kenicks
Pluto2493

Four Square is the best playground pastime

Started: 1/21/2008 Category: Sports

kenicks

Pro

Ah, yes, the school playground. An ongoing display of asphalt and gravel that seems to stretch for miles and miles. Blissful schoolchildren running every which way, making the best of their break from the torture chamber that is the classroom. The pucker-faced recess monitors in orange vests that blow whistles and chastise troublemakers. These are just a few of the sights one can see when at the school playground. Let's take a look at some of the activities one can participate in at the playground:

There's jump rope. Mainly dominated by girls in pigtails, rhyming childish rhymes as they skip over the rope, this playground pastime doesn't offer a pleasure for the male companions.

What do boys play then? An extreme playground pastime dominated by males is King of the hill, in which boys gather at the top of a hill, and attempt to brutally push each other off in order to achieve superiority. However, while this may cater to males, it doesnt strike interest in many girls.

Unisex playground pastimes? Try the swings. An indvidual or two person activity, they are somewhat dull. Try the jungle gym. After a few flips and pullups on the twisted, mangled bars, one loses interest in this mainly individual activity. The slides? Once you've gone down one slide, you've gone down them all.

So just what is that magical, unisex, group playground game that everyone can love and enjoy?

Four square.

Four square is a game that keeps you on your toes, your head in the game, and in a great mood. The game requires hand to eye coordination, agility, and strategy, raising the intellectual bar above many other playground pastimes. Even if you're not in one of the squares, standing in line, you're still in the game; whether it be cheering on your friends, helping debate a call to determine if someone is out or not, or even unexpectedly getting hit by the inflated, rubber ball. Played in rain or shine, on hard asphalt or on slick ice, in slush or in dry heat, four square is the ultimate playground pastime.
Pluto2493

Con

Hello. I will be somewhat abstract in my opening argument and get in deeper later.

I would like to disagree with you statment that four square is the best past time. Four square keeps you in a seemingly endless line waiting for your turn. I have just got back from a church retreat where we play four square A LOT. The line takes forever, and I find myself waiting more than playing.

For this reason I believe nine square to be a better option. There is more playing time, it allows more kids to vote on who they think is right, and it allows for more special moves. It also captures all of the advantages you claim, but is better because it has my advantages.

Also, four square encourages arguing. From my personal experiences, there is more arguing than any other playground game or sport, for that matter. This is a result of letting the kids decide and not having a referee. It is very difficult to judge whether something is in or out, or if it touched a line or not. Of course, the person that got out is almost always going to say they are not out, even when they know they are. Eventually, kids are feeling more and more tense as the game goes on.

And you suggest that "even unexpectedly getting hit by the inflated, rubber ball." is good. Why would that be good? A kid could very well get hit and get a bloody nose. Many kids could also fall and scrap their hands and knees when going after the ball. I don't see many nosebleeds or broken bones in going down a slide!
kenicks

Pro

First, I'd like to go deeper into your alternate game; just what is nine-square? I have never heard of it and would love if you could elaborate.

Back to Four Square. I've been playing the game since I was a young, 4th grade sapling, and have been addicted it to since. I go to a relatively small school, with each grade being one conjoined class and have ever had no more than 21 people in the class. Most of us have been together since the elementary school, and are very close, almost family; I guess classmate blood is thicker than water. Every recess, no matter what the weather conditions, about half of us play a rousing game of four square. Appealing to both genders, our games typically consisted of six boys and three girls. We use plenty of special moves each game and play with exuberance, intensity, and passion, but kept the lightheartedness that has bonded us together.

We hardly ever aruge, and when we come across a controversial call, we either simply redo the play, or take a vote, known to us as "Majority Rules". Our games are fast-paced, and we were oblivious to everything outside of those four squares during our games. Classmates waiting in line cheered us on, showing their support for our beloved friends.

Going back to your claims of possible injury during four square games, I'd like to assure you I have never seen a serious injury in my days. Yes, I've witness three or four knee scrapes and jammed fingers, but these are typical playground injuries that I'm sure we've all experienced no matter what pastime we've participated in. Also, going back to reference with being hit by the ball; we use a rubber, inflatable ball, with a soft exterior. Members of the line get hit with this ball about once a game, and it comes up on a bounce, so the line members usually catch it or harmlessly bounces off their leg. The concept of a ball coming full force and speed at a person's face is highly unlikey in our games.

