wac8caw
ioannesmartinus

Free Music

ioannesmartinus
Started: 10/3/2013 Category: Music

ioannesmartinus

Pro

I assume and assert, from my opponent's nearly non-existent first round statements, that this debate is specifically over "Getting music for free is stealing," and that my opponent will be debating the Pro of this statement.

Since no specific guidelines were given, I propose the first round be for introductions/acceptance and rules/definitions only, the second round for arguments only (no addressing your opponent's statements), and the third round for rebuttals and conclusions.

As such, I accept my opponent's proposition with the understanding that the word "stealing" means "to take something without permission or legal right."

I thank my opponent for posting.
wac8caw

Con

wac8caw forfeited this round.
ioannesmartinus

Pro

ioannesmartinus forfeited this round.
wac8caw

Con

wac8caw forfeited this round.
ioannesmartinus

Pro

Given the minimal nature of my opponent's argument--which is to say: there has not been one--as well as the oddity of topic and position taking (I mis-typed my initial supposition as:

"'Getting music for free is stealing,' and that my opponent will be debating the Pro of this statement."

When I ought to have typed "Getting music for free is not stealing," and that my opponent was taking the Con. This seems to be a matter of semantics, considering the resulting arguments would likely have been the same.

That being said, I feel I only need to, in light of my opponent's abdandonment of this debate, point out a single case in which getting music for free is not stealing to effectively win the debate:

As you can see here: http://www.amazon.com... artists give away music in order to promote themselves, a certain album, or for any number of other reasons. Since theft requires a lack of consent from the person from whom property is taken, and these artists have given their consent, it shows that getting music for free certainly can be something other than stealing. Therefore the blanket statement that free music is [always] stolen is false.
Posted by ramyakarna 3 years ago
ramyakarna
hey ppls
Vote Placed by Eliter 3 years ago
Eliter
wac8cawioannesmartinusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had more reasonable arguments than Con