OkamiX5
TheMinorMiner99

Focusing on the bully, not the victim.

OkamiX5

Pro

When it comes to bulling, who should we focus on; the victim, or the bully? Sure, the victim is the one who is hurt by the actions of their oppressor. But how often do we pivot on the ideals of the tormentor? Most of the time, we are to abstracted and caught up in our own hate to ask: Why?
TheMinorMiner99

Con

Why is a useless question. When people are bully's they don't realize. I have watched as my classmates tease this one guy over and over again, and I will always hate myself for joining in. With a different perspective (which I use everywhere now as it's better) I realize that this guy is very hurt, and I start talking about it. I don't think that they know what they are doing.

I will always find it more simple and more consistently effective to talk to the victim, saying "they don't know what they are doing, and what they say doesn't matter. The bully doesn't see it like you do." Have the victim build self confidence and trust in themselves so they can be better people for the future. Solving this problem requires that the bully's do nothing, not stop doing something. Bully's will never go away, but victims can not let it get to them. Instilling confidence into the minds of victims is more successful then putting doubt into the minds of bully's
OkamiX5

Pro

You stated in your argument "I will always hate myself for joining in." I would assume that you have asked yourself multiple times why. According to Ditch the Label, "Those who bully others are looking to gain a feeling of power."(1). This proves one of the many reasons people join in on bullying is for power, and -using common knowledge and logic- the more power you have the less likely you are to be targeted. I'm not trying to say that is why, but it most likely is. You also claimed "When people are bully's they don't realize." In this case with you joining in, that is most likely true. The desire to dominate is a natural human process of thinking.

Another reason humans discriminate against each other is because they feel inferior. This usually is caused by being antagonized by someone else, who is either in the same situation or another. "Bullying is not simply a dyadic problem between a bully and a victim, but is recognized as a group phenomenon, occurring in a social context in which various factors serve to promote, maintain, or suppress such behavior,"(2) states Susan M. Swearer and Shelley Hymel in their essay. This exemplifies that the impulse to tyrannize is taught and implanted in our minds like a seed. That seed begins to grow, feeding off the anger and rage stored inside from being the victim. When that seed blooms into a flower, you become the very thing you despised before: a bully.

According to Bullying Statistics, "In a culture that is fascinated with winning, power, and violence, some experts suggest that it is unrealistic to expect that people will not be influenced to seek power through violence in their own lives."(3) Winning is undoubtedly part of most cliques, such as the classic group, the jocks. Power is also something the majority of humans naturally want to obtain. That leads to violence, which is certainly the easiest way to secure a position of power in society.

In my next argument, I will address why and how as a community it is important to focus on treating these individuals and helping them with their issues that make them want to victimize others.

Bibliography

(1) "Why Do People Bully? The Scientific Reasons - Ditch the Label." Ditch the Label (USA). N.p., 15 Nov. 2016. Web. 29 Mar. 2017. <https://us.ditchthelabel.org...;

(2) Swearer, Susan M., and Shelley Hym. "Understanding the Psychology of Bullying." (n.d.): n. pag. May-June 2015. Web. 29 Mar. 2017. <https://www.apa.org...;.

(3) "Why Do People Bully?" Bullying Statistics. N.p., 07 July 2015. Web. 29 Mar. 2017. <http://www.bullyingstatistics.org...;.
TheMinorMiner99

Con

See most recent comment for details. Enjoy a W
OkamiX5

Pro

Honestly this has been a nice debate, but I feel like it has been interupted by spring break and stuff. I might do this same debate again when there is more time for both canadites.
TheMinorMiner99

Con

Don't feel like this has been a waste of time, I'm leaving the website. It's a great debate, and a good topic. Happy debating, DFTBA
Posted by TheMinorMiner99 1 year ago
TheMinorMiner99
go ahead, but I'm not adding any argument
Posted by OkamiX5 1 year ago
OkamiX5
Alright, but I'm gonna keep the debate going.
Posted by TheMinorMiner99 1 year ago
TheMinorMiner99
hey. I'm leaving the site, so I'm not going to bother with an argument. I'm just going to finish the debate. Enjoy a W
Posted by TheMinorMiner99 1 year ago
TheMinorMiner99
OK. So I am arguing for the focused to be placed on the victim
Posted by OkamiX5 1 year ago
OkamiX5
I am for focusing on the bully, and the psychology behind bullying. I don't mind if you would like to also support focusing on the bully, we could simply go by who does a better job. But yes, you are correct on your assumption.
Posted by TheMinorMiner99 1 year ago
TheMinorMiner99
I'm unsure of your stance. Are you focusing on the bully or the victim. I'm pretty sure it's the bully, but I could debate for either side