kuroshitsuji
DouggyFresh

Food industries and corporations are the main problem in the obesity of children

DouggyFresh

kuroshitsuji

Pro

Obesity is everyones fault overall, but the temptation is brought by the companies who create the food. They lure people in. If the temptation wasn't there, then no one would have the urge to eat their food. The children are being hypnotized into being unhealthy.
DouggyFresh

Con

I hereby accept the debate and will be arguing that food industries and corporations are not the main problem in the obesity of children.

Note that to win this debate I simply need to provide sufficient evidence that food industries and corporations are not the main problem in the obesity of children. This may be done by either giving sufficient evidence that another party is at fault for this issue, or that said parties are not at fault.

I start by addressing my opponent's premises.

P1: Obesity is everyone's fault overall, but the temptation is brought by the companies who create the food.

Pro admits that the full burden of obesity is not solely on the food industries and corporations (FICs hereafter), but shared by everyone. He further specifies that the portion of the burden that FICs are responsible for is the temptation. I challenge this statement by attempting to provide evidence that FICs are not fully responsible for the temptation people have to eat their food.

I will show evidence that FICs are not responsible for the fact that people are tempted to eat their food. I will provide evidence that the temptation to eat food in general is not caused by FICs, but by the human body itself. An excerpt from a biology textbook describes how hunger begins in the human body:

"The concentration of glucose in the bloodstream needs to be between 60 and 90 milligrams per 100 cubic centimetres of blood. If it falls below this range, then coma and death can result. [] In view of the crucial importance to us of maintaining appropriate levels of food, water, and warmth, it is not surprising that we have complex systems which monitor and regulate each of these factors." [1]

This source further explains how the process of homeostasis in humans regulates hunger, and creates a drive which results in increased conscious motivation to reduce that drive. The person will seek out situations that have in the past, reduced the need that created the drive; in this case, the person will look for food. When a person is hungry, and they see a commercial with food in it, or a nearby restaurant, they are in a state of increased susceptibility to pay attention to these external cues. A scientific paper examining attention levels and hunger concluded: "Results suggest that a non-emotional motivational state, such as hunger, is associated with a bias in certain aspects of information processing, such as selective attention, for stimuli that are relevant to the motivational state." [2]

I conclude my argument with the statement that temptation to eat is not brought by the FICs, but by the human body itself, and the FICs are merely there at the right place and the right time. This is similar to how tow trucks park near busy highways because they know that cars tend to break down on highways. The tow trucks are not themselves responsible for cars breaking down, they are simply providing a service that meets a need of someone who already has the motivation to reduce that need.

P2: If the temptation wasn't there, then no one would have the urge to eat their food.

I do not choose to challenge this statement. Since temptation is the urge to do something, this statement is circular and self affirming. However, let it be noted that this does not mean I accept that FICs are responsible for creating this temptation, which I argue in P1.

P3: The children are being hypnotized into being unhealthy.

I submit that hypnotized is the adjective form of someone afflicted by an act of hypnosis, which means; an artificially induced altered state of consciousness, characterized by heightened suggestibility and receptivity to direction.

I challenge Pro to either submit the intended definition of hypnotized/hypnosis, or otherwise show evidence that FICs are responsible for artificially inducing people into altered states of consciousness, with the effects of heightened suggestibility and receptivity to direction. I believe it is Pro's burden to prove this, rather than my burden to prove that it is not so, and thus simply stating that it is true is not sufficient to support his argument.

I believe I have sufficiently dis proven at this point that food industries and corporations are the main problem in the obesity of children.

[1] http://www.psypress.co.uk...
[2] Selective attention to food-related stimuli in hunger: are attentional biases specific to emotional and psychopathological states, or are they also found in normal drive states? Karin Mogg, Brendan P. Bradley, Harpfreet Hyare, Sui Lee. Behaviour Research and Therapy, Vol. 36, Issue 2, Feb. 1998, Pg 227–237
kuroshitsuji

Pro

kuroshitsuji forfeited this round.
DouggyFresh

Con

Darn it all....
Extend all points...
kuroshitsuji

Pro

kuroshitsuji forfeited this round.
DouggyFresh

Con

It's a shame, really. I thought this was going to be a good debate.
Posted by kuroshitsuji 5 years ago
kuroshitsuji
Thank you. I really am sorry though. I'll be fine but I have to keep going back and fourth from the hospital. Manuel we can have this debate again one day. It would be fun. Thank you and I'm sorry
Posted by DouggyFresh 5 years ago
DouggyFresh
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. Hope everything is ok
Posted by kuroshitsuji 5 years ago
kuroshitsuji
I am truely sorry to my Opponent. I was unable to complete this arguement. I have been dealing with some medical issues so I hope you cam understand. The winner should be my opponent. They definetly deserve it. Again I am sorry
Posted by DouggyFresh 5 years ago
DouggyFresh
I'm assuming Pro accepts the burden of proof, since they are arguing something to be true that has not been previously established, and dis proving his arguments is sufficient in winning the debate.
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
kuroshitsujiDouggyFreshTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF but all points to the con because this could have been an awesome debate
Vote Placed by royalpaladin 5 years ago
royalpaladin
kuroshitsujiDouggyFreshTied
Vote Placed by Xerge 5 years ago
Xerge
kuroshitsujiDouggyFreshTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit...
Vote Placed by airmax1227 5 years ago
airmax1227
kuroshitsujiDouggyFreshTied