FreeThinker35
Brian314

Football is a "better" sport than Basketball

Brian314
Started: 4/26/2011 Category: Sports

FreeThinker35

Pro

Well, some of the reasons why:

1. It seems to be more competitive and physical. When I look at football I am not only waiting for the big play, but every now and then I am waiting to see a defensive or offensive player get hit in the mouth or taken down with such force that it causes me to open my mouth in amazement. Anytime you see a tackle or hit, and the crowd collectively screams in excitement, then it was a huge play. Fans want to see players hit hard sometimes (not to the point where it causes physical injury) but it heightens the excitement. With basketball the only exciting moments are dunks, and the occasional buzzer beating shot. Usually the game slows down because there are too many fouls which means seeing free throw shots.

2. Better marketing. During the season and the playoffs, the NFL has prided itself on marketing. I seem to see more commercials during that time geared towards beer, NFL apparel, and NFL players that represent various products in person (i.e. old spice commercials by Ray Lewis). Fans love it because the NFL markets towards what they want. The marketing for the NBA is a bit cheap, and in some cases not very effective. It just seems to me (especially during the super bowl) the NFL markets much better in comparison. Fans want the products the NFL is advertising thus you have more popularity.
Brian314

Con

I thank my opponent for the debate. Before we begin, I'd like to make a clarification, that when we say "football" we are referring to American football.

I would first like to look at his arguments:

1. My opponent claims that when he watches football, he is "waiting for the big play", as well as "waiting to see a defense or offensive player get hit". Notice that he is constantly "waiting". Basketball, on the other hand, is extremely fast paced, where things are constantly changing- scores can change drastically in short amounts of time, and something exciting can happen anytime. He also claims that football is more competitive. However, the Olympics has an event for basketball and not American football, showing basketball's greater competitiveness.

2. My opponent talks about the NFL's marketing strategies. However, I would like to point out that this debate is not at all regarding which governing sports organization is better, but which sport as a game is better. As Football's marketing is not directly involved in its gameplay, the argument about the NFL's marketing strategies and commercials are irrelevant to this debate.

I would now like to add some contentions of my own to this debate:

1. The one thing that really stands out about basketball is that anything can happen at any moment. As compared to football, it is easier to recover from being behind by many points in basketball due to the nature of the game. A good example of this is the Bulls/Celtics Game 6 [1], in which the final nine minutes of the game consisted of many twists and turns for the came, completely changing the outcome of the game.

2. Basketball courts are more common and more public than football stadiums, which means that more people have access to them and can play them more often, therefore making it a more accessible sport and better.

I'm out of characters, so I will now turn the debate to my opponent.

[1] http://espn.go.com...
FreeThinker35

Pro

Sorry for writting this at the elleventh hour but, it has been a pretty hectic week for me.
I will like to add some arguments and I will like to state that I will be responding to your responce regarding 1 &2 from the previous argument due to character limit

Fitness

Football demands more physical interaction and workout, thus it promotes better health and fitness among individuals. Below there are some pretty acurate estimates about the calories burned while in competetive/noncompetetive basketball and football.
Calories Burned per Hour
130 lb
155 lb
180 lb
205 lb
Basketball game,
472
563
654
745
Football game,
531
663
735
848

Playing
It's the only place where hitting is not only tolerated but encouraged as a need. When playing it is exellent for stress relief and getting out anger. Football also has other great merits. It is amazing to watch the acrobatic and quick moves those guys can do while wearing around 20 pounds of padding. Something you cannot see in basketball.

Teamwork
Football is truly a team dynamic. If one guy messes up, the whole play is dead. It takes all 11 guys working together in sync to make a play go. I also see more strategy in football, now I know there are strategies in basketball too, but In football there are a limitless number of formations you can line up in and an equally limitless number of plays to call

Availability
You state that people have more access to playing basketball than to playing football but this is not true, there is no need to go to a stadium to have a fun day with your friends. All you need is an open area and a ball.You don't need pre printed lines on the floor to play all you need are some markers like cones or even a shoe which designates where the touchdown area is. These simple elements can easily instigate a competetive and exiting game as oppose to basketball which requires a hoop, in other words a court.

[1] http://www.nutristrategy.com...
Brian314

Con

My opponent first touches on the physical fitness aspect of football, and stating that more calories are burned by playing a football game as opposed to a basketball game. While this may be true, basketball allows a person to use a variety of different muscle groups when playing the sport. For example, basketball includes, running, jumping, and arm exercise from dribbling constantly.

