TheCommonMan
BobTurner

Franklin Roosevelt Had a Better Overall Presidency than George Bush Jr.

TheCommonMan

TheCommonMan

Pro

I am arguing that Franklin Delano Roosevelt (32nd president of the United States, 1933 - 1945) had an overall better presidency than George Bush Jr. (43rd president of the United States, 2001-2009). My opponent, who will be con, must argue that Bush had a better overall presidency then Roosevelt.

Rules:

1. First round is acceptance.

2. Second round is arguments only.

3. Last 3 rounds are freestyle.

4. There is no burden of proof, considering this is opinion based only. However, coherent arguments must be presented.
BobTurner

Con

No FDR was a pink commie. George W. Bush was a real American. Merica'!
TheCommonMan

Pro

For my opening argument, I will list the pros and cons of both FDR’s and Bush’s presidencies. Then, I will show that FDR’S pros outweigh those of Bush and Bush’s cons outweigh those of FDR.

Argument #1: Pros and Cons of Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s Presidency
Pros:
He helped the American people regain faith in themselves.
He created the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), which brought recovery to business and agriculture, brought relief to the unemployed, and brought relief to those in danger of losing farms and houses.
He introduced social security to the US.
He created an enormous relief program for the unemployed.
He helped the US stay out of the war as possible, while still aiding other countries (Ex. Great Britain).
He planned the United Nations, which still helps the world be united to this day.

Cons:
He limited all future presidents to two terms only.
He did nothing to overtake Hitler or prevent Jews from dying.

Argument #2: Pros and Cons of George W. Bush Jr’s Presidency

Pros:
He prevented terrorist attacks after 9/11.
He created the biggest tax cut in American history.

Cons:
He led the nation into war with Iraq on incorrect intelligence reports.
Anti-terrorism tactics employed by the Bush administration damaged U.S. standing in the world.
He failed to capture bin Laden or secure Afghanistan.

Argument #3: Comparison of FDR and Bush

Now that we have a list of pros and cons for each president, I will establish the fact that FDR’s presidency was better than Bush’s presidency.

First off, Roosevelt has more pros than Bush and Bush has more cons than Roosevelt. This automatically shows that Roosevelt did more good things for the country than Bush did and that Bush did more bad things for the country than Roosevelt did.

Secondly, it’s obvious that FDR’s pros are more important than those of Bush. Roosevelt brought an end to the Great Depression and introduced some things that still positively benefit our country today (Ex. Social Security, the United Nations). The only pertinent thing that Bush did was prevent more terrorist attacks after 9/11 (Tax cuts would actually be considered a con my some). Roosevelt’s main contributions to the country as President were more impactful than those of Bush, considering his decisions still positively impact the US today.

Lastly, the cons of Bush’s presidency are worse than those of Roosevelt. Bush escalated a war in Iraq that didn’t need to be escalated. In addition, we didn’t meet our objective of capturing Bin Laden during Bush’s presidency. That gave the US a black eye. Roosevelt’s only pertinent con is not intervening in the war and taking down Hitler (the two term limit may be considered a pro by some). While this decision may be considered immoral by some, this decision can be justified. Entering the war against Hitler would’ve caused the US to go into more debt, which could’ve provoked the Depression that Roosevelt was striving to get the US out of. Therefore, Roosevelt’s cons are more justifiable than those of Bush.

Conclusion:

I have shown the pros and cons of the presidencies of both FDR and Bush. I have also shown that when comparing the pros and cons of both presidencies, FDR’s presidency is better. My opponent must show that Bush had a better presidency than FDR in order to make his argument strong.

Resources:
BobTurner

Con

I still believe that FDR was a socialist and Bush was a real American. That is all.
TheCommonMan

Pro

Extend all previous arguments.

Here are some of my opponent's claims.

"No FDR was a pink commie. George W. Bush was a real American. Merica'!"
"I still believe that FDR was a socialist and Bush was a real American. That is all."

There's no proof that FDR was a communist or a socialist. Even if he was, that doesn't negate the fact that he was a great president. Just because my opponent has a bias against socialism and communism, that doesn't mean that FDR was a bad president. Along the same lines, just because my opponent thinks that Bush is a real American, that doesn't mean that Bush was a good president. In fact, I have shown how FDR was a better president than Bush.

I have upheld my side of the argument and my opponent hasn't. That is all that needs to be said.
BobTurner

Con

Ok you win. Who can defend Dubaya?!?! I'm a Republican and even I cant.

I stand by my assertion that FDR was a socialist. Not a commie, but a socialist.
TheCommonMan

Pro

Very well. I thank you for conceding and for this debate!
BobTurner

Con

I like cats.
TheCommonMan

Pro

That's good to know!
BobTurner

Con

Indeed it is!
Posted by WilliamsP 2 years ago
WilliamsP
This isn't debatable. George W. Bush was horrible and Franklin Roosevelt was miraculous.
Posted by Hematite12 2 years ago
Hematite12
There are some die-hard Bushites who would take this up, I'm sure.
Posted by TheCommonMan 2 years ago
TheCommonMan
@AkashOne Not really, I did this more as a joke, just to see if someone would accept it. Who knows, someone might do it, lol.
Posted by TheCommonMan 2 years ago
TheCommonMan
@JonathanDJ Yes, George Bush Jr. exists. Look it up, brother.
Posted by AkashOne 2 years ago
AkashOne
It seems you REALLY expect someone to join this argument. I for one could contend for Bush, but I would be digging my own grave on that subject.
Posted by JonathanDJ 2 years ago
JonathanDJ
Yeah, sure I'll go for that I guess, seeings how there was no George W. Bush Jr.
Vote Placed by Relativist 2 years ago
Relativist
TheCommonManBobTurnerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession warrants loss of conduct. Pro was the only one making arguments, as such points to him. Only Pro's argument was backed by sources.
Vote Placed by Hematite12 2 years ago
Hematite12
TheCommonManBobTurnerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago
Krazzy_Player
TheCommonManBobTurnerTied