Through the fire and the flames (hyperbole...I've never came close to suffering a burn at recess), four square has bonded my friends and I together, and has become not only a playground game, but close to a lifestyle.
Pluto2493

Con

Nine square is a game with a rubber inflatable ball. You start in 9th square and work your way around the square to be king. To start the game, the king bounces the ball and hits it again to another square where that person has the choice of bus stopping it in air or simply hitting it again into another square. If the ball bounces in ones square twice or zero times, that player is out and goes back to 9th square. If a player hits an inside line, he/she is out, but if one were to hit an outside line, he/she would not be out, but in fact in and able to play.

Just an observation- this debate is about a 'past time', so pro must prove it has been a 'Past time' for a number of people.

1. <>

Just because it may be a good game for you, does not make it everyones. You yourself hadn't heard of nine square, so someone else is very well likely to not have heard of four square. Also you think everyone plays this? So people in North Korea think of four square as a great pasttime? What about Bolivia? Seychelles? Does everyone in the USA know about four square?

2. <>

I find it hard to believe you never argue. I know a lot of people that are so convinced they are right that they do not leave. And even if 'majority rules', the person will still feel angered that they got out when they actually didn't.

3. "I'd like to assure you I have never seen a serious injury in my days. Yes, I've witness three or four knee scrapes and jammed fingers, but these are typical playground injuries that I'm sure we've all experienced no matter what pastime we've participated in"

Even if it is not a 'serious injury', why take the risk? I can assure you that more people get hurt playing four square than they do on the slide. How many knee scraps or jammed fingers are there on the slide? I can't even think of a scenario where that would be the case. The fact is, a person could, as we call it, powershot it at a persons face, which I have seen 2 times in the two days I was at church. You could very well get a bloody nose with a powershot.

4. <>

THOSE THINGS HURT! I don't know if someone has ever chucked one of those balls at your face, but they kill. They were actually outlawed at my school because of injury possiblity, along with dodgeball.

My offense-
1. my opponent did not respond to my long line argument. I challenge him to answer this, and how having a longer line would be better.
2. Nine square is much better because of the line. You don't have to spend all day waiting in that line when you have something better to do. It also allows for more awsome moves.
3. There is soooo much arguing in two square, its not even funny. The person that gets out is so convinced he is safe that he will not leave. Even if he does leave, it could lead to resentment among the other players.
4. It hurts when you get a bloody nose. I don't know if pro recognizes this, but I know it hurts. I'm sure people watching this debate would rather not get hit with a rubber ball. You could also get hand and knee scrapes when playing, as well as the occasional finger jam.
kenicks

Pro

"There is soooo much arguing in two square, its not even funny. The person that gets out is so convinced he is safe that he will not leave. Even if he does leave, it could lead to resentment among the other players."

Did you mean, the person who was currently in square #2, or the game "Two Square" itself? I never brought up the concept of this separate game in our argument, and personally believe it to be boring. Even so, if you were talking about square #2, I have found it no different than getting out in squares 1, 3, or 4 and facing a controversial call.

Back to nine square. You argue that this has less of a line, giving you more playing time, and is therefore better. I disagree on a few reasons; one is that more participation in the game is not necessarily better if it is hard to be involved on most plays, for I find it extremely hard to believe that the ball comes to you as often as it does in four square due to the five extra number of squares. Pros of the line are that it not only gives you a chance to regroup from your out, but to plan and strategize your next round in. It also lets the game become a spectator sport, as one can truly appreciate special moves from afar than while in the middle of playing, with your head in the game. Just like in pro sports; it always looks better on the instant replay. A line also gives you the simple luxuries of chatting with fellow players, and merely taking a rest from the intesity of the game. Four square also would appear to move faster than nine square, with more players rotating in at a time, giving everyone a taste of everyone's talents.

I have, indeed gotten a bloody nose. And yes, it has hurt. And yes, it is an utmost pain in the neck to have to hold your head back with your nostrils shut until the blood stops gushing. But no, I have never witnenssed anyone come close to the injuries of a bloody nose in the game of four square. I'll say it before and I'll say it again, a few minor knee scrapes and one or two jammed fingers from hitting the ball is the worst, the very worst, I have ever seen. I believe that you perseverate too much on the supposed dangers of four square to truly appreciate it.

Your argument of how internationally-known four square is is a worthy one. I can honestly say I do not know how involved every child in the USA is in four square, but I can assure you that many, roughly 80%, have knowledge of the game itself. I doubt that children in North Korea, Bolivia, and Seychelles consider four square a great pastime not because of its lack of popularity, but because each county has its own pastimes and childhood games it plays. Here is an excerpt from an site regarding Traditional Children's Games:

Vivien Yoshikawa from Brazil

During my childhood, I liked to play a games called Quemada because in this game you are always moving. This game is famous in my country. You can play it from your childhood until your adult life, and it doesn't have an age limit or a limit of players.

