Dpowell
Vik.Sid

Free college is a terrible idea.

Dpowell

Dpowell

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Arguments
Round 3: Arguments/Rebuttals
Round 4: Conclusion

Debate Rules:
* No trolling
*No cheating
* No unreliable sources (i.e. wikipedia)
Vik.Sid

Con

I believe that free education is a gift to society and students everywhere. Sometimes when I look at my college debts, I think that "College education should be free." I do however think its a terrible idea to completely free all colleges because then not only would the economy suffer, every department would suffer because than they would not be able to provide enough money to hire teachers, teacher assistants, and students working with professors would not get funding for a research project. The class size today is roughly 400 - 600 students in a first year course (I. Biology, Chemistry, Psychology) but making education free would result in there being 1000+ students in each class and not enough teachers. The school suffers, students suffer, the economy suffers, and we end up with nothing.
Dpowell

Pro

To start off, I'd like to remind my opponent that their objective is to prove that free college is a good idea. I'm also going to define a few terms.

Free- without cost or payment

https://www.google.com...

Idea- a thought or suggestion as to a possible course of action

https://www.google.com...

Section 1:
People have been talking about "free college" for a long time. There are a ton of expectations of what free college should be, the most popular of which is subsidizing tuition to $0. One could literally right a full essay on the different conceptions of "free", especially other things that people expect to be free.

In the link that I will post beneath this round, it claims that one of the disadvantages of a free college system, is how disproportionately well-off backgrounds/futures are in the current college system. There are rich and poor kids in college, with the rich mostly found in 4+ year and private colleges and the poor commonly found in public 2-4 year colleges. With these differences, setting up a free college system would almost nearly mean giving more money to the students of rich families than the students of poor families. Even with special benefits granted to people, the richer kids would always end up with more money. This is one factor that student benefit protesters never look at, so if they accomplish in setting up a free college system, they'll be in for a big surprise.

https://newrepublic.com...

Section 2:
In this section, I shall go over 10 reasons why free college is a bad idea.

1. It is technically stealing. People work really hard for their money, and the government would take large proportions of that money because someone has to pay for those colleges. In the link, an angry parent states that her money should go to her kids, not some 18-year-old who's too lazy to get a job so they can pay for their own college. If this becomes a case, which is very likely, college students may become lazy, because they'd no longer have to work to stay in college, so they won't get jobs when they leave. Heck, in one video I watched on YouTube (I will post the video's link below), a supposed "rich guy" believed that he gets paid, just because he graduated college and has a degree. With free college, this could be all college graduates. But at the moment, that outcome is just a theory.

2. No one owes us anything. We've all spent our lives getting things that other people have paid for. And we want that to count for college too? Giving your kids what they want because they whine is considered "bad parenting". Kid's can get used to this, and if they do, they'll expect everyone to pay for whatever they want. This will make going out into the real world really hard for them. Setting up a free college system, will not help them join the "maturity club".

3. Free college, like Obamacare and Medicaid, is a Socialist idea. Looking back through history, one should come to realize that Socialist ideas never succeed. If one can't realize this, they might as well be uneducated and I'm sure there are a lot of students who don't want uneducated people trying to change their education system.

4. Only 21% of people graduate community college. Why would we make something free, if people are just going to waste their and the teacher's time with it?

5. We're not ready to change anything about our colleges. Federal surveys have shown that current "college graduates" can only read at a 7th grave level, and this level has been decreasing since 1992. This goes to show that we should focus on Middle and High school so that we can have a better education going into college so we can "advance" our education.

6. If colleges become free, a 2-year degree, would become worth as much as a High School diploma.
"If too many people easily obtain a college degree, then the value of that degree becomes equal to what a high school degree had been for future employment purposes" - Lloyd Bensen IV

7. Everyone can already afford a community college, even with a 40-hour minimum wage job. Even after paying their college fees, people still have enough money to pay for gas, food, and other necessities and luxuries. Why fix what isn't broken?

8. College is close to being un-necessary. People are finding ways to get a job they enjoy, without having to go to college to do so. If we encourage this, we'd no longer have a need for college in the first place. So why make something we don't necessarily need free?

9. Our economy doesn't need the free college. With most jobs requiring no less than a 2 year degree, and many new jobs that only require a high school diploma on the verge of being created, colleges are yet again, not needed. So, making it free would just be pointless.

10. This is one of the big reasons why free college is bad. We are far in debt. Our national debt currently rests at *18.1 trillion and counting. Adding "free" college wouldn't help any. It's bad enough that the government can't pass a budget and cut expensive programs such as Social Security and Medicare, both of which are sending us into a fiscal hell. Making colleges free would just increase our current debts, which isn't really helping the economy either. We would literally achieve nothing from this.

http://thefederalist.com...

https://www.youtube.com...

I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate and I look forward to reading their arguments.
Vik.Sid

Con

Vik.Sid forfeited this round.
Dpowell

Pro

All points extended.
Vik.Sid

Con

Vik.Sid forfeited this round.
Dpowell

Pro

All points extended.

This concludes my part of the debate. I now ask the voters, in the sense that I have debated with no worry of rebuttals and nothing to stand against my arguments except two forfeits, that you vote for me. I also open up my arms to my opponent in hopes that they will use the opportunity to post their arguments. I'm very interested in seeing how they were, or would prove that free college is a good idea.

At this point I have nothing further to say. I thank both my opponent and the voters for their time.
Vik.Sid

Con

Vik.Sid forfeited this round.
Posted by Dpowell 1 year ago
Dpowell
So much for a contested debate.
Posted by raskuseal 1 year ago
raskuseal
I agree. Nothing in life is free. You'd think that that old coot, Bernie sanders, would have that understood by now, but no.
Posted by Dpowell 1 year ago
Dpowell
@ViceRegent: This debate is about why and how free college is a bad idea. I'm sure your point will be brought up in the debate eventually as you made a very good one concerning how free college can be a bad thing.
Posted by ViceRegent 1 year ago
ViceRegent
The only way to make college free is to put into slavery the teachers, staff, etc. This is immoral.
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
Please define your terms (example, Free needs to be defined in terms of this debate, because there is always some form of cost to do anything... unless you just want a semantics victory)
Vote Placed by famousdebater 1 year ago
famousdebater
DpowellVik.SidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the burden of proof since he was making a positive claim. Since he provided arguments in support of the resolution and Con did not respond to any of them (instead forfeited) this means that Pro fulfills his burden by default since all his arguments were uncontested. Con does argue in the first round however I disregards these arguments for 2 reasons. Reason 1 is that the first round (according to the structure) was strictly for acceptance only, and also due to the fact that Pro had the sole BOP means that I ultimately do not look for Con to argue. I look for Con to refute Pro's claims. Pro wins by providing convincing arguments, Con wins by negating Pro's arguments. Since Con only provided arguments in the first round (that are invalidated and are irrelevant), this ultimately means that I look at Pro's arguments only and since they are not refuted I vote in Pro's favor since his burden is fulfilled.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
DpowellVik.SidTied
Vote Placed by illegalcombat 1 year ago
illegalcombat
DpowellVik.SidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeits 3/4 rounds. Conduct to Pro.