Free Education Lowering Poor Rates

I believe that free education can lower poor rates through minor discrimination against the poor. Education or the lack of education is the roots of poverty, so making it available for everyone means that we have already eliminated most of the problem. The other half of the problem lies in the majority of poor people who, given free education, don't take advantage of it and live off of government money. These "lazy" poor people can be solved by a slight form of class discrimination that will be healthy for our economy. Similar to the Poor Laws in England 1839, we will make being poor undesirable by not funding them. This will force them to accept the education or live on the streets. By doing this, we will become more efficient and will improve our overall living conditions and nation.

I accept this debate. My primary argument will be against free, four-year, private university (therefore not Elementary, Middle, High School, Trade School, or two year Community Colleges) and discrimination against the poor.

Some households face discrimination by landlords who are unwilling to rent to voucher holders. They do this as an economic advantage because the poor people may fail to pay rent. The main cause of this issue is that people put so much value on money and use money as a way to determine people"s worth. The rich continually have many opportunities to make more money because they use the money they already have to help them, while the poor can"t really do much because they don"t have much money. The poor have many disadvantages while the rich can make sure they get to have advantages. Even if the poor want to start working at a better paying job, the employers , before even looking at their resumes, might judge them for the way they look. They might not have as good of an education as the rich because they couldn"t afford to pay for the college fees. Since they couldn"t get a better education, they can"t get the better paying job. They continue to stay poor. Since people put so much value on money, they think the more money you have, the better you are. It gives the people a feeling of superiority and makes them think that they have to right to look down on the people making less money than them. People with money also tend to have much more power than those who don"t. The ones who don"t want to make sure that they are in favor of the ones that hold the power, so they would also look down on those who make less money than them to show the rich that they are thinking in the same way as them; that the rich are more superior.

Free education at the four year, private university level is not required. Many social mobility and career opportunities are available through the two year community college, which can be affordable to many Americans. My local community college will cost me around $5,000 USD for tuition. This is very much affordable. Although the job market can be tough, it is not impossible. You can have a good chance of snagging a minimum wage position if you put in a lot of effort in your resume and interview. If you sell yourself really well and do your job well, you won't have trouble. Today, discrimination is still an issue in employment, but it is a lot less common than in the past.

I will be using an example. Let's assume I am a Black American Male. I am 18 years of age and reside in a poor community (AKA, "Ghetto") and am fresh out of a under-performing minority High School. I live at home with my mother and father, who both work very hard to make ends meet. We don't have a lot of money, but we manage to get by since they both work. Thanks to my hard work and refusal to conform to gang culture that plagues my area, I am able meet the criteria for both merit based and need based aid to my local community college. Now that $5,000 tuition is even more affordable to me. Using a well crafted resume, and selling myself as a young black male, pulling himself out of the ghetto, (and a little luck) I am able to get a minimum wage job. This job pays for my car and gas, so I can get to the college. I stay at home with my parents, to save money. Whatever my scholarships can't pay, my job can. After I finish up my degree, I can now get a higher-paying job. (Same as before, carefully crafted resume, sell yourself, bit of luck, seek affirmative action). This higher paying job allows me to afford my own place, so I can get out of the "ghetto". If wanted to advance even further, I can continue my education using this higher paying job. The job would allow me to pay loans to go to a 4 year university if I so wished. I could also just keep working and not continue my education.

As you can see above, it is entirely possible and feasible to climb the social class ladder without free education. Many community colleges are relatively inexpensive. Free education at the four year university level would be a costly program, simply adding on to the growing national debt. I will also point out, any able bodied person can join the military in a non combat position to receive the benefits it provides. The military is often very generous with its benefits in exchange for your service, including helping you pay for college.

In summary, there are many ways to pay for or receive a college education without a national free college program.

StroodlePenguin forfeited this round.

My closing argument and final points:

1. Affordability of Community College/Trade Schools

Trade Schools and Community Colleges can be very inexpensive. The base tuition for my local Community College is $5,000. If you live off-campus (ideally still at home with your folks) and apply for merit based and need based aid/grants, then this drops even further. In comparison to 4 year colleges, it is a question of, "Do you want to buy a 6 inch sub for 5 dollars, or a full foot long for 500 dollars?".

2. Many other causes of Poverty

Not getting an education is not always the direct problem, sometimes it is simply a symptom. Often drug addiction or a pregnancy will factor into someone's decision to drop out. These people often drop out during high school, and they have nothing but their own decisions to blame. Drug addicts care more about working their McDonald's job to buy lines of coke then their schooling. Teen moms sometimes don't have the family support to go to school and raise a child (The child being an outcome of a poor decision from two people's judgement.) I will cite a personal experience just to show you the irresponsibility of some people. I know a teen who got his teen partner pregnant, twice. The first time, it was a miscarriage. This second time, it seems like they are gonna have a baby. He claims he couldn't afford condoms. So he apparently decided just not to worry about it and do it anyway despite not being ready to raise a child. This personal example shows you that some people do not make very good life decisions. These people should not be breeding, but funny enough, it is their stupidity that eggs them on to breed. So you can see, not everyone would be able or even want to take advantage of the free higher education. Many people stupidly just live day to day without any thought about long term consequences, such as their education.

3. Financial Aid
There are many avenues of aid open to those in need. Community College is a great way to improve your ability to seek jobs that have higher earning potential. It is also a lot cheaper than the full 4 year private experience. Although, if you insist on the 4 year degree, there is still a lot of aid open to you. Aid at a community college can just about give you a free ride already. Aid at a private 4 year university gives you a lot of help if you meet the criteria. This is especially true for the ones who struggle most to get their higher education, minorities. Through the help if merit based aid, need based aid, and affirmative action, minorities can help get a decent push in the right direction. This helps them in the fight against Institutional Racism. (Depending on your definition, some people prefer to redefine racism as prejudice plus power, I myself prefer the classics and using institutional racism in that specific case. Anyway..)

4. Cost of The Program

The cost of having free higher education would undeniably force a higher burden on taxpayers, or major budget cuts in other areas. College is expensive. Having Uncle Sam pick up the tab is expensive.

5. The Republican Party

The Republicans would not like this program. It would be hard getting it passed, and once it gets passed, it may not survive.

So in summary, you can see that free higher education is a costly, expensive program, that would not solve all cases of poverty.
Posted by Rami 7 months ago
So, you want to do this: make eduction completely free, but get rid of funding for the poor? That doesn't seem to farfetched.