KingofEverything
NikolaGustav

Fonic the Hedgehog is stupid

NikolaGustav
Started: 11/12/2015 Category: Funny

KingofEverything

Pro

Fonic the Hedgehog is a minecraft skin depicting a red hedgehog, and represents a counterpart of Sonic.

Round 1 is acceptance.
KingofEverything

Pro

The concept of one like Fonic is stupid because it isn't creative to use a Sonic texture and just slap on the color red on him. It is lazy and therefore makes Fonic the Hedgehog stupid and unoriginal.

I am no way preaching that the creator is stupid and that he should delete Fonic, just criticizing his or her creation.

If Fonic would have had an additional feature, then I wouldn't consider the concept to be stupid, but just taking Sonic and painting him red is a stupid concept.
NikolaGustav

Con

Simplicity is not the same as stupidity:

Hey you there! Do you like Minecraft, Sonic and the color red!? Well, have I got an ingenious idea for you!
Ladies and gentlemen, please allow me to introduce to you... Fonic the Hedgehog!
Not only does he let you dawn the super rad look of the speeding hedgehog himself, but he also makes you red!

"Why would I wanna be red?" I hear you asking. "Isn't that just a lazy design?"

Well, the answer is simple kind sir/madam:
Yes, yes it may be a lazy design, but it's still a genius Minecraft skin!

You see, using the Red "Fonic" skin instead of the Blue, "Sonic" skin will completely change the way you view the game and completely change the way other people view you.

How so?...

Red is energizing

Humans prioritize the color red over any other color. (1)
This is because red is a color that belongs to many of earth's most dangerous lifeforms and to many of our physical and sexual needs. Because of this, we automatically associate the color red with our most physical needs and our will to survive. It exudes a strong and powerful energy. It excites the emotions and motivates us to take action. It signifies a pioneering spirit and leadership qualities, promoting ambition and determination. It is also strong-willed and can give confidence to those who are shy or lacking in will power. (2)

It is easy to see how this could possibly give you a tactical advantage in the game... Fonic isn't sounding to stupid anymore is he?

A haiku to conclude:

I "gotta go fast"

But I don't wanna be blue

Fonic is red... YEAH!

Thank you,

(1) http://psychology.about.com...

(2) http://www.empower-yourself-with-color-psychology.com...
KingofEverything

Pro

Thank you to my opponent for responding.

I will rebut my opponent's case in this round and introduce a new argument.

"Well, the answer is simple kind sir/madam:
Yes, yes it may be a lazy design, but it's still a genius Minecraft skin!"

Here my opponent concedes that it is indeed a lazy design. Why do I bring this up? We will get to all of this later.

"You see, using the Red "Fonic" skin instead of the Blue, "Sonic" skin will completely change the way you view the game and completely change the way other people view you."

And here my opponent shows no evidence of either of the two extreme claims. Claim A suggests that using a Fonic skin can completely change how the player views the game, which is not supported by any evidence and is unlikely. Claim B suggests that people will view you differently. Depending on the context we are using, this claim could be right or wrong. If you mean that by people would view you differently in terms of a technicality, then that is true because unless you are color blind, most people would view red as different than blue. If you're saying people would like the red design better, than this is just another bare assertion with 0 evidence. Both of these claims ought to be disregarded due to its lack of evidence.

"Humans prioritize the color red over any other color. (1)
This is because red is a color that belongs to many of earth's most dangerous lifeforms and to many of our physical and sexual needs."

First of all, the preferences of colors are indeed subjective. Red may be recognized as a color that easily catches attention from people, but that doesn't mean people will like the color red. Second of all, if red reminds people of danger, they could easily be spooked from it. After all there is a phobia called Erythrophobia, which represents someone who is afraid of the color red. Now I am in no way saying that red is a worse color, but rather that color is subjective.

New argument: Fonic is a stupid name.

The creator: Arrrgh! What should I name my creation?

15 minutes later.... This is so haard!

Aha! Fonic because it rhymes with Sonic!

Because that is the best you can do when naming a creation.
NikolaGustav

Con

Thanks to Pro for his last round :)

Fonic and Sex:

In this debate, Pro assumes much and proves very little.

He assumes that Fonic is stupid because Fonic is "unoriginal."
He assumes that Fonic is stupid because it "is a stupid concept."
He assumes that "Fonic is stupid because it isn't creative"
He assumes that Fonic is stupid because "Fonic is a stupid name"

He makes no other claims in order to support his resolution.

