Secryte
Controverter

Foster Care Reform

Secryte

Pro

The fact that foster care has crumbled should not come as much a surprise to anyone that has done their homework, rather the question now is should the foster care be reformed? There are many ways that foster care can be reformed, from all aspects of the social workers to the foster parents, and it is my belief that amid everything going on today that foster care should be a top priority for the national government and our local state governments. Who would like to oppose this?
Controverter

Con

Why bother with foster care when incentives to adopt and efficiency of adoption schemes are far more important a matter?
Secryte

Pro

Why, I am glad you asked. Within the past 10 years, the total prison makeup of the united states included a grand total of 75-80% of the prison population being originally from the foster care system. In interviews with other foster parents and a case worker within the system, the average percentage of foster parents that they believe abuse their foster kids (including physical, emotional, sexual, etc.) is 41%, which makes for almost half of foster parents in the country. Foster care reform in today's age would weed out the abusive parents, and help raise a new generation of foster children to become contributing members of society rather than spend their lives behind bars.
Controverter

Con

But why not solve the problem by enhancing adoption schemes?

Burden of proof is on pro.
Secryte

Pro

Very well. According to the Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System report posted by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, there are currently 104,236 children waiting to be adopted within the foster care system. Of those waiting to be adopted, those waiting to be adopted by their biological parents due to losing their parental rights number at 61,361. The actual number of adopted children number at 50,516, far below the 104,236 waiting to be adopted.

These statistics show that while adoption may be better, there simply is not enough people wanting to adopt to make this plausible. The most recent statistics of the number of children in foster care number at 400,540, with 252,320 children that entered the system in the most recent fiscal year. Sure, there are 245,260 kids that left the system as well, but the fact is that most of those kids aged out of the system altogether. I would like to correct a statistic I have made in round one by saying that the percentage of past foster care children in jail is not in the 75-80% range, but rather in the 25% range in accordance to ABC news, which has been holding steady since the report came out. In that same report, it is estimated that 30% of today's homeless Americans also came from the foster system. This has happened because in more cases than not they aged out of the system, and once they age out they get little to no government support and minimal family base. In the cases where these percentages did not age out of the system, but rather found a family, past experiences in the system will push them to do things that most people would not. As is the case, a reformed system would introduce better quality parents into the system and give social workers more specialized training for the types of kids with Autism, ADD, and OCD. This would in turn keep a good number of future foster children out of prison and have better family bases in which to start a life instead of becoming homeless.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov...

http://abcnews.go.com...
Controverter

Con

Copy
Paste
Edit
>llReport this Argument
Posted by Secryte 4 years ago
Secryte
Yet I saw no legitimate counterargument. Hmm...
Posted by Controverter 4 years ago
Controverter
My brain is bigger than yours.
Posted by Secryte 4 years ago
Secryte
You wanted proof, so I gave it to you. That happens to be copy and pasted from my Semester Final from last semester at Indiana State. I gave the proof, then I gave the sources. What did you expect, a 9 year old making up stuff as he/she goes? Thanks for the one sided argument though.
Posted by Secryte 4 years ago
Secryte
What, you think I copied and pasted that?