othercheek
JacobAnderson

Fornication should be illegal

JacobAnderson

othercheek

Pro

Fornication should be illegal for reasons on which I will elaborate in the next rounds.

RULES:
  • Use actual, logical, evidence-based arguments. (i.e. nothing emotion-based like, "But I have the rights to my own body!" or "But you'd be depriving people of happiness!")
  • You can't rely on the Quran or other myths.
  • Follow the "app" rule: always post promptly.
  • If I show evidence that contradicts yours, you have to accept that your argument is invalid.
I look forward to your response. God bless.
JacobAnderson

Con

To start this debate, I would also like to set a few "Rules."
- We will use this definition of fornication: sexual intercourse between people not married to each other.
- Because there is no concrete evidence that anything in the Bible has existed on this Earth, you are disallowed to use the Bible for any argument or reference. If you use any reference to the Bible, you have broken your own rules and have established that you cannot fairly win this debate.
- Obviously, if I show evidence that contradicts yours, you must accept your argument as faulty. If I contradict your evidence that is contradicting my former argument, you must accept that your argument is still faulty.

Now that we have both decided on our rules, I am pleased to begin this debate with you!
othercheek

Pro

othercheek forfeited this round.
JacobAnderson

Con

Five rounds and already forfeited. Withholding all arguments until my opponent comes back.
othercheek

Pro

Fornication should be illegal because:

-STDs

-Unplanned pregnancy

-Contraceptives are artificial and no good for oneself

-People who fornicate are more likely to get divorced

-Teens who have sex are more likely to be depressed

I look forward to your rebuttals.
JacobAnderson

Con

I hate to inform you that you have broken your own rule of "Use actual, logical, evidence-based arguments." I say this because you do not have any sources in your argument and the arguments you have used are not strictly for fornication. I do hope you realize that fornication is between unmarried individuals.

"STDs"
"More than 50 percent of sexually active people will get HPV at some point during their lives [1]." "STDs are really common -- every year there are more than 19 million new cases in the U.S [1]." In neither of these facts does it mention that unmarried peoples are the only victims of STDs. In fact, it mentioned that 50% of sexually active people will get HPV, not exclusive to any country. Not sure if this source ([2]) is exclusive to a certain country, but it states that 59% of the population is married, a number higher that 50%, meaning that at least, although I am positive that this number is higher, 9% of married peoples catch an STD.

"Unplanned pregnancy"
Once again, not exclusive to unmarried peoples. [3] shows that more than half of the pregnancies they have put into this study had been unplanned. "By age 45, more than half of all American women will have experienced an unintended pregnancy, and three in 10 will have had an abortion [3]."

"Contraceptives are artificial and no good for oneself."
I am assuming that you believe only unmarried peoples use contraceptives, much like you have stated in your other arguments so far. However, I do not need a source to prove this to be untrue. I would also like to question the negative effects on someone of a condom. Do you use "contraceptives" to mean only the drugs that the people take, such as birth control? Also, by this, would you also say that other medicines are not good for yourself, or would you not include contraceptives in the medicine category although you buy them in pharmacies? (Please do answer this, if anything)

"People who fornicate are more likely to get divorced."
Although I find it boring to refute all other arguments by using actual sources, [4] shows the divorce rates of countries worldwide and shows that 50% of American marriages end in divorce. I would need evidence to show that fornication leads to divorce, please.

"Teens who have sex are more likely to be depressed."
By this, do you mean before or after the intercourse? Please follow your own rules and use evidentiary support for your claims.

[1] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...;
othercheek

Pro

othercheek forfeited this round.
othercheek

Pro

othercheek forfeited this round.
JacobAnderson

Con

JacobAnderson forfeited this round.
Posted by Subutai 3 years ago
Subutai
Ah, the days when I used to believe in this absurd viewpoint.
Posted by Magic8000 3 years ago
Magic8000
"People who fornicate are more likely to get divorced"

wtf does this even mean? If you're fornicating, you're not married in the first place.
Posted by othercheek 4 years ago
othercheek
I am arguing from an American point of view (which I frankly should have specified), and adultery is not illegal in all states. But I am arguing that the only legal sex should be in a marriage.
Posted by PotBelliedGeek 4 years ago
PotBelliedGeek
Please note that in excluding arguments from "The Qur'an and other myths", you are excluding arguments from the Bible.
Posted by themohawkninja 4 years ago
themohawkninja
I'm able to debate, but before I accept, I want to ask a question.

Since fornication includes adultery, which IS illegal, are we restricting fornication to just pre-marital sex?
Posted by gt4o2007 4 years ago
gt4o2007
I can accept it what were you requirements?
Posted by othercheek 4 years ago
othercheek
Good. I have them for a reason.
Posted by Kumquatodor 4 years ago
Kumquatodor
I could prove you wrong, but I can't accept due to the requirements!
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
othercheekJacobAndersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeited almost every round and had stupid arguments when he didnt, clear victory for the con.