Slycat
gingerbread-man

Free will is a Social construct giving the illusion of autonomous thought

gingerbread-man

Slycat

Pro

While I do believe that people THINK they have some sort of freedom in the choices they make throughout life and to some extent autonomous thought, I also believe that these perceptions of free will are an artificial construction that either never existed or no longer exists and instead acts as a placeholder for true free will. I'll be discussing various societal obligations and taboos, both old and contemporary. and how these factors have impacted our autonomy. Also as a reminder, I'm open to new ideas and would like to be convinced otherwise on the topic matter. Also if citing a source, please make sure it's credible and if providing an analysis on a text, please be in-depth but concise, otherwise anyone that feels confident discussing this topic, please do.
gingerbread-man

Con

I will be arguing the Con position.

I will assume that the burden of proof is on the Pro side, unless otherwise stated in the second round by my opponenet.

With only three rounds of 5000 each, this should be short and sweet, and considering not much has been made of the first round I will not put forward my case until the second round.

Have fun!
Slycat

Pro

Slycat forfeited this round.
gingerbread-man

Con

Well this is not a good start - I won't spend a lot of my time crafting an elaborate and elequent arguement just in case my oponent does not reappear. So for the sake of putting something down that is marginally more convincing than a concession.....

I will be arguing on three different fronts:

1. Free will is not a social construct:

Although social constructs and society norms do have impact and influence on our decisions they do not negate the ability for us to make decisions that determine our future.

2. Free will is not an illustion,

As we are able to direct the course of our existence free will is not an illusion

3. We have autonomous thought.

Although sometimes it can take effort, humans are capable of transending the influences of their existence and experience to make decisions that set them on a different path. The belief of anything other than this suggests that we are mindless, directionless beings incapable bettering or challenging the status quo

over to you....??
Slycat

Pro

Slycat forfeited this round.
gingerbread-man

Con

There is nothing worse to be invited along to a party only to find that the host has not bothered to turned up.

To expand on my first round....

My opponent has failed to put forward any kind of an argument by forfeiting two rounds.

They have soundly demonstrated that even when an individual sets up a debate on DDO they are able to make a great change in their decision making process to completely ignore the commitment they made prior.

This decision to forfeit with no notification goes against all social constructs of manners and politeness and further lends to my argument that free will is nothing like what my opponent has put forward.

Vote Con - because I see things to the end, even though no one is around to watch.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
Seems non-falsifiable, since all our perceptions are shaped by social constructs.
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
your illusionist defenatly made your write that, you cant argue with me there
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Slycatgingerbread-manTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Slycatgingerbread-manTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never makes an affirmative argument to fulfil his/her BoP, so arguments go to Con. Conduct to Con for Pro's round forfeits.