Agent89D
Political.Questioneer

Florida statute 316.305. Gives emergency responders authority to text/call/email while driving.

Agent89D has forfeited round #2.

Agent89D

Con

I came across Florida statute 316.305 which allows emergency vehicles to use hand held devices while driving. I've been seeing law enforcement abuse this statute (loophole) for far too long. Law enforcement are not super humans and science has shown that it is not safe to use a hand held device while driving so why can law enforcement endanger my wife or your kids while they are driving looking at there phones or computers while driving. This has got to stop. Emergency personal should have hands free capabilities built into there emergency vehicle.
Political.Questioneer

Pro

I assume this is for opening arguments. The Florida Statue 316.305 [1] is a statue that is implemented for public safety to restrict drives to use distracting electronic devices. This statue does have only in certain instances have certain exceptions for law enforcement and other emergency services. This is implemented, because emergency services need constant information updates and needed devices to keep their duty and to get to the emergency as fast as possible. As stated in the stature " does not apply to a motor vehicle operator who is: 1.Performing official duties as an operator of an authorized emergency vehicle as defined in s. 322.01, a law enforcement or fire service professional, or an emergency medical services professional." This only grants them access to mobile devices or electronics for a professional manner. They are not permitted to use the phone for personal use. The same statue goes on to list the specifics of what they can use their devices for however I will not past it here for the fear of plagiarism (it's in my links). The point is the permissions that the statue gives to emergency services is necessary for those services to operate more efficiently.

[1] http://www.leg.state.fl.us...
Posted by MrMosin 8 months ago
MrMosin
Good luck finding an opponent. Anyone who supports this is supporting texting and driving LOL
Posted by WilliamSchulz 8 months ago
WilliamSchulz
I agree with you in totallity and I want to congratulate you for finding this statute and calling it out.