lord_megatron
bearski

Forfeiting without explanation is a conduct violation in DDO

lord_megatron

lord_megatron

Pro

Of course it is! In a real life debate, you don't just leave the table and walk away without saying anything. If an opponent forfeits a round without any reason, I am justified to give the conduct point to the other debater.
bearski

Con

I have a debate to which someone accepted the challenge, made a brief statement in which the contender announced s/he would be taking a position which was not responsive to the question proposed for debate. Subsequently the contender forfeited the next two rounds.

Clearly by his or her conduct the Contender disapproves of the debate topic and accepted the challenge to keep the debate from going forward. Now the topic is quite probably not a very good one and if that is the case such a factor should be considered in evaluating a participant's forfeiting.

Another argument I will make in regard to this is if the Contender enters a debate in bad faith as demonstrated by his or her either not posting an argument that is forfeiting or posting something which clearly fails to address the topic-- then I think the Instigator should have the option to cancel the debate. There is already the option available to the Instigator to disqualify a Contender from further debates which the Instigator starts. In fact I believe that is a more effective penalty

And thank you for offering this topic for debate.
lord_megatron

Pro

"I have a debate to which someone accepted the challenge, made a brief statement in which the contender announced s/he would be taking a position which was not responsive to the question proposed for debate. Subsequently the contender forfeited the next two rounds."
The instigator could ask the contender to take the required position, so simply say its not a troll debate and give the required arguments for his side. Simply saying "I give up" is better than forfeiting.
"Clearly by his or her conduct the Contender disapproves of the debate topic and accepted the challenge to keep the debate from going forward. Now the topic is quite probably not a very good one and if that is the case such a factor should be considered in evaluating a participant's forfeiting."
I am sure that most members who want to change resolutions or definitions would post in the comments rather than accepting the debate. Even if that is the case, forfeiting is not justified. Even a definitions debate is better than no debate.

"Another argument I will make in regard to this is if the Contender enters a debate in bad faith as demonstrated by his or her either not posting an argument that is forfeiting or posting something which clearly fails to address the topic-- then I think the Instigator should have the option to cancel the debate. "
That way, instigators who are losing the debate can easily cancel their debate and maintain their ELO.

While there are many troll debaters on this site, due to vote moderators there are no troll votes, therefore even if a troll debater accepts the debate, the instigator should go ahead with his normal arguments, point out the fact that the contender has no arguments that relate to the resolution and try their best to make their stand clear. With forfeit, these kind of things can't happen.
bearski

Con

With regard to the Instigator being allowed to cancel a debate where the Contender is acting in bad faith there would have to be some criteria which would need to be met for the Instigator to cancel the debate. Here the only criteria which would need to be met is the simple fact the Contender has refused to participate after accepting the challenge. Participating badly or trolling in other ways wouldn't qualify.

As I write my argument I find myself going off on argument about trolling and defending it in some ways. I understand it to have a rather negative connotation but I do not believe in practice that is universally true. That is in the sense trolling is always bad. Speaking of trolling you mentioned a response to the tactic under debate would be to deny it is a troll tropic. But what if it is but nonetheless could still be debated within the prescribed boundaries.?

I have participated on a number of boards and forums and have moderated a couple of them. From both my experience and from what I have read the best and most effective way to deal with obnoxious trolls is to ignore them and not engage in questionable tactics yourself. To me the anti-trolls, which I will contend is itself a form of trolling, can be as annoying as the trolls.

I suspect this has been more of a discussion than a debate but I hope at least in some ways it has been constructive.

Oh you spoke of voting on here. I have been learning about it having had a couple of my votes rejected. What I have seen of the process it seems quite fair

Perfect spilling again. At least I might win that one
lord_megatron

Pro

Suppose I disdain your argument about defending trolling, does that justify my forfeiting this debate? No, it doesn't.
The best way to handle a troll debate is to ignore them and go ahead with with you were going to do in the first place. Just look at the vi_spex debates. He has lost most of them due to his troll arguments.
As for the criteria for instigator to cancel a debate, it would require programming from Juggle which I don't see anytime soon. Plus, it would be hard for a bot to do so. A debate moderation team could sanction it, but isn't it better to win against the troll rather than delete the debate itself?
This was a good debate, or as you put it, discussion.
bearski

Con

Likewise thank you for a good debate/discussion. I will end it there.

Posted by lord_megatron 11 months ago
lord_megatron
I think parkerwill's vote would be removed, unless this debate remains incognito
Vote Placed by parkerwil 11 months ago
parkerwil
lord_megatronbearskiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Good debate/discussion. Both made good arguments. I felt though Pro had more convincing arguments. Conduct from both sides was equal. Pro had better grammar; Con had a grammar mistakes, and about two spelling mistakes.