Foie Gras Shouldn't be Banned

Foie Gras is a legendary French Cuisine; Engorged goose/duck liver, sauteed and served either alone or with filet mignon. It's an ancient practice, dating back to 2500 BC, where Egyptians force fed birds to fatten them. That's the controversy in foie gras today. Gavage is a method were a long metal tube is forced down the water fowl's throat to achieve the desired level of liver engorgement. California banned the production and sale of Foie Gras in 2012. Chicago banned it in 2005 but overturned the ruling in 2008. Peta, Viva!, and the Animal Humane Society want the ban nation wide.

Round 1 is accepting the debate.
Round 2 we give our reasons.
Round 3 we try to deflate each others arguments.
Round 4 closing statements.

I accept this debate as i myself am in the AHS and APL (Animal humane society & Animal Protection League)

Jolly good!

I firmly believe the sales and production of foie gras should continue in the US, for the following reasons:

1: Delicious: Foie Gras is known for decadent buttery taste and smooth texture. I has a flavor that can't be found in any other food in the world.

2: Not Inhumane: Contrary to popular belief, the raising of Mulards and geese for foie gras is very clean, safe, and ethical. Modern day foie gras has the fowl in huge pens for them to waddle around in first stages of life, and comfortable pen in the gavage stage. Even a few farms have moved on from the metal tubes to rubber ones. Finally, they stun the birds with electrified water before slaughter so they feel no pain or fear.

3: Anatomy: People often think that having a tube go down their throat would be painful and terrifying. That's true for a human. Our esophagus serves as both an airway passage for our lungs and a tube for our stomachs. The epiglottis makes us gag when something too big travels down throat. Ducks and geese don't work like that. They have separate tubes for ingestion and breathing. Their trachea actually extends into the tongue! Which means the could have a large foreign intruder in their esophagus and be perfectly fine.

I await my opponents side.

Sorry if the websites look biased. Oddly enough, I could only find the neck anatomy on those sites, go figure.

I would first like to point out that my opponent is wrong in saying "Foie Gras is known for decadent buttery taste and smooth texture. I has a flavor that can't be found in any other food in the world." one can get smooth texture and buttery taste by visiting an italian restaurant and ordering pasta WO sauce and W butter.
secondly the diagram of the foul's throat is accurate but that does not necessarily mean its harmless to the animal. Think about it, how would you, an intelligent being, like to be raised in a pen with 50 other humans, have fattening food shoved down your throat and then shocked before being decapitated. the shocking finale is adding insult to injury.

if you can tell me you would go through all this without resistance, then you are ether ignorant of your own psyche or a deranged madman/ woman.

im going to lose this debate due to conduct but let it be known that the killing of animals for food is unjust and a foolish sin of our race that will damn us all to hell!!!

How utterly disappointing. Why did accept the debate if this was how you was going to act? This was suppose to be a well thought out, intelligent persuasive argument. Instead I get this. Just forfeit, I'll find someone worth debating with.

debate339 forfeited this round.

If there's anyone out there with a good head on their shoulders, please challenge me to a debate. I'd love to have a proper discussion with an intelligent person.

debate339 forfeited this round.
Posted by ZMowlcher 2 years ago
I just found a hilarious typo. I can't believe I didn't see this before I posted it.
Posted by AgnosticRadar 2 years ago
You are very right Dj, except that it is an ancient practice. So quit being so butthurt. We humans are the apex predators. Fowl and birds are there for us to eat.
Posted by DJ-R3mix 2 years ago
Let the lameness begin
Posted by ZMowlcher 2 years ago
People cry fowl that the ducks/geese shouldn't be subjugated to this. I change the title to explain this.
Posted by Jabuticaba 2 years ago
What are we supposed to be debating for? I don't understand. You simply explained how they make food.
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited and and terrible conduct. 7 points to Pro.