cardboardstereo
Harlan

Forks are better than spoons.

Harlan

cardboardstereo

Pro

They both have the sort of inverted dip, good for scooping food. However, forks have prongs, and spoons are rounded and dull at the tip. A fork is clearly much more beneficial to eat with, and you can eat a wider variety of food with this utensil.
Harlan

Con

While many foods can be eaten with forks, very few foods NEED forks to be eaten. They are trivial and unimportant utensils. Basically any food that can be eaten with a fork can be eaten just as easily with one's hands. "Spoon-foods" however (pourage, soup, lintels, hot or cold cereal, yogurt, cottage cheese, apple sauce) cannot be eaten with one's hands.

So if a culture had to decide between only using forks and only using spoons, it would only have minor effects to lack forks, while it would be disastrous to not have spoons. It would render many foods un-eatable. It would be most logical for the culture to give up forks. In fact while forks are mostly a western thing, spoons are used in some form pretty much all over the world. For instance in oriental culture there are no forks, but there are spoons of sorts. While forks are a nice convenience, spoons are absolutely necessary.

You will respond that there are a few foods eaten with forks that cannot be eaten with one's hands (such as fried eggs, macaroni and cheese, etc.), but these foods are the kinds of foods that you can just as easily be eaten with a spoon. The reverse does not apply though, and eating oatmeal with a fork is very difficult.

-Harlan
cardboardstereo

Pro

Woo! I'm surprised someone actually accepted this. So thank you! ^^;

This isn't really an argument based on necessity, it's based on efficiency. Regardless of whether we need either of them, humans are always going to use them[until of course a more effective means of eating is developed.] simply because they facilitate the act of eating. In the sense of [need] however, For those foods that can't be eaten with forks, you can slurp them. And little kids LOVE slurping, even I do. Ask adults, and I'd say the majority of the cool ones love slurping. 'Cause it's just the cool kid thing to do. Thus eliminating the need for spoons. But you can't really slurp salad or macaroni and cheese, which is like my favorite meal of all time.

Aside from just being used to eat, forks are physically cooler! They're more interesting to look at, even if they're just plain plastic ware used for picnics. They feel better. Well, not in a weird way. Unless you're into that kinky stuff, but let's avoid that. But they have more texture. You can actually chew on a fork when extremely bored because it's flexible, but a spoon's design is hard to chew on. On the other hand, the word spoon is much cooler than the word fork, so I'll give you that.

In oriental culture..I've seen forks. At Panda express they have forks. If you're talking authentic, I'm sure if you fly to Asia they incorporate forks into their meals. Also, I believe they primarily use chopsticks. Which are undoubtedly more similar to forks than spoons.

- Mel.
Harlan

Con

I will first answer each of your points in turn.

<<"This isn't really an argument based on necessity, it's based on efficiency">>

I'm sorry but I fail to see how the term "efficiency" can be applied to the merit of an eating utensil. Anyways, if it's necessary, that means it is useful, which would constitute as giving the utensil merit.

<<"Regardless of whether we need either of them, humans are always going to use them">>

Yes, but we could still say that spoons are "better" because they are more useful and serve more of a purpose.

<<"For those foods that can't be eaten with forks, you can slurp them">>

Ah yes, but now we must compare eating with one's hands as I suggest or eating with one's face as my opponent suggests. Slurping implies bending over and slurping up your food, which can be difficult and messy if you are eating something like yogurt, off of a plate. If we were canines, I would agree that slurping is more convenient. However, we are primates, with opposable thumbs. We have our own eating utensils built into our body: hands. It is much more convenient for us primates to pick up our food and place it into our mouths then to hunch over and use our flat, snout-less faces to slurp up food.

<<"'Cause it's just the cool kid thing to do.">>

Actually the cool thing to do is use a Spork, but that's outside the range of this debate.

<<"But you can't really slurp salad or macaroni and cheese, which is like my favorite meal of all time.">>

Yes, but you CAN eat salad with your hands, or eat macaroni and cheese with a spoon.

<<"Aside from just being used to eat, forks are physically cooler!">>

More like dangerous, they are sharp and could hurt little kids.

<<"They're more interesting to look at, even if they're just plain plastic ware used for picnics.">>

More interesting to look at?! Have you ever looked at a spoon? You can see you're reflection, but it's a cool distorted reflection you can use to mess with your features. You can make your mouth giant, or your forehead wide. It's literally hours of entertainment.

<<"They feel better">>

They feel sharp and painful.

<<"the word spoon is much cooler than the word fork, so I'll give you that.">>

Yes, and it is also the name of an awesome band from Austin, Texas, which is where I live.

<<"In oriental culture..I've seen forks. At Panda express they have forks.">>

Here is what Wikipedia says on Panda Express:

"Panda Express is a fast casual restaurant chain serving Americanized Chinese cuisine. It operates mainly inside the United States of America, in shopping malls, supermarkets, airports, train stations, strip plazas, theme parks, college campuses and The Pentagon. It is one of the largest such chains of Chinese fast food restaurants in the United States."

