shakuntala
mkat

Free verse is not poetry

Started: 7/3/2013 Category: Arts

shakuntala

Pro

This work points out
http://www.scribd.com...

Based on the definition of free verse it follows free verse is not poetry

.
"In poetry, metre (meter in American English) is the basic rhythmic structure of a verse or lines in verse "

"The word "verse" is commonly used in lieu of "poetry" to distinguish it from prose. Where the common unit of poetry, that is, verse, is based on meter or rhyme

A verse is formally a single metrical line in a poetic composition"

Free verse is usually defined as having no fixed meter and no end rhyme"

Thus free verse is not poetry/verse and those who write it are not poets as free verse is not in metre-which is the defining essence of poetry ie which makes a writing poetry

if free verse is poetry then there is no way to tell free verse from prose
also if free verse is poetry then the works Dickens or Tolstoy or any prose writer is poetry
and the telephone directory or encyclopedia are poetry
mkat

Con

As a poet myself, I find free verse is quite commonly the most meaningful kind of poetry. I know that's going off topic but I find the task of having to rhyme words to one another can be very restricting and the poem loses its...je ne sais quoi. It becomes a slave to convention, I guess. I find that the common person is OBSESSED with categorizing trivial things...this being one of them. According to the wikipedia definition free verse CAN be categorized as both poetry and prose. None the less, I will attempt to argue this trivial matter. Poetry is defined as "a form of literary art which uses aesthetic and rhythmic qualities of language"such as phonaesthetics, sound symbolism, and metre"to evoke meanings in addition to, or in place of, the prosaic ostensible meaning." Poetry aims to convey something whether it be a story, an experience, an emotion etc. under restrictions. Free verse actually uses restrictions. As wikipedia states, "Most free verse, for example, self-evidently continues to observe a convention of the poetic line in some sense, at least in written representations, though retaining a potential degree of linkage, however nebulous, with more traditional forms." So in essence, free verse is just less restricting than other forms of poetry but it still has some restriction and should be categorized as poetry.
shakuntala

Pro

you say
"Poetry is defined as "a form of literary art which uses aesthetic and rhythmic qualities of language"such as phonaesthetics, sound symbolism, and metre"to evoke meanings "

you say one of the characteristic of your definition of poetry is metre
but free verse does not use metre so therefore it is not poetry

you say
"So in essence, free verse is just less restricting than other forms of poetry but it still has some restriction and should be categorized as poetry."

so tell us what is the difference between free verse and prose
mkat

Con

mkat forfeited this round.
shakuntala

Pro

if you cant tell us
what is the difference between free verse and prose
then it seems i win
mkat

Con

mkat forfeited this round.
shakuntala

Pro

if you cant tell us
then it seems i win
mkat

Con

mkat forfeited this round.
shakuntala

Pro

mkat forfeited his rounds
so I guess I win.
mkat

Con

mkat forfeited this round.
Posted by shakuntala 4 years ago
shakuntala
you say

your dictionary agrees with wiki ie poetry is in metre
your quote
the art of rhythmical composition ie metre], written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts.
2.
literary work in metrical form; verse.

the rest is just circular
quote
3.
prose with poetic qualities[ie 2.
literary work in metrical form; verse.]
4.
poetic qualities however manifested[2.
literary work in metrical form; verse.] : the poetry of simple acts and things.
Posted by ClassicRobert 4 years ago
ClassicRobert
I apologize, I thought you were trying to define poetry with one of the quoted statements.
Posted by ClassicRobert 4 years ago
ClassicRobert
That isn't the definition of poetry; that's wikipedia trying to describe it. This is the definition from Dictionary.com
Poetry:
1.
the art of rhythmical composition, written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts.
2.
literary work in metrical form; verse.
3.
prose with poetic qualities.
4.
poetic qualities however manifested: the poetry of simple acts and things.
5.
poetic spirit or feeling: The pianist played the prelude with poetry.