Flat Earth Theory vs Ball Earth Theory

There is more scientific evidence supporting that the earth is flat than there is evidence supporting it is a ball.

We will be debating which is more likely.
Given the information which has been collected, is it more like that;
The earth is flat?
The earth is a ball?

I will be arguing for flat earth.

I accept the debate.

I'll be debating that the Earth is, in fact, a sphere/ ball/ whatever you want to call it.

Your move Con, I'll update tomorrow.

I was slow to get back and only have a small amount of time to write this.

The horizon line is straight, not curved, even at altitudes of over 100,000 feet.

The images that we have of the earth are all faked photographs.

The way boats disappear on the horizon suggests that the earth is not curved.
Also, the way the sun disappears suggests a lack of curvature also.

Righty, let's do this.

First I'll debate your arguments, then state mine.

1. The horizon line is straight, not curved.

The horizon lines if the Earth were flat or round would look essentially identical. If you were a 5'6' person, and the Earth was flat, then the horizon would be 0.04 degrees higher. About the 100,000 feet thing, multiple photos show a straight line, and multiple photos also show a curved horizon. We can't use these photos as definitive proof one way or another.

2. The images we have of the Earth are all faked photographs.

Umm... burden of proof is on you there, I believe. You can't just say something and not back it up, that's not how a debate works.

3. The way boats disappear on the horizon suggests that the Earth is not curved.

You're right- we cannot see the curvature of the earth at sea level. However, just apply the "flat road" example from the below argument to the sea. But we can see the curvature at certain altitudes. Again, the burden of proof is on you to prove that the photos of the earth are faked.

4. Also, the way the sun disappears suggests a lack of curvature also.

Imagine an ant, walking on an orange. It moves into your field of view. You will be able to see the ant's body "rise up" from the orange. This is because of the curvature of the orange. Now, replace the orange with a flat road- you would see the ant slowly materialize, because the the road is not round. Apply the concept to the sun.

Now, my own arguments.

The shadow on the moon's surface is round- an oval. This proves that the earth is spherical- see the Foucault Pendulum here for proof.

If you move towards the equator, the constellations are replaced by other ones. This phenomena can only be explained with a round Earth. If the world was flat- well, then, the constellations could not be replaced as you could only see one set of patterns in the sky.

Mass has a little property called gravity that attracts things to it. With a sphere, you always have the exact same amount of sphere under you. Therefore, gravity pulls us towards the center, downwards. This is why we don't fly off the surface of the planet.

Now, consider a flat plane. The center of gravity is towards the center- the gravity would essentially pull you sideways, towards the center of the plane.

Good luck in Round 3, Con.

BonoboMoon forfeited this round.

Forfeit, eh? Can't debate if you don't post anything.

I should've made the response times longer.

1. Cameras that have fish eyed lenses will produce curved horizons.
CGI will produce curved horizons.
Regular cameras will give you a straight line

2. I guess I can't go through every single photograph that has been made of the earth to prove that, but the vast majority, especially the ones on NASA's websites are cgi, not real.

3.4. What certain altitudes are you talking about?
The ant walking on an orange is hardly an example of the sun moving across the sky or a boat traveling into the horizon.

A. This is great evidence for a sphere earth

B. Constellations would still change as you moved across the plane. Staring at the sky from two different angles would produce two different results. If you were observing the same space from two different angles, the stars would appear to line up differently.

C. Universal acceleration is the other option besides gravity. Universal Acceleration pretty much says that the disk-shaped Earth is accelerating 'upward' at a constant rate of 1g

Circle_Craft forfeited this round.
Posted by Circle_Craft 8 months ago
I feel really stupid.

Had school and forgot about the debate...

Posted by BonoboMoon 9 months ago
I don't believe the earth is flat and I have my skepticisms about the moon landing

I just wanted to see how easy it would be to debate this topic from the side of flat earth
Posted by Lord_Libertarian 9 months ago
Oh if you believe the earth photos were fake, you probably believe the moon landing was fake. Incredibly elobrate, for NASA to put fake landing equipment anyone can spot with a strong enough telescope, including ones not made by nasa.
Posted by Circle_Craft 9 months ago
Whoops, sorry that I keep calling you Con. I'm Con, you're Pro. Oops...