Alex4949
studentathletechristian8

Flirting and chatting on online dating websites considered cheating when in a long-term relationship

Alex4949

Pro

Using websites such as (OkCupid, plentyoffish.org, eharmony, etc) and creating a profile that has been created saying you are single and looking for short-term/long-term relationships and casual sex, when in reality you are in a long-term relationship with someone and have been for a year or two. Is flirting and chatting with guys/girls on online dating websites considered cheating?
studentathletechristian8

Con

I thank my opponent for the debate and the audience for another opportunity.
Now, there is one extremely important term in this debate, and here is a fair definition of it:

cheat - to be sexually unfaithful.

It is understood that we are talking about someone who creates a profile on a dating website. This profile states that the creator is:
a) single,
b) LOOKING for short-term/long-term relationships,
c) LOOKING for casual sex.

Realistically, the creator of the profile is in a long-term relationship of about one to two years.

Flirting and chatting with guys/girls on online dating websites is certainly NOT considered cheating.
Remember that cheating involves being sexually unfaithful. Obviously, "sexually" refers to physical intercourse. Online flirting and chatting do not involve any type of sex or physical intercourse whatsoever. People in relationships flirt and chat with people at bars, but this in no way proves that someone is cheating because there is NO SEX.
Alex4949

Pro

The above points brought to attention by my opponent are very good points in this debate. However, perhaps we need to look into detail, more about this relationship. The term cheating can be interpreted in many different aspects in several relationships across North America. Every couple have different views on what they consider cheating and/or not cheating. The dictionary definition does not always work. As with concern expressed in the comments about this debate, although some long-term relationships are considered "open" relationships, for arguments sake, lets just assume that this particular relationship is a serious and "closed" relationship. As everyone must know, creating a profile on a dating website while in a long-term relationship is strange to say the least, the fact that a person would create the profile making them pose as a single is suspicious behavior. What are your thoughts?
studentathletechristian8

Con

My opponent does not counter my argumentation from the first round.

I will admit that, to many people, cheating is in the heart. However, saying that you are single and participating in the acts of flirting and chatting do not constitute cheating behavior whatsoever. It is up to my opponent to prove it, which my opponent has not.

Take the bar example again. We'll say that a woman is in a serious and closed relationship with a man. The man, although she loves him, does not satisfy her general romantic needs. She would prefer if he simply complimented her more and tried harder to pursue her. Thus, she goes to a bar, says she's single, and flirts/chats with other men to obtain that desired feeling. This does not constitute cheating; she is still fully committed to the relationship, but seeks another sort of gratification. This can be directly applied to the online ordeal. It is mere fun to flirt/chat with people who you will never encounter in life, and that's the point. NO SEX.
Alex4949

Pro

Alex4949 forfeited this round.
studentathletechristian8

Con

I thank my opponent and the audience for the debate.

Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited the last round of the debate and has been unable to refute my argumentation.

I urge a vote in my favor. Thank you.
Posted by studentathletechristian8 6 years ago
studentathletechristian8
I would like to tell everyone that I am leaving for vacation today, and that I shall have very limited computer access, if at all. I apologize in advance in the circumstance that I am unable to post a final round. I'll try to get online, but I cannot make a guarantee.
Posted by Maikuru 6 years ago
Maikuru
Triple post ftw?
Posted by Maikuru 6 years ago
Maikuru
1,000 characters? That will be brutal.
Posted by Maikuru 6 years ago
Maikuru
1,000 characters? That will be brutal.
Posted by annhasle 6 years ago
annhasle
Flirting online = cheating?

Does looking at a donut = consuming the donut? No.
studentathletechristian8
We need to get one thing straight: are you actually meeting the online person for physical interaction?
Posted by bluesteel 6 years ago
bluesteel
It's too mean, so I won't do it. But someone could argue that a long term relationship can still be an open relationship.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
Alex4949studentathletechristian8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro, the definitions rule, and so do the facts.
Vote Placed by Erick 6 years ago
Erick
Alex4949studentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 6 years ago
studentathletechristian8
Alex4949studentathletechristian8Tied