How to play Queimada

To play this game, you form two teams. Each team has a field and there is a place called the cemetery. One person from each team starts in the cemetery, so he's dead. The rest of the team starts in the field.

The person who is at the cemetery always starts the game by throwing a ball to the opposite side where his partners are. The "living people" from this team have to catch the ball and throw it against the other team. If someone from the opposite team touches the ball, he is burnt, so he is dead. The "dead ones" go to the cemetery, and the game finishes when every "living person" from one team dies.

I played this game a lot when I was around eight years old. I would call all my friends, and we would spend all afternoon long playing!

Don't deny it, we both know we have never heard of the game Queimada. However, based on our lack of knowledge, it is considered to be a beloved and treasured game in Brazil. This proves that each country has its own childhood pastimes, whether they be on the playground or off.

Back to your argument. You say that other countries would have no knowledge of four square or consider it a childhood pastime. This is true, to my knowledge. However, most of the children in the USA know it, and is considered one of the most beloved pastimes here. Until you notified me of it, however, I had no knowledge whatsoever of the game "Nine square". Okay, I cannot always go off of what I know, and proceeded to look it up on www.wikipedia.org. I neglected to find an article on it there, the next most revelant topic being, in all seriousness, "List of Australian television series". As we all know, wikipedia is a publicly edited website, and not every single fact, much less every single game, is noted in there. I proceeded to look it up on multiple search engines, such as www.google.com, www.ask.com, www.yahoo.com, and www.altavista.com. Nothing at all concerning your pastime came up as a result. If I have never heard of it, and the internet has never heard of it, then most of American children have never heard of it, much less foreign countries around the world. My point? Four square is no less known than nine square, and based on its popularity is enjoyed and known of by more, therefore making it more of a pastime.

Now that I am done discussing nine square, I'd like to move solely back onto the topic of this debate: four square. I have said earlier that four square has bonded my classmates and I together, that we play with intensity, our lines are short, it is game to be enjoyed by both genders, and overall has been a vital part of my childhood. I came to the thought that you might believe I am making this up to prove my point. However, I have legitimate proof of how important four square is to me, and I would like to share it with you personally:

http://vids.myspace.com...

http://vids.myspace.com...

http://vids.myspace.com...

These three videos are my classmates and I playing four square as we do every recess. I implore you to watch them would greatly enjoy your feedback.

Note: The second video is titled "Attack of the Femmes", referring to the playing of the girls in our four square game that day. We do not discriminate against them and thoroughly enjoy them in our games, we were merely teasing them. Our games are unisex, have always been, and always will be.

I await your rebuttal.
Pluto2493

Con

Pluto2493 forfeited this round.
Posted by Pluto2493 9 years ago
Pluto2493
voters please look at my previous arguments and not the last one- it somehow was deleted when I turned it in. Dang, it was so good.
Posted by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
Close...very close...but no cigar.
Posted by Pluto2493 9 years ago
Pluto2493
yeah I'll respect that. Maybe like somewhere from around 11 to umm... 87? Somewhere in that range?
Posted by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
I find it innapropriate for one to reveal their true age on the internet, with all the hackers, perverts and spyware looming around. Take an educated guess. You'll come close.
Posted by Pluto2493 9 years ago
Pluto2493
As in MY ARGUMENT, I said that you guys play some weiiiirrrd four square. We play it a lot different. Yours was filled with lines, overhands, and carries, which is not allowed it our type. The server also has to bounce the ball and then hit it to hit it in.

And may I ask how old are you? I got the impression that you were older, since you said you were 'friends since grade school'. Don't try to say that's an old camera, its obviously new age.
Posted by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
what did you think of the videos?
Posted by Pluto2493 9 years ago
Pluto2493
theres no way that just happened.
Posted by Pluto2493 9 years ago
Pluto2493
wtf?! What happened to my arguement? It got deleted?! I wrote out a whole argument, submitted it, and it errored. Then I looked at this debate and it said I forfieted. Debate.org moderators, please adjust this debate.
Posted by StealthNinja 9 years ago
StealthNinja
I agree weth Kinicks because I too play foursquare, and it rocks!
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
kenicksPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
kenicksPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by Issa 9 years ago
Issa
kenicksPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by philadam 9 years ago
philadam
kenicksPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by mynameisjonas 9 years ago
mynameisjonas
kenicksPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by cliffsofdover 9 years ago
cliffsofdover
kenicksPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by towinistosucced 9 years ago
towinistosucced
kenicksPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by bonnie_boy_returns 9 years ago
bonnie_boy_returns
kenicksPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by workersaregoinghome 9 years ago
workersaregoinghome
kenicksPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by moonclip 9 years ago
moonclip
kenicksPluto2493Tied