That's right, not Chinese cuisine, but "Americanized Chinese cuisine". This does not prove anything about oriental culture, and Ill wager the Panda express you went to was in the US. The Oriental culture at panda express has been adapted to a western world, for americans.

<<"If you're talking authentic, I'm sure if you fly to Asia they incorporate forks into their meals.">>

Whether or not they, in this modern globalized age, use forks is irrelevant, the point I was making is that you can easily do without forks.

<<"I believe they primarily use chopsticks. Which are undoubtedly more similar to forks than spoons.">>

This is another reason why the fork is inferior. It is not as unique. It is unimportant, and can be easily substituted with hands, or chopsticks. Forks are a western thing, and aren't that special in the big sense.

Spoons however, are universal. In Asia where chopsticks are used to fill the "fork" niche, they still have Spoons, because for them there is NO substitute. They are THE utensil, which you can't ever do without. They are the god of all eating devices; they are the ultimate eating utensils. What is a measly fork but a vain and trivial thing compared to this mighty tool of eating that is the Spoon?

Spoons have been around for a long time. Forks and chopsticks are interesting inventions, but they are unimportant and unnecessary. Utensils of that kind are just vain things to keep your hands clean. Spoons however, are a fundamental part of eating. Whether scooping up water with a leaf, or using a stainless steel Spoon, it is essential to the concept of eating that you have something to pick up foods which are liquid. Solid pieces of food can be eaten with one's hands, but not having snouts we must have spoons.

All of yesterday and so far today (haven't had dinner yet) I have used a spoon 5 times, and not used a fork once (cereal, split pea soup, ice cream, coffee, cereal). I also yesterday found my self in a situation at lunch where I had brought yogurt, but had forgotten to bring a spoon, and so was unable to eat that. I give you my word that I did not modify my diet to use as evidence, nor make up what I have eaten. This just proves that spoons are more useful than forks.

-Harlan
cardboardstereo

Pro

Ahaha. :D You make me laugh. Not in a bad way, I'm not making fun of you. I just laughed at some of the things you stated.

I guess I'll address each of your points as well, but it isn't as fun. icouldalwaystypelikethisinabigjumbledmess.thatwouldamuseme.doyoufindthisentertaining?guesswhat.iusedaforktoeatriceandicecreamtoday.

~*~"Yes, but we could still say that spoons are "better" because they are more useful and serve more of a purpose."~*~

Spoons and forks serve one primary purpose only: they facilitate the act of eating.[I love that line. It's like the smartest and most refined thing I've said all day.] They serve the same purpose. It is an equal purpose, because it is the same purpose. One thing cannot be better than itself. I do believe.

~*~"Ah yes, but now we must compare eating with one's hands as I suggest or eating with one's face as my opponent suggests. Slurping implies bending over and slurping up your food, which can be difficult and messy if you are eating something like yogurt, off of a plate. If we were canines, I would agree that slurping is more convenient. However, we are primates, with opposable thumbs. We have our own eating utensils built into our body: hands. It is much more convenient for us primates to pick up our food and place it into our mouths then to hunch over and use our flat, snout-less faces to slurp up food."~*~

People have different techniques for slurping. Not everyone bends over or gets messy, In fact I've never witnessed such a repulsive act. =o Actually, you sit up straight, tuck a napkin into your collar, lift your bowl to your mouth, and godspeed! It works quite well. Perhaps I should write a set of instructions. I'll be sure to show you the design plans. ;) And excuse me, but I am not a primate. How dare you. ;sniffle.; Call me a monkey. Well, I was born in the year of the monkey, but that's beside the point. And canines do not slurp. They simply lap up water with their tongues, which is simulating the act of using a spoon! I believe you just insulted, or contradicted your own argument there. Why did I just help you? Oh, cause I'm nice. [x

~*~"Actually the cool thing to do is use a Spork, but that's outside the range of this debate."~*~

ACTUALLY. hehe. Sporks, okay. Yes, yes they are cool. But let's see here. Spork rhymes with Fork, and not with spoon. So the word 'spork' clearly favors the Fork.

~*~"Yes, but you CAN eat salad with your hands, or eat macaroni and cheese with a spoon."~*~

Yes, I can. I can do anything. The fact is that I don't...eat salad with my hands. Do you eat salad with your hands? No, I don't think so. That would just be odd beyond compare. And then when you take your wife/husband out to dinner someday, she may be quite offended if you begin to eat your salad with your hands, and she may be a tad bit worried if you eat a salad with a spoon. If you go to a restaurant, you use a fork for the majority of the foods. Spoon for a soup appetizer, maybe an ice cream desert. Same with at home. But. On the salad, and the steak, chicken, and the cake. It's fork food! AHA. You might be a vegetarian. Vegetarian lasagna you ask? Fork indeed, good sir.

