nreed2
Kwhite7298

Forensics should be part of the required high school English curriculum

nreed2

Pro

This is the competitive debate debate with the correct technical wording.
This debate is standard lincoln-Douglas evicence rules. Mainly using this as a source for counterarguments for a paper for acc. english class and as a result may forfiet a round or two if I do not have time with school. format is as folows.

1st round:acceptance and confrimation of roles
2nd round:opening arguments
3rd round: counterarguments and new arguments
4th round:counterarguments and new arguments
5th round: conclusion, no new info.

Lincoln-Douglas evidence rules are as folows for those who do not know:
Debaters should only use evidence that is accurate and thoroughly referenced in their speeches. (ALL EVIDENCE MUST BE FROM A PUBLISHED SOURCE, AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC, AND VERIFIABLE.)
In both prepared speeches and speeches composed with limited preparation time, debaters should use evidence that is accurately and directly quoted. The evidence should be quoted with proper respect to the context of the original source. The first time a source is presented, the debater must state the full source when introducing the evidence. A "full source" is assumed to include author"s name, author"s qualifications (when apparent in the original), full date, and title of source. Page numbers need not be read during the debate, but should be available upon request. Once a source has been cited, evidence subsequently cited from the source need only include the author"s and/or publication"s name as well as a phrase along the lines of "previously cited." Both speakers in a debate are required to make available to their opponent copies of any evidence used in the round, including the affirmative constructive speech. The evidence must be returned to the speaker at the end of the debate.
If a debater, during the course of the debate, charges his/her opponent with violating an ethical standard, the debate shall immediately cease. The judge will bring the students to a member of the tournament committee and the debater making the charge will fill out a formal complaint according to the provisions under (1) in the section "Violation of the Code of Ethics." The complaint will then be adjudicated as in any other complaint. If the debater making the charge during the round refuses to file a formal complaint, that debater will receive a loss for the debate. Complaints made after a round will follow the standard procedure listed in the "violation" section of the Code of Ethics.
Students may use evidence from non-written sources as long as the veracity of the evidence may be verified. Information gathered from personal and/or phone interviews, as well as information from electronic sources, may be used, provided the student does the following:

Indicates during the performance the name of the source, date the information was collected, and method used to collect the information; and,
Possesses a means to verify the accuracy of the evidence should it be formally challenged. Verification may include a transcript of the interview, broadcast, etc., a notarized letter of authenticity from the source identifying specific passages from the performance as accurate, and/or phone numbers at which the source may be reached to verify the veracity of the information. (This last option is not recommended as the sole option since the source may not be reachable at the time an ethical charge is made.)
I thank Kwhite7298 for accepting this debate and look forward to an interesting debate.
Kwhite7298

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate and I hereby agree to all of the rules and formats (LD style) set forth in the fist post.

I am a huge advocate of forensics in high school and currently compete in DX/IX (extemp ftw :D )

I would now like to give my opponent the floor.
nreed2

Pro

Because I am using this to get counter arguments, I will let my opponent have the first argument.
Kwhite7298

Con

Kwhite7298 forfeited this round.
nreed2

Pro

First I would like to thank my opponent for the interesting arguments and I ask the readers to not penalize him for his forfeit seeing he did post his argument in comments immediately after forfeiting. Now, second, I will address your second argument first. First off, as far as people with a mental disability, I am one of those people. I have autism and adhd, I am in 2 accelerated classes. For the severely mentally disabled as well as the blind, deaf, or mute, they can get excused from the course through their IEP. Finally, as far as bias is concerned. My social studies teacher admits that every teacher plays favorites even if they try not to, even in non-ideological classes.
Kwhite7298

Con

Kwhite7298 forfeited this round.
nreed2

Pro

do not have a lot of time so just posting basic ideas.
1.Forensics increases critical thinking and public speaking skills
2.Forensics increases self-confidence
Kwhite7298

Con

Kwhite7298 forfeited this round.
nreed2

Pro

nreed2 forfeited this round.
Kwhite7298

Con

See comments for my speech.

My opponent failed to prove that Forensics is a fair unbiased system, and therefore, it should not be required in the high school English curriculum.

For the reasons presented in my original AC, I strongly urge a con ballot.
Posted by Kwhite7298 3 years ago
Kwhite7298
First affirmative construction
Posted by nreed2 3 years ago
nreed2
My argument was purely from personal expierience
Posted by nreed2 3 years ago
nreed2
What is a 1ac
Posted by Kwhite7298 3 years ago
Kwhite7298
if possible, could you post your 1AC in the comments because I can't refute any points as of now.
Posted by Kwhite7298 3 years ago
Kwhite7298
Second source from 1ac: http://io9.com...

Contention 2: Forensics-classes would be unfair to the disabled

a) Blind students

Braille is a currently unbiased system that would be fair for forensics competition. However, according to an article posted in the Gainesville Sun on February 19, 2010, written by Danielle Hipps:

"In Alachua County alone, there are 4,646 visually impaired people, and of them only 5 percent use Braille, according to Maxine Stallings, president of the Alachua County Council of the Blind."

Forensics requires reading and listening. How can you refute a debate if you can't read the online articles? How can you CX in Extemp if you can't take notes? How can you adequately perform an HI, DI, or DUO without being able to read the piece? Forensics is a biased system.

b) Mentally or physically challenged students

According to an article posted on the National Institute of Mental Health, about 21.4% of children ages 8-15 are affected by a serious mental disorder. 46.3% of children in the same age bracket are affected by any mental disorder. [3] Is it really fair to force students to take a class that they may be physically unable to complete? Is it really fair to reach a new level of hypocrisy, outright violating the principles of equality and freedom set forth in our constitution? It is simply not fair to turn our backs and kick the disabled to the ground.

For these reasons, I strongly encourage a CON ballot.
Posted by Kwhite7298 3 years ago
Kwhite7298
I thank my opponent for starting this debate. My 1AC will be spanned over 2 comments, as that is 4,000 characters.

Contention 1: Forensics is not an equal, fair event

Here in America we strive for an equal education system for every child. The American Civil Liberties Union of 125 Broad Street, New York, NY, reported on July 17, 2003:

"All kids living in the United States have the right to a free public education. And the Constitution requires that all kids be given equal educational opportunity no matter what their race, ethnic background, religion, or sex, or whether they are rich or poor, citizen or non-citizen." [1]

Note where it says religion. Religion, although not directly related to forensics, has similar reasoning behind it. A student should not be judged for their beliefs. Religious beliefs and political beliefs have very few differences. When it comes to forensics, we need to realize that of the 10 NFL recognized events, 7 directly involve political and/or moral standpoints. [2] In the education system, we need a fair and just mean of grading -- unfortunately, forensics is biased. Everyone has had that one judge that insists on giving you low scores. However, as NYU psychologist George Dvorsky published in the article "The 12 Cognitive Biases that Prevent you From Being Rational" on io9.com:

"We tend to be put off by individuals, groups, and news sources that make us feel uncomfortable or insecure about our views " what the behavioral psychologist B. F. Skinner called cognitive dissonance. It's this preferential mode of behavior that leads to the confirmation bias " the often unconscious act of referencing only those perspectives that fuel our pre-existing views, while at the same time ignoring or dismissing opinions " no matter how valid " that threaten our world view."

Is it really fair to leave the grades and futures of students in the hands of people who may subconsciously make unfair judgments?
Posted by Kwhite7298 3 years ago
Kwhite7298
Wow...really sorry I forfeitted. I can post my 1AC in the comments if that's okay...I literally just missed it.