BertrandsTeapot
Rayday

Free will is not an illusion

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

BertrandsTeapot

Con