Even if all of my opponent's claims were true, none of them would show that Fonic is a stupid design. Pro's arguments only claim that his creator didn't have to work very hard in order to make him.

Unless someone has erectile dysfunction (or a similar problem), it's not very hard to make a human either. Sex is not "creative", it's not "original" and yet, we are not a stupid species are we?

Does your creation define you as an individual?

What if your birth was an accident? Would that define your worth?

Your worth is not defined by the amount of effort that was put into your creation and neither was Fonic's.

Fonic may be like Sonic, but he has a different color scheme. If someone is similar to their parents, it doesn't mean that they are unoriginal or stupid. Heck, even if someone has an identical twin (meaning that they would have the exact same DNA as someone else), it doesn't make them stupid or less valuable.

Sonic is a hugely successful character and the Fonic design was hugely inspired by his. The use of Sonic's design may not be creative, but it was not a stupid idea. The similarities between Sonic and Fonic would seem to suggest that Fonic might become a successful Minecraft skin would it not? If people really like something, they are probably going to try similar things.
Thus, it would be smart to make a skin such as Fonic.

Also, "Fonic" is not a stupid name.The name Fonic rhymes with Sonic... so what? Rhyming names are not stupid. The name Fonic is certainly more creative than "Red Sonic" don't you think? Even if Fonic's name was stupid, that would not hinder his function as a minecraft skin.

The Function of Red:

In R2, I showed that chaining the Sonic design to the Fonic design was not stupid because the color red has a different physiological effect than the color blue. I said it would change the way you see the game and it would change the way people see you. I also said that, "It is easy to see how this could possibly give you a tactical advantage in the game."

Here is what my opponent had to say about these things:

"If you mean that by people would view you differently in terms of a technicality, then that is true because unless you are color blind, most people would view red as different than blue. If you're saying people would like the red design better, than this is just another bare assertion with 0 evidence."

To be clear, I never said that people "liked" the color red over the color blue. My opponent admits that I am right in saying that the Fonic would change the way you see the game and the way people see you. This proves my point about the function of Fonic and how it is different than Sonic.

"First of all, the preferences of colors are indeed subjective. Red may be recognized as a color that easily catches attention from people, but that doesn't mean people will like the color red. Second of all, if red reminds people of danger, they could easily be spooked from it. After all there is a phobia called Erythrophobia, which represents someone who is afraid of the color red. Now I am in no way saying that red is a worse color, but rather that color is subjective."

Once again, I said nothing about preference.

It is a scientific fact that we prioritize the color red over any other color.

Also, Erythrophobia is the fear of blushing, not the fear of the color red.(1)
I showed that red effects your brain differently than other colors and I used several different sources to prove my point. Science says that we "automatically associate the color red with our most physical needs and our will to survive."

It is very important that you survive in Minecraft.

This is why it would be a good idea to use a red Minecraft skin like Fonic.

A Haiku to Conclude:

Making Sonic red

Was a very smart idea

Fonic is not dumb

Designing the Fonic skin was not stupid. Using the Fonic skin would not be stupid.

For these reasons, please vote Con :)

Thank you,

Sources,

(1) http://motherboard.vice.com...
Posted by NikolaGustav 1 year ago
NikolaGustav
In R2, that should be, "Fonic isn't sounding *too stupid anymore" instead of what I put.
Vote Placed by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
KingofEverythingNikolaGustavTied
Reasons for voting decision: The neg lives in the status quo (stupidity is only attributable by people, therefore with no attribution it is not stupid) - this means if aff doesn't meet the BoP I give the win to neg | Aff's argument is just that Fonic is lazy, ergo stupid without any reasoning nor warrants for their claims. Neg in R3 explains that this means that aff doesn't meet their burden on the resolution - I buy this because in all honestly, simplicity does not mean stupidity, and aff didn't say why it did | Neg's argument that red is energising means that it can't be stupid because it has a purpose. Aff never rebuts this; just some individual claims (like people pick red over other colors - okay, even if you win this sole sentence then you don't disregard his position at all). | Aff - 0, Neg - 1 therefore, I vote neg. If it was 1-1 I would still presuppose neg because they are living in the status quo and if change and non-change is both valid, I'd choose non-change to the status quo. Message me for feedback