don't want my opponent to know all my arguments XD
Posted by smlburridge 2 years ago
smlburridge
Just wanted to voice my opinion and give a little help.
Having two flag burning debates on the front page would be a bit redundant, don't you think?
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
play nice, children
Posted by AbandonedSpring 2 years ago
AbandonedSpring
Stop debating yourself on my debate. If you want to debate, debate with someone else
Posted by smlburridge 2 years ago
smlburridge
Furthermore, the Supreme Court struck down a statute passed by the United States Congress that prohibited flag desecration in 1990 in United States vs. Eichman, which built upon Texas vs. Johnson. It was concluded, again, that flag desecration is an act of expression and thus is protected by the freedom of speech. The government could not prosecute someone for burning or otherwise desecrating the flag. The crux of the Court's findings was that "the Government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable."
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
The flag is just cloth and thread, let it burn.
Vote Placed by warren42 1 year ago
warren42
AbandonedSpringbad_gurllTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with PRO on the fact that it is protected under freedom of speech. Additionally it can be seen as legal under the freedom to petition. Regardless of my opinion, CON forfeited.
Vote Placed by awr700 1 year ago
awr700
AbandonedSpringbad_gurllTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con didn't give an argument at all.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
AbandonedSpringbad_gurllTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture