Phil
tahoe8

Football Is Better Than Baseball

Started: 11/27/2007 Category: Sports

Phil

Pro

Football is a better sport than baseball for a host of reasons. First, it's entertaining from start to finish. Second, it requires greater team work, and is more competitive than baseball. And third, football is 1,000 times more manly than baseball.
tahoe8

Con

How can you argue against America's favorite pastime? It is almost unpatriotic!

1. Baseball has been around since the 1800's. The NFL has only been around since 1920.

2. Baseball has opened our eyes with regard to how we treat each other as human beings (i.e. race, sex, etc.) Football has only shown us that their players can get away murder, literally.

3. If we look at the most historic players in each sport, hands down baseball has had more memorable players than football to date. Even someone like Barry Bonds sticks out more than almost any historic football player.

4. As for watching the game, football players only play 16 games whereas baseball players play 162, that's over 10x's as many games!! You can't tell me that you are more entertained in the shortened season of football than all 7 months of baseball!
Phil

Pro

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Take a deep breath there Corky…don't get so worked up. It's just a friendly debate, and there's no need to get so panicky. Baseball "was" America's favorite pastime, but as is true with most things, we Americans have grown in our maturity and understanding of what is good, and what is not. We now understand how much better football (not soccer you European weenies) is than baseball. I see you've chosen the bullet point method to outline your points. Allow me to reciprocate:

1. Baseball is clearly the un-American of the two sports. Baseball is more like a European socialistic/dictatorship. Everyone stands behind some guy in tights, and watches him bend at the waist for five hours, while some umpire (the dictator in this case) decides if his balls were in the right place.

2. Personally, I think watching paint dry is more American (and more exciting) than watching a baseball game.

3. Neither baseball nor football is a sociology experiment. According to your statement, we're lazy spoiled overpaid athletes who can strike when we don't get our way. I prefer that America look more like football. That is, we work well as a team, in fact we either live or die as a team. We have a clear chosen leader, the best man (or woman for the winey feminists) for the job. Every play is thought out, risks are weighed, and every inch counts. Heck, a football game is the equivalent of battle, and the whole season is the equivalent of war. For those of you who think war is bad…you are a moron. Had we never fought WW2, Hitler would have won. In fact, baseball is the liberal equivalent of how to fight a war…stand around and throw things at each other. Football is non-stop hitting. It's violent, and aggressive, oh oh oh (Tim "The Toolman" Taylor grunts).

4. The fact that baseball players are able to play 162 games, tells me it's not a difficult sport. I think a tremendous amount of talent is required to make it to the Big Leagues, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's a difficult sport. In football, it literally takes a week to recover before the players can again do battle.

5. In response to your comment, my face was mangled from a hang gliding accident, not football. Although I'd gladly give up my pretty face for the game of football.

The bottom line is that football is without question more exciting than baseball. Football better represents real life, and more closely resembles the American way of life.

FOLLOW THE MONEY...

"The NFL is the richest sports league in the world, with the average team worth some $957 million. And the Dallas Cowboys, the most valuable team in the NFL, are now the single most valuable sports franchise on the planet, worth $1.5 billion.

Pro football is also the most profitable sport on the planet (mean operating income in 2006 was $17.8 million on $204 million in revenue). Although its television ratings have slipped in the past decade, the NFL still beats the daylights out of other prime-time programming, including every other sport. Nearly three out of every four Americans watched an NFL game on television last season." (1)

(1) http://www.forbes.com...

(In case anyone is wondering, my opponent and I have something in common...the same parents.)
tahoe8

Con

tahoe8 forfeited this round.
Posted by SportsGuru 9 years ago
SportsGuru
as far as which is more "American" football is basically a wimpy version of the non-american rugby. Rugby just doesn't have flags, forward passes, and running out of bounds = turnover while baseball is at best cricket more bent out of shape and recognition than a contortionist
Posted by believer_720 9 years ago
believer_720
First of all, I'm new here, and I'd like to say how interesting it is to have a debate in the comments of a debate. =D

I agree with Phil here. Football always has something exciting, and /anything/ can happen. Baseball is /the/ most boring sport on TV. There are so many foul balls, there's hardly anything worth watching. In football, there's always that one great defensive or offensive play.
Posted by shlh1514 9 years ago
shlh1514
Hey soccer is a tough sport to play and its been showen how rivals can take the sport of soccer to a bloodly level. One example is the Italy vs. USA game when blood came out of the midfielder's nose. So soccer can be a dangerous sport, not only do the players get at it but the fans enjoy the passion it brings and the choas.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I love my Red Sox !!! and I love my Pats ! I love both equally so I cant make a decision :) They are both wonderful :)
Posted by BravesFan33 9 years ago
BravesFan33
Yeah, this year's Sox might have just been the best baseball team ever assembled. It's hard though...the '98 Yankees and '95 Braves were both good. And as far as the Patriots...the Colts should definitely have beaten 'em...Peyton played great. But New England's just too good. They play as a team. They'll go undefeated I think.
Posted by easy2know 9 years ago
easy2know
Hey..all I know is the Boston Red Sox won the world series..woo-hoo...as far as football..go Patriots..all sports pass our time..:o) Honey please get me a beer and pass the chips..jk...lol
Posted by righty10294 9 years ago
righty10294
baseball is America's pasttime.
Posted by yoon172 9 years ago
yoon172
Well, I like football because it is one of the tradional American sport and it is more manly.
Posted by BravesFan33 9 years ago
BravesFan33
Baseball is dull only to the dull minded.
Posted by Phil 9 years ago
Phil
Apology accepted. Everyone...this debate is just for fun. I'm debating my actual brother. He's a baseball fanatic, and I live for football. We're just having fun...it's not serious. We're not actually comparing either of the two sports to America, or war. We're just playing around. There are serious debates, and debates that aren't too serious. This one is the latter.
Vote Placed by dwest23 8 years ago
dwest23
Philtahoe8Tied
Vote Placed by DoctrinallyCorrect 8 years ago
DoctrinallyCorrect
Philtahoe8Tied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 8 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
Philtahoe8Tied
Vote Placed by indicolts 9 years ago
indicolts
Philtahoe8Tied
Vote Placed by spoon171 9 years ago
spoon171
Philtahoe8Tied
Vote Placed by believer_720 9 years ago
believer_720
Philtahoe8Tied
Vote Placed by PoeJoe 9 years ago
PoeJoe
Philtahoe8Tied
Vote Placed by nrw 9 years ago
nrw
Philtahoe8Tied
Vote Placed by Jokerdude 9 years ago
Jokerdude
Philtahoe8Tied
Vote Placed by mikelwallace 9 years ago
mikelwallace
Philtahoe8Tied