evanjfarrar
eganbrooks100

Foreign Coaches on National Sport Teams

evanjfarrar
Started: 7/7/2015 Category: Sports

evanjfarrar

Con

Hello all. This debate is on whether or not national sport teams (representing an entire nation on the international stage) should hire foreign coaches. I will be arguing against the resolution, and will claim that foreign coaches should not be hired for national sport teams. My opponent will argue that there is no problem with hiring foreign coaches, and the practice should be continued.

Full Resolution

Foreign coaches should be able to be hired to administer national sport teams, and represent them on an international stage.

Definitions

national sport team:
  1. A national sports team (commonly known as a national team or national side) is a team that represents a nation, rather than a particular club or region, in a sport.
coach:
  1. In sports, a coach is a person involved in the direction, instruction and training of the operations of a sports team or of individual sportspeople.
Format

R1: Acceptance ONLY
R2: All Main Arguments
R3: Rebuttal (no new arguments)
R4: Final Rebuttal/Conclusion (no new arguments)

This debate will comprise of extended, well-developed arguments. Each debater is obligated to follow the above-mentioned guidelines for round structure, or else the debater will automatically forfeit the entire debate. Formal decorum is a requirement.

----------------

I await my opponent's acceptance.
eganbrooks100

Pro

I accept this debate.
evanjfarrar

Con

Hello all. In the following arguments, I will attempt to articulate, to the best of my ability, how the hiring of foreign coaches for national teams should not be continued.

Arguments

C1: National Identity

The fundamental purpose of a national team is to build a national identity through sport, and to unite the nation in support on the international stage. Therefore, it is vital that national teams, and the staff of these teams thereof, be comprised of players and officials which are solely from the respective nation.

The inclusion of a coach from a foreign country in a national team defeats the purpose of a national team altogether; with a foreign coach involved with the national team, the team is no longer comprised of players and officials from the nation represented. Because of this fundamental dilemma, the hiring of foreign coaches for national teams should be discontinued.

C2: Relatability

Relating with players is a vital job for any coach. A coach must actively engage with the team to ensure success, and with national teams competing on an international level, it is crucial for the coach to retain a level of relatability with the players from the nation.

With the coach coming from another nation with a different culture, the coach will fail to relate as much to the players as a coach from the respective nation. Because of this issue, foreign coaches should not be hired for national teams, for the purposes of performance and internal chemistry.

C3: Lack of Domestic Support and Growth

By denying managers from the indigenous nation to take charge of the national team, there will be little chance for domestic leagues, however small and insignificant, to feel supported and grow. With an indigenous manager, however, the league in the national team's respective country will be well-supported, and managers from the nation will be improved.

With a budding domestic league, national teams will have a much larger pool to select from, both with managers and players, and by selecting managers indigenous to the nation, the domestic league will have a much brighter future.

-----------------------

Clearly, managers indigenous to the nation should be hired to coach the country's national team. Foreign managers defeat the fundamental purpose of a national team, and do not share the same level of relatability that indigenous managers do. Also, managers from the respective country, however inexperienced, may gain experience and prestige from their presence on the international stage, and will bring a bright future back for domestic leagues and their country as a whole.

It is resolved that foreign coaches should not be hired for national sport teams.
eganbrooks100

Pro

eganbrooks100 forfeited this round.
evanjfarrar

Con

My arguments extend. I have nothing to rebut.
eganbrooks100

Pro

eganbrooks100 forfeited this round.
evanjfarrar

Con

Extend. My opponent has conceded in full.
eganbrooks100

Pro

eganbrooks100 forfeited this round.
Posted by cathaystewie 1 year ago
cathaystewie
Haha, it's okay. I'd love to debate you on this topic when I have the time to read up on some material :P Anyhow, good luck on this one!
Posted by evanjfarrar 1 year ago
evanjfarrar
Sorry, but posting in R3 would give both of us little time to discuss your claims, as the debate is only 4 rounds. I'll have to decline your offer. :(
Posted by cathaystewie 1 year ago
cathaystewie
I may accept this debate if you allow arguments to be presented in R3
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
evanjfarrareganbrooks100Tied
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
evanjfarrareganbrooks100Tied