TheNewOrder
IceHawk2009

Flu research should be prioritized over HIV/AIDS research.

TheNewOrder

Pro

Round 1 is for acceptance only.
IceHawk2009

Con

I will argue that HIV/AIDS reserch shuld be prioritized.
TheNewOrder

Pro

I would first like to apologize for a mistake I made while setting up this debate, it was originally intended to have 5 rounds.

I would like to begin my argument by comparing the contagiousness of the two diseases, how easy it is to prevent infection, and how dangerous both diseases are. As for HIV/AIDS the primary means of transmission between humans tends to be sexual contact, specifically on the receiving partner's end. In addition to this HIV can be spread by contaminated blood transfusions and breast milk.[1] This, fortunately makes it very easy for most of the population to avoid infection by the virus if safe sex practices are used. On the other hand the flu is spread through the air, via coughing, sneezing, etcetera.[2] This makes preventing catching the flu incredibly difficult, and means that a flu can spread around world in a matter of days, infecting hundreds of thousands in a short period of time. While AIDS may be more deadly in a normal year with an estimated three million people perishing of it each year it does not have the potential to cause the mass kill offs that the flu has the potential to cause. AIDS is a slow killer, taking many years to destroy the host's immune system where the flu can kill within a matter of days. For the most part the flu is falsely seen as a seasonal, non serious disease but this couldn't be farther from the truth. On an average year about twenty five thousand people die of the flu, but that isn't to say that the Flu does not have the potential to cause a massive amount of deaths over a very short period of time. In fact over the span of a single year the flu killed more people than HIV has since it was discovered. I am of course talking about the Spanish flu of 1918 in which forty million people died throughout the world. So it is not the seasonal onset of flu that warrants an increase in funding, but instead it is the inevitable mass pandemic that will, without proper action ravage the population.
IceHawk2009

Con

I can see this debate going on longer so if you wish to continue we can.

Presentation

HIV is a retro virus that transcribes its RNA-contaning genetic material into DNA of the host cell nucleus; this virus has a propensity for the immune cell replacing the RNA of lymphocytes and macrophages causing an immunodificient state[1]. What this is saying the virus injects its genetic material into the host cell and screws everything up. A lot of people think that HIV and AIDS are the same thing and use the acronyms interchangeably but this is not the case. As I am sure we can all agree HIV effects the immune system (HIV= human imunodifficincy virus). AIDS is acquired immunodeficiency syndrome and is the result of the progression of HIV[2].

The means of transition of HIV is sexual contact, any form of blood contact, and from mother to child either during pregnancy or after threw breast feeding[3]. In the US there are more than 47,000 new diagnosis’s of HIV/AIDS each year[4].

Another problem that is frequently brought up is that HIV/AIDS is an exclusively African problem (the content not the race). However in the world HIV/AIDS is the 6th leading cause of death worldwide[5]. However in one of my latter points I will argue why this number is a misrepresentation of the amount of people who die each year.

The seasonal influenza or “flu” virus is a highly contagious acute viral respiratory infection[6]. Each year there are 36,000 deaths from the flu each year[7]. There are several different families of the flu and the vaccine is based on which one epidemiologist believe will be most aggressive each year[8].

As mentioned earlier AIDS is the 6th leading cause of death worldwide[9]. The problem with this number is this number is only the people who die as a direct result of the pathological process of the HIV virus. Part of the pathological process is it destroys the T cell immune system[10]. Without the T cell system a lot of antibiotics will not help HIV/AIDS patients[11]. Therefore some of the people who died from bacterial infections died as an indirect result of HIV/AIDS. With their immune system being compromised HIV/AIDS patients are suspetiable to diseases that most healthy people do not get such as TB[12]. As mentioned above antibiotics do not help HIV/AIDS patients. The point I am trying to make here is that some of the people who died from bacterial infections, TB, pneumonia, the flu and almost any other disease died indirectly due to their comorbidity of HIV/AIDS.

Rebuttals

Yes the flu is more contagious but as mentioned above HIV/AIDS is more deadly. Not to mention the side effects of the medications used to treat HIV/AIDS are horrible and I do not have enough time to get into the who problem with treatment of HIV/AIDS. (My sift at work is almost over and I dont feel like reseraching more than I already have)

The other problem with your argument is it is not well sourced and I have no idea where some of your information comes from.

The other problem is the Spanish flue happened a long time ago. Almost 100 years. There has been a huge advancement in genetics and epidemiology medicine. The Spanish flue was actually an outbreak of the H1N1 virus (sound familiar?) As discussed above there are families of flu so they are genetically similar. Once geneticists figured out one vaccine they can easily figure out them all. There is another argument that I have based on how the HIV/AIDS virus is mutating and evolving making it more and more difficult to treat.

[1] Sole, Mary Lou., Deborah G. Klein, and Marthe J. Moseley. Introduction to Critical Care Nursing. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier/Saunders, 2013. Print.

[2] McCance. Pathophysiology: the Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier/Saunders, 2013. Print

[3] McCance. Pathophysiology: the Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier/Saunders, 2013. Print

[6] Ignataicius, Medical-Surgical Nursing 7th edition. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier/Saunders, 2013. Print

[7] Ignataicius, Medical-Surgical Nursing 7th edition. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier/Saunders, 2013. Print

[8] Ignataicius, Medical-Surgical Nursing 7th edition. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier/Saunders, 2013. Print

[9] McCance. Pathophysiology: the Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier/Saunders, 2013.

[10] McCance. Pathophysiology: the Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier/Saunders, 2013.

[11] McCance. Pathophysiology: the Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier/Saunders, 2013.

[12] McCance. Pathophysiology: the Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier/Saunders, 2013.

TheNewOrder

Pro

TheNewOrder forfeited this round.
IceHawk2009

Con

Well Ladies and gentlemen I have stated my case. I have explained why HIV/AIDS is a much more serious problem than the Flu and research should be prioritized
Posted by IceHawk2009 3 years ago
IceHawk2009
I am actually hoping that is one of his arguments.
Posted by Taylur 3 years ago
Taylur
Flu randomly changes its structure every single year making a single vaccine impossible. HIV does not change and can potentially be cured with our current understanding of medicine.