TheFlashGordon
StatsAndFacts

Free College Education

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

TheFlashGordon

Con

If you are interested in accepting this debate, please read the following before accepting.

Debate Itinerary:
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening Arguments
Round 3&4: Rebuttals
Round 5: Closing Arguments/Conclusions

I will be taking the side of why College education should not be free for students.
Con will be why College education should be free for students.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to a good debate!
StatsAndFacts

Pro

I accept this challenge. I will be taking the side of why college education should be free for students.
TheFlashGordon

Con

I will start out by asking, if the students who attend college won’t have to pay, who will?

Wouldn’t it be nice to have everything handed to us? We live in a generation that does not want to work for what they have. But College is not something that should be handed to anybody. If College was free for everyone it would no longer push students to excel in High School. Between the years of 07-08 only .03% of students received full academic scholarships. Not 3%, .03%. That .03% worked hard their entire High School career to earn the free tuition they received. Making College free would kill the drive to excel in High School. Scholarships give students something to stride for. Everyone knows College is expensive, so to show that students who do the best in school will have it paid for will make many work harder for their chance to earn that free tuition.

Many make arguments that free College education would solve our low education problem overnight, we need to take into consideration the students that would not pass/ take the free tuition for granted. College is known as a time to experiment, and a time to party. How many students would go to College, for the experience instead of the education simply because it is paid for? Students would use College as an excuse to extend the time before they need to become adult, although College is supposed to be the first steps a student makes as an adult.

It is also unfair to take money from people who earned it and give it to people who hasn't. Nobody owes anyone free college. Simply giving students free College would not teach them anything about adulthood. From the time we are born to the moment we turn 18 we have been soaking up benefits given to us by our parents and grandparents. But once we become adults it is time for us to repay it to them. We no longer need to live off money given to us by our elders. But one way to pay for everyone's college education is not teaching us to grow up, but instead teaching us to continue living off the people who have been paying for our lives our entire lives.

Making College a public option would not lower the cost, but instead change who pays for it. The point isn’t that tuition prices don’t matter. But making tuition prices zero won’t guarantee students success, and will raise the risk of many taking advantage of the tuition handed to them.

StatsAndFacts

Pro

StatsAndFacts forfeited this round.
TheFlashGordon

Con

TheFlashGordon forfeited this round.
StatsAndFacts

Pro

StatsAndFacts forfeited this round.
TheFlashGordon

Con

TheFlashGordon forfeited this round.
StatsAndFacts

Pro

StatsAndFacts forfeited this round.
TheFlashGordon

Con

TheFlashGordon forfeited this round.
StatsAndFacts

Pro

First, I would like to apologize for being unable to post for the past week. I've been having some personal issues. As this is my first argument, I will be posting Rebuttals along with closing arguments.

Con starts his argument by asking "if the students who attend college won't have to pay, who will?"
I believe that this is a pretty straightforward answer - the government! Many other countries are doing it, including countries such as Germany, Norway, and Sweden, all of which have a strong economy. But the core of Con's argument is that if college is paid for by the government, students won't have the drive to do well in college. I believe this is very much untrue. Although getting scholarships is one reason to try to excel in high school, there are many, many others. For instance, being able to get into a good college in the first place. In my opinion, this is a far bigger motivator than scholarships or financial aid. Many people only need scholarships due to getting into big schools with great reputations, but the cost over $50,000 a year. I would also argue that if college was free, more people would be MORE motivated rather than less. Many smart students in our country have to turn down amazing schools simply because they can't afford it. What's the point of even trying hard in school if you know you just have to go to an in-state school no matter how well you do?
In conclusion, I believe that college should be free. It is an important life decision that can impact your quality of life forever. No one should have to turn down a great college because they can't afford it. This isn't the America we want to live in - America is supposed to be the place where it doesn't matter how much you make or what your culture is, as long as you work hard. Let's find that America again.
Posted by bballcrook21 1 year ago
bballcrook21
You should debate with me on this. I will be Con for free college.
Posted by Berend 1 year ago
Berend
I'm very tempted. I'll come back and give an answer.