GDNE
Blade-of-Truth

Forrest Gump is a true story

Blade-of-Truth
Started: 11/11/2014 Category: Movies

GDNE

Pro

If you watch the movie, it clearly shows the tapes of famous historical events. Guess who is in all of those tapes?
That's right, Forrest Gump.
Case closed.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I want to thank Pro for instigating this debate.

Forrest Gump is arguably one of the most enjoyable movies made in the last few decades, but I do not believe it is a true story.

A movie which features several clips from various past events does not mean the movie itself is a true story. When discussing whether a movie is a true story or not we must consider the origin of the script, the movie plot in full, and the historical accuracy of the movie in relation to the "true story" the movie is attempting to capture.

With this short rebuttal in mind, I will now extend the opportunity for Pro to begin with his arguments before presenting my own.

GDNE

Pro

Well if you look in the movie, it shows the historical events happening. In every single black and white tape showed, Forrest Gump is there. That means that Forrest Gump was in all of those locations at the time that the events took place. I researched the things in the movie, and it turns out that all of these events and people are true! The movie was based off of fact, and had no fiction in it whatsoever. Also, did you ever notice the part of the movie when the APPLE logo shows up, and Forrest buys stocks? Apple is a real company! That literally PROVES that Forrest Gump is true.
Case closed. (Again)
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I want to thank Pro for his response.

I. In every single black and white tape showed, Forrest Gump is there.

My opponent poses this argument with the claim being that it means that Forrest Gump was in all those locations at the time that the events took place. My opponent further claims that he researched the movie and found that all these events and people are true.

The immediate problem with this is that my opponent is presenting this claim with absolutely no evidence whatsoever to validate or back-up the claim. I can say the same thing, but without evidence, it's nothing more than an opinion which holds no validity whatsoever.

I have done research of my own. What I found was the actor who voiced President Kennedy in the movie, his name is Jed Gillin. [1]

So how was this done? Since it really does look so... real.

I had the same question after seeing the movie for the first time. After a simple Google search, a website named askville.com, hosted by Amazon, provided the response that the producers searched for just the right piece of film, with John Lennon's part being his actual appearance on the Dick Cavet show. [2] The link further states that they then recreated that archival footage with an actor (which in the case of JFK is the actor shown in link 1). "They combined their new work with the actual clip via CGI and clever editing. Finally they replaced mouth movements of Kennedy and Lennon (so they appear to be "saying" the new dialogue) again via computer, and the work is done." [2]

The evidence for CGI usage and actors may also been seen in a third source which breaks down how the entire CGI process worked and was implemented throughout Forrest Gump, including the opening scene where a feather is floating around infront of Forrest Gump. [3] Basically, computer programs allow for graphics editors to influence the images on the screen in a life-like manner while, in reality, they are nothing more than animated processes. If anyone would like to understand more about CGI or Computer-Generated Images, please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org...

[1] http://home.earthlink.net...

[2] http://askville.amazon.com...

[3] https://storify.com...

II. The movie was based off of fact, and had no fiction in it whatsoever.

An immediate rebuttal to this claim by my opponent would be that there was indeed fiction in this movie.

One example of this can be seen when it was shown that Forrest Gump was the inspiration for John Lennon's song "Imagine". In reality, the inspiration for his song were several poems from Yoko Ono's 1964 book Grapefruit. [4]

Another example would be where it was shown that Forrest Gump was the inspiration for the dancing style of Elvis Presley. In reality, as a young man Elvis idolized a gospel group called The Statesmen. According to Elvis' backup singer and lifelong friend Joe Moscheo, Elvis' leg-twitching dance moves were inspired by The Statesmen's bass singer, "Big Chief" Wetherington, who was famous for his leg twitching. [5]

Furthermore, in the Watergate scandal scene it was shown that Forrest Gump was responsible for discovering the scandal by complaining that someone's lights were keeping him awake. In reality, it was Frank Willis, a security guard who discovered tape covering the latches on doors throughout the building. [6]

[4] http://en.wikipedia.org...(John_Lennon_song)

[5] http://www.imdb.com...

[6] http://en.wikipedia.org...

There are numerous examples of such fictions occurring throughout the movie Forrest Gump. These three examples are merely the tip of the iceberg.