~*~"More like dangerous, they are sharp and could hurt little kids."~*~

How many cases of assault and battery with a fork have you heard of? Maybe them there Texan chilluns are awful evil, which is why I've never been there. My parents fear for my life. Jesus, if I got attacked by a fork in Texas. We'd have some real issues. I'd challenge you in Rodeo, I'm the bull whisperer.

I don't feel like copying anymore quotes with my little cool design thing, so I'll just rant.

Distorting our reflections, well okay. That is fun. BUT. With a fork you can poke holes in things like paper, and the aluminum foil lids of your yogurt cup, and make little designs! Now that, my friend. Is entertainment.

Sharp and painful? Well some of us like that. Spoons feel lame. If you run the tip of a fork along your arm, then the tip of a spoon along your arm. The fork feels much better. It makes me excited.

Yes, the band Spoon. They are quite good. BUT. I shall form a band named Fork in the near future, and it will be the derned best moozik you've evuh' hurd.

What Wikipedia says really does not interest me, aha. I understand that humans write for Wikipedia. In fact, my history teacher writes for Wikipedia. And everyone knows that humans are sometimes wrong. And if the employees at the Pentagon don't know what they're eating, well then this country is in a bit of turmoil.

I have a friend, named Lily Tu. She grew up in China for the first 15 years of her life. Then she moved here, and she is now one of my best friends. I go over to her house, often. And her mom always cooks real, authentic Chinese food. In a wok and everything. And we use forks! For all of it. No spoons.

Well, if you're saying that a fork isn't unique because it's identifiable to chopsticks, then a spoon is less unique!! You're giving examples like the leaf, the dog's tongue, the ladel, and ice cream scooper. It is soooo not unique-er.

And Forks have been around for a long time too! As long or longer than spoons. And they are not unimportant, nor are they unnecessary.

OH. And I have one more thing to touch on. At restaurants, mainly middle-class to fancy restaurants. They always provide you with at least 2 forks! And only one spoon. Because forks are just..needed more. You eat more food in your daily life with a fork than with a spoon. On average. I don't know about you, but I could probably handle that pea soup with a Fork. Like Crocodile Dundee.

- Mel.
Harlan

Con

"Ahaha. :D You make me laugh. Not in a bad way, I'm not making fun of you. I just laughed at some of the things you stated"

HA-HA! You make me laugh in a bad way! I'm making fun of you!

"They serve the same purpose. It is an equal purpose, because it is the same purpose. One thing cannot be better than itself. I do believe."

Round 3 has barely started and you have already conceded. Listen, you have instigated the debate:

"Forks are better than spoons."

You have now stated that forks and spoons are the same, and therefore cannot be better than each other. This therefore destroys the claim that forks are better than spoons. Whether or not I can prove that spoons are better than forks is not the determining factor in this debate. If I can prove that forks AREN'T better than spoons, as you have conceded, than I will have won the debate.

You have destroyed your own argument. You have strictly contradicted the thing you are supposed to be arguing. It must be stressed to the voter at this point that no matter what has been previously said in this debate, my opponent has just conceded and has lost.

I could leave it at that, but that would not be very much fun.

"Actually, you sit up straight, tuck a napkin into your collar, lift your bowl to your mouth, and godspeed!"

This is all fine and dandy when you are eating a bowl of soup, but what about a bowl of thick, sludgy oatmeal. How do you plan to slurp that? You could either let it move slowly like a glacier into your mouth, which would take forever, or if you had lungs like superman, you MIGHT be able to slurp some into your mouth.

"Do you eat salad with your hands? No, I don't think so. That would just be odd beyond compare."

Well first of all, if it is not soaked in dressing, just munching on greens doesn't really require a fork. But anyways, at least it is practical to eat salad with your hands, unlike trying to slurp yogurt (which looks a lot worse than eating salad with your hands).

"How many cases of assault and battery with a fork have you heard of? Maybe them there Texan chilluns are awful evil, which is why I've never been there. My parents fear for my life. Jesus, if I got attacked by a fork in Texas. We'd have some real issues. I'd challenge you in Rodeo, I'm the bull whisperer."

I was not talking about assault, I was talking about kids accidentally hurting themselves. But that was half joking, so I am willing to completely drop that point, since it is not really helping me. Oh yeah, and Texas stereotypes don't apply to Austin

"Distorting our reflections, well okay. That is fun. BUT. With a fork you can poke holes in things like paper, and the aluminum foil lids of your yogurt cup, and make little designs! Now that, my friend. Is entertainment."

It's all right, I guess, but still nothing compared to using a plastic spoon as a catapult.

