IlaRN
Some_Confused_Kid

Fracking

IlaRN has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

IlaRN

Pro

For this debate, I will be addressing the environmental impact of hydraulic fracturing (fracking), as our best method of obtaining energy. In an effort to find alternative sources for energy a new drilling technology, hydraulic fracturing (fracking), has become popular in many states. Fracking is a technique in which water, chemicals and sand are shot laterally to free oil or gas from rock. In the U. S. hydraulic fracturing for natural gas has not caused widespread harm to the public"s health or drinking water. I agree with the studies conducted by the EPA have determined that fracking is safe as long as strong controls are in place and industry best practices are followed and accept the debate.
Some_Confused_Kid

Con

I will tell you reasons on why Fracking is bad for the environment. Please Note this is my first debate and I am thankful for this opportunity. The one thing you failed to say is how much gallons of water your using to get the energy you need. You are using a estimate of 8000 gallons of water to perform a fracking,and also more then 90% of water used in fracking never returns. Jason Banes of the Boulder,Colorado based western resource advocate "We don't want to look up 20 years from now and say, Oops, we used up all our water". In the fracking process they use dangerous chemicals such as methane gas and toxic chemicals that can contaminate groundwater. There are even 1000 documented cases where local communities have contaminated water due to fracking near areas.

Sources and cites :http://www.alternet.org...
Posted by Some_Confused_Kid 1 month ago
Some_Confused_Kid
Thank you for giving me this opportunity to debate you against this issue.