III. Forrest Gump buys apple stocks.

Just because a company is real doesn't mean that the events portrayed in the movie are true. For instance, in the film '2012' featuring John Cusack, there is a scene where a McDonald's get annihilated by earthquakes in Los Angeles. Does that mean that McDonald's really fell through a hole in the earth during an apocalyptic scenario in real life? No.

My opponent is merely misunderstanding the separation between Hollywood films and events that occur in our everyday reality. Not everything you see in movies are true.

In closing,

My opponent has presented three arguments in an attempt to affirm the resolution. The key issue is the lack of evidence which would serve to validate his arguments. None of Pro's arguments have any form of evidence or validity to them. I have provided rebuttals to each of those arguments which are all backed by evidence.

Due to character limitation, I will hold off making my own arguments until the next round. As it stands though, the arguments presented by Pro are all defeated. So long as none of his arguments are left standing, he fails to maintain the BOP and fails to affirm the resolution. I will only present arguments negating the resolution if he should manage to somehow defeat the challenges I've just raised with my rebuttals.

I now return the floor to Pro.

GDNE

Pro

That's what the Illuminati wants you to think.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I'm an active Freemason, and can assure you that the Illuminati is not a part of this.

Since my opponent has yet to provide any real rebuttals against the challenges I've raised - I extend all arguments.

I now return the floor to Pro and await his rebuttals.
GDNE

Pro

In the movie, Forrest sits on a park bench. Park benches exist.
Cased closed.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

Park benches existing does nothing to affirm your case that Forrest Gump is based on a true story. If that was the case, then every movie that ever featured a character sitting on a bench would be considered a true story.

I've shown in previous rounds how this is not the case, and have provided three different counter-arguments showing that Forrest Gump is not based on a true story.

My opponent continues to fail at providing actual rebuttals to the three challenges I've raised, all of which remain standing unchallenged by Pro.

I, therefore, extend all arguments once more.

GDNE

Pro

GDNE forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

My opponent has forfeited the final round.

I extend all arguments which currently remain standing unchallenged.

Pro has failed to provide any rebuttals against my 3 arguments.

For both the forfeit and dropped arguments, I urge a vote for Con.
Posted by GDNE 2 years ago
GDNE
@wheatises2153 And who is to say The Avengers didn't happen?
Posted by GDNE 2 years ago
GDNE
@wheatises2153
retardation*
Posted by wheatises2153 2 years ago
wheatises2153
if you think forrest gump is real you need to get tested for mental retardedness. yes there are actual events in the story that actually happened. but that's like saying because aven=gers fought in new York that actually happened. new York is a real place. so there for you all who think forrest gump is real need to go get help
Posted by GDNE 2 years ago
GDNE
You know I was kidding, right?
Posted by GDNE 2 years ago
GDNE
You know I was kidding, right?
Posted by sceder 2 years ago
sceder
To the whole argument saying: "Hey look, it's Bubba Gump Shrimp in real life or hey, it's something from the movie in real life" The video of him in real footage was edited in. Also, if this is real, why did they follow him around all this time? The real examples of history that are still relevant today are just made to be a part of this story; especially to make it seem like Forrest Gump was involved in it's creation. Also, Bubba Gump Shrimp was just a made up name. The name was sold to a new business that was in the same industry as Bubba Gump Shrimp in the movie.
Posted by TK57 2 years ago
TK57
I think Pro might be mentally challenged
Posted by The_Epic_Cat 2 years ago
The_Epic_Cat
I'm an idiot.*
Posted by The_Epic_Cat 2 years ago
The_Epic_Cat
I'm an idiot.*
Posted by The_Epic_Cat 2 years ago
The_Epic_Cat
My bad. He was a soldier during the Vietnam war. I'm such a dumpk"f.
Vote Placed by z1 2 years ago
z1
GDNEBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con, you seem to have been trolled lol. Anyways voting con because ff. I do believe that some of the scenes in the movie were real, but not that "forest gump" was there lol.
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
GDNEBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: BoT has provided arguments and they are not refuted.
Vote Placed by TK57 2 years ago
TK57
GDNEBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not trying to be mean but I think Pro might be mentally challenged
Vote Placed by Gabe1e 2 years ago
Gabe1e
GDNEBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con dominated. And to be honest, Forrest Gump is fictional, they just added that in with good acting and CGI. When the President speaks to him, his lips aren't even saying the right thing... and also in the clip with the black girl going to a white school, it's easy to just put him in the background of it and in black and white.