"I understand that humans write for Wikipedia. In fact, my history teacher writes for Wikipedia. And everyone knows that humans are sometimes wrong. And if the employees at the Pentagon don't know what they're eating, well then this country is in a bit of turmoil."

Is there a specific piece of information in the quote that you doubt? I didn't think so. Everything in that quote is correct. I wouldn't have even needed to have a quote since it is such common knowledge: Panda express is a restaurant in america. Do you deny this fact?

But you are completely missing the point, and this is drifting off topic. The point is that throughout history societies have easily done without forks, but all civilized societies have had spoons of some kind.

"And we use forks! For all of it. No spoons."

First of all that is not circumstantial evidence for anything, and also, you can't deny that at one time in history oriental cultures did not use forks. This is the point, and we are slowly drifting away from it.

"You're giving examples like the leaf, the dog's tongue, the ladel, and ice cream scooper."

1. The leaf was meant to make the point that even when people didn't use utensils really at all, they had to have something to pick up liquid, because it is fundamental to eating. I am not suggesting that nowadays people use leafs.

2. I didn't make the connection between a dog tongue and a spoon…YOU did. But thanks for the credit, I guess.

3. Ummm…I never mentioned an ice cream scooper either.

"And Forks have been around for a long time too! As long or longer than spoons. And they are not unimportant, nor are they unnecessary."

Well no, actually spoons have been used since prehistoric times. They used shells. In fact, I found that the Greek and the Latin words for spoon is derived from "cochlea" which is a sort of shell.

Also, while forks have been around for a while, up until relatively recent history, they have not been a globalized thing, or a common thing. For a long time they were only a thing for royalty in most places.

For instance, while spoons are speculated to have come to England 43-410 AD, forks did not reach England until around 1608.

http://research.calacademy.org...

http://research.calacademy.org...

"At restaurants, mainly middle-class to fancy restaurants. They always provide you with at least 2 forks! And only one spoon. Because forks are just..needed more."

No, it's actually because one fork is for salad, and one fork is used for the main meal. It really serves no practical purpose, and is just a vain luxury, like: "look at me im eating with multiple forks just for the hell of it, that's how fancy I am."

But also, the real reason there are more forks, is because forks are so pathetic that they need to work as a team to get a simple job done. Talk about inefficiency! What a hassle. You only need one spoon though. That's how powerful they are. They are sacred. It would be sacrilege to use multiple spoons…that would be like playing god.

Q: "How many forks did it take to screw in a light-bulb?"

A: "One fork for salad and one fork for the main meal."

"You eat more food in your daily life with a fork than with a spoon."

I have used a fork 8 more times since my last posting, while still not once using a fork.

To recap:

-Foods that can be eaten with a fork can be easily eaten with hands, which are utensils that are built into our body, and which are much handier.

-Spoons are absolutely necessary, since some foods cannot be eaten with a fork, with one's hands, nor slurped.

-My opponent has conceded by saying that neither forks nor spoons can be better than the either, therefore ruining her instigation, and making the contender of "Forks are better than spoons." The winner.

Thanks for the entertaining debate.

-Harlan
Posted by UndercoverCactus 12 months ago
UndercoverCactus
I'd just like to say that I have eaten every single food that Harlan mentioned as a spoon food I have eaten (successfully) with a fork, and, in many occasions, I actually prefer eating it with a fork.
Posted by vrinda 8 years ago
vrinda
well,one cannot debate over cutlery items because each of them are equally important
Posted by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
CORRECTION:

"I have used a fork 8 more times since my last posting, while still not once using a fork.", (R3)

Meant to say:

"I have used a *spoon* 8 more times since my last posting, while still not once using a fork."
Posted by pawletoe 8 years ago
pawletoe
i casted my vote... tie on everything lol... they are both needed to me...
Posted by cardboardstereo 8 years ago
cardboardstereo
What a good idea! Wish I would've thought of that. Hmph. -.-;
Posted by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
I know it's for fun, and I'll try not to lose my mind.
Posted by cardboardstereo 8 years ago
cardboardstereo
Dear Mr. Harlan,

It's just supposed to be for fun. Please don't lose your pretty little mind, I feel the world would go topsy-turvy without it. =[ And that's honest.
Posted by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
I started off this debate debating just because I was bored, not honestly caring whether the fork or the spoon is better. Iv forced myself to come up with arguments though, and I have honestly adopted the opinion that one utensil is better than the other, ridicilous, I must be losing my mind.
Posted by cardboardstereo 8 years ago
cardboardstereo
Okay. :D

Lettuce do eet. Ahahaha.
Posted by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
Oh I was addressing you Ms. Stereo.

I'm sure you'll do just fine in the debate.
Vote Placed by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
cardboardstereoHarlanTied
Vote Placed by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
cardboardstereoHarlanTied
Vote Placed by pawletoe 8 years ago
pawletoe
cardboardstereoHarlanTied