KCrump
SolaGratia

Fox News is a branch of the Republican Party

KCrump

Pro

Fox News is indeed a branch of the Republican Party. All of their talent have blatantly obvious conservative viewpoints. For example, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Chris Wallace, the list goes on. Even when they bring on guests, they resort to an embittered ex-Clinton employee such as Dick Morris to analyze the Presidential election or people who are just out of touch with the issues like William Kristol. Furthermore, the "liberals" they do employ are of the worst quality. For example, Allen Colmes is a wimpering step-child for Sean Hannity to walk over during their telecasts each night. They tend to bring on, for the lack of a better word, the weakest of opponents for their conservative powerhouses to go up against. And when Fox actually decides to bring on someone who won't lie down for them during a discussion, they cut off their microphone, claim they cannot hear them, cut to a commercial, or just plain ignore them. It has gotten to the point where Fox News or "Noise" as my friend Keith Olbermanns says, is laughable. Sometimes I only tune in for a good laugh because Fox does not report the news. Most of their broadcasts are opinion based shows with plainly conservative slants. I am not even sure if Fox employs any journalists at all to be honest. They claim to be fair and balanced, but it is obvious that Fox News is a fraternity for washed up, bitter Republicans who can't get elected.
SolaGratia

Con

"It is obvious that Fox News is a fraternity for washed up, bitter Republicans who can't get elected." A strong statement, KCrump, which you fail to back up with proof. In fact, proof is conspicuously absent from your argument. Evidence, too, it lacking.

Everyone knows that Bill Kristol, O'Reilly, and Hannity are Conservative, but Chris Wallace, who has more of a "news" show, is not. According to his FoxNews.com bio, more than half of the people he interviewed were Democrats. Now, unless it's just an attack show, that doesn't make sense if the whole network has such a "Right-wing" bias. And if it was an attack show, would these people consent to be on there? I think not.

After Ann Coulter called John Edwards a "faggot," she appeared on Hardball with Chris Matthews. Matthews let John Edward's wife (he can't stand up for himself) call in and tell Ann Coulter what she thought of her. That, my friend, is biased. Of course, being the partisan you obviously are, you'll probably say something like "Ann Coulter deserved it. Haw, haw." But if it was your precious Bill Clinton, or Ariana Huffington, would you be so equitable?

You have provided no evidence, much less proof, and so I feel this is the best I can do for now.
KCrump

Pro

KCrump forfeited this round.
SolaGratia

Con

Well, since my opponent failed to respond, I find I don't have much to say. I did look around on the web, though, and found something interesting. According to a study conducted by Sacred Heart University (http://www.newsmax.com...)
Fox News is the "most trusted for accurate reporting" news source for Americans.

Here are the results, as published in Newsmax. "Fox News (27.0%), CNN (14.6%), and NBC News (10.90%). These were followed by ABC News (7.0%), local news (6.9%), CBS News (6.8%) MSNBC (4.0%), PBS News (3.0%), CNBC (0.6%) and CBN (0.5%)."

This is a large jump since 2003 when, in a similar study, CNN topped Fox. This suggests to me that Fox has made more of an effort to BE "fair and balanced," obviously contrary to what you've said.

By the way, your original topic was "Fox News is a branch of the Republican Party." This is obviously and demonstrably false, and therefore I've won the debate, literally. I understand what you meant, but perhaps a little less absurd levity would be appropriate.

I'm not bitter at you for missing the debate deadline. I know how things get. Thanks.

Sola Gratia.
KCrump

Pro

KCrump forfeited this round.
SolaGratia

Con

Well, what more can I say? It's obvious that my opponent just doesn't care. Well, here we go.

1. Your original topic stated that Fox News was a branch of the GOP. This is so false that I trust I don't need to prove it.

2. You have provided no evidence.

3. Your whole argument was based on personal bias, which has no bearing on truth.

Therefore, Fox News is NOT a branch of the Republican party, and your conceived "bias" is a figment of your imagination and prejudices. Thanks for nothing. What a ripoff.
Posted by Mikegj1077 9 years ago
Mikegj1077
Let's say that the complaint that Fox News is an extension of the republican party. So? All the other networks are extensions of the democrat party. At least it's a start.
Posted by ReaganConservative 9 years ago
ReaganConservative
The person who started this debate, KCrump, is upset because Fox News provides a chance for the voices of conservatives to be heard. The liberal ideal is for conservatives to be non-existant so only liberal opinions can be heard. Without Fox News and the few radio shows, that might very well be accomplished. This is just another leftist ploy to silence conservatives. I can assure you, that will NEVER happen as long as I'm around. I make sure leftists know what I think.
ReaganConservative
This nonsense about Fox News needs to stop. If you think Fox News is biased, then what do you say to CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times, the Washington Post, ABC, NBC, CBS, and CNBC, Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings, Dan Rather, Katie Couric, Matt Lauer, Bryant Gumbel, Time, Newsweek, and so on.

Just a few examples:
Katie Couric has blamed conservative speech for the vicious murders of James Byrd Jr. in Texas and Matthew Shepard in Wyoming. Painting conservative speech as a source of imminent danger helps lay the groundwork for the left's larger point that conservative speech is not "speech." But despite the fact that liberals strongly disapprove of conservative speech, whereever there is consumer choice, the public keeps choosing conservatives. That's why Fox News ratings are much higher than its opponents.

Liberals try to extend their monopoly over the elite media to the competitive media with nauseating cross-promotion of any and all liberals. There is absolutely no dreary leftist to come down the pike who will not instantly be acclaimed as a poet. Even the vicious smearing of conservatives is not as insufferable as the suck-up profiles and interviews of liberals. There are fabulous sycophantic write-ups in the New York Times, gushing interviews on the Today show, celebrity-status profiles in Time, Newsweek, and Vanity Fair. If the antitrust laws were applied to the endless cross-promotions of leftists in the media, Vanity Fair would be shut down.

By the way, Bill O'Reilly is NOT a conservative. He is anti-death penalty, pro gun control, he believes in "global warming", and he thought Elian Gonzalez should go back to Cuba. He's a moderate. Just because he speaks the truth without twisting the information, hence the "No Spin Zone", doesn't just mean he's a conservative bashing liberals...or maybe speaking the truth DOES make you a conservative.
Posted by wingnut2280 9 years ago
wingnut2280
I am soooo tired of the crap Foxnews gets for being conservative. If we want to bring up the topic of biased media, lets look at how liberal EVERY other outlet is. CNN, MSNBC, all of the basic cable news shows, the New York Times, the Washington Post...I could go on and on.

Conservatives have one TV network and talk radio. Lets look at the score before we complain about one play.
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Wow, I wish I had accepted the challenge. This argument is so weak it is laughable. Getting his talking points from Keith Olberman. Don't you know that Bill and Sean's show are not even considered news on Fox? They are opinion shows JUST like your "friend" Keith. All studies have shown that most of the media leans left. Wh should conservatives have an outlet for them?

When have they cut off the microphone or claim they can't hear them? This sounds like propaganda you picked up from the Daily Kos.
Posted by KCrump 9 years ago
KCrump
My comment about Fox being a branch of the Republican party was more of a shot at the network as opposed to it being an actual branch of the Republican party. Fox consistently calls its broadcasts fair and balanced when it is blatantly untrue. I just want to point out the hypocrisy of Fox News.
Posted by impactyourworld89 9 years ago
impactyourworld89
I definitely think that Fox News is more centered around the Republican party and it definitely helps them, but I don't think they are a branch of the Repub party
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
KCrumpSolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
KCrumpSolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by PeaceFinger 9 years ago
PeaceFinger
KCrumpSolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by Idontcare 9 years ago
Idontcare
KCrumpSolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by sccrplyr40 9 years ago
sccrplyr40
KCrumpSolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by jwebb893 9 years ago
jwebb893
KCrumpSolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
KCrumpSolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by govchapman 9 years ago
govchapman
KCrumpSolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by gabriel04 9 years ago
gabriel04
KCrumpSolaGratiaTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
KCrumpSolaGratiaTied