Next, my opponent touches on the uniqueness of football by stating that "it is amazing to watch the acrobatic and quick moves those guys can do while wearing around 20 pounds of padding". This argument has two flaws. The first is that it is entirely opinion-based, and not everyone will share the same opinion. The second is that my opponent is listing things that are unique to football with no concrete reason as to why they make football better. Every sport, including football and basketball, has its unique points that make it enjoyable- but these unique points cannot be used on their own as a reason to be "better" than another sport.

Regarding teamwork, my opponent mentions the limitless number of things that can happen. However, in football, there are common "plays" that are used very often in games[1]. On the other hand, in basketball, the game isn't divided into definite "plays", and anything can happen at any moment.

My opponent talks about the availability of football and basketball playing areas, and states that one can play football anywhere there is a field, but in basketball, one needs a court. While this may be true, playing basketball on a court gives the game a greater realism because it's look and feel is nearly identical to what professional basketball players play their game on- a court with lines and hoops at either end. Alternatively, playing in an open area using a shoe as a touchdown area removes that sense of realism.

I would elaborate, but I cannot, due to character limit. I look forward to the next round.

[1] http://www.mademan.com...;
FreeThinker35

Pro

Due to the very tight character limit I will only focus on Athletics
In the 1st round I only focused on Entertainment now I will continue to focus of Fitness. Both important factor of a sport.

Sport [1]

1.An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment
2. Entertainment; fun
3.A source of amusement or entertainment

Football provides superior workouts and fitness levels. Football allows a person to use a wider variety of different muscle group. Football demands running, jumping, kicking and throwing the ball.

"...basketball allows a person to use a variety of different muscle groups when playing the sport. For example, basketball includes, running, jumping, and arm exercise from dribbling constantly"

1.Lower Body Running at relatively high speeds while wearing heavy equipment ( Often longer distances than Basketball up to 100 yds. ), "explosive" jumping, and field kicks plus punts. Here, you work your quadriceps, lower leg,hamstrings, and calve muscles.

2.Upper body:

Important upper body muscles you use during catching and throwing are pectorals (chest) and triceps. If you play a skilled position (running back, wide receiver, defensive back, or tight end) the you may also work on (abs) and traps (shoulder area near the neck).

Football promotes:
Maximum speed, acceleration and agility
Muscular endurance
Flexibility and mobility

(On average football burns about 100 more calories than basketball)

One last thing... Football is more entertaining and more acclaimed than basketball. This is the second reason why American Football is better. Over 106 Million people watched Super bowl 2010 ! But only 28 M. watched the NBA finals both the most important events in each sport. I think this shows the love and admiration directed towards football.

Both sports are great games, but I think Football just has superior qualities.

Brian314

Con

My opponent has disregarded and dropped all of my refutations except for one and has ignored my contentions, therefore, those are counted as concessions all of those are extended.

My opponent says that football "demands running, jumping, kicking, and throwing the ball." Next, my opponent goes on to show that football has physical benefits, giving details that show that muscles are improved, and speed, acceleration, agility, endurance, flexibility, and mobility are promoted. I maintain that as basketball also promotes speed, endurance, and mobility.

Notice that here, my opponent gives no reason as to why football is "better" than basketball, he only gives reasons as to why football is unique. Therefore, since all sports are unique, this argument cannot be counted as an argument as to why football is better than basketball.

The two arguments that my opponent returns to is that football burns more calories, and football is more entertaining. Regarding entertainment value, my opponent mentions the number of people that watch important sports events. However, research shows that at least 54%[3] of people only watch the super bowl for the commercials, not the sport itself.

Since my opponent has conceded to all of his original points and most of my refuations, has not satisfied his burden of proof to show why football is better than basketball, and as his only argument is that football burns more calories, I urge you to vote Con.

[1] http://www.youth-basketball-tips.com...
[2] http://www.sportsknowhow.com...
[3] http://www.mlive.com...
Posted by seraine 3 years ago
seraine
My favourite part about basketball is that everyone gets an equal shot. In football, if you're an offensive lineman, you sure aren't going to get as much recognition as the quarterback. In basketball, however, if you have the talent you can get recognition. This also attains to things other than recognition, such as elation when you make an important play.
Posted by FreeThinker35 3 years ago
FreeThinker35
* will like to add some arguments and I will like to state that I will be responding to your responce regarding 1 &2 from the previous argument in the next round due to character limit.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 3 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
FreeThinker35Brian314Tied
Reasons for voting decision: "My opponent has disregarded and dropped all of my refutations except for one and has ignored my contentions, therefore, those are counted as concessions all of those are extended." - indeed, pro this is not a lecture, you need to debate
Vote Placed by MontyKarl91 3 years ago
MontyKarl91
FreeThinker35Brian314Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Very well run debate. Though neither of you convinced me, you both ran a clean debate with interesting facts. Because of Pro's failure to refute Con's claims, I award this to Con 3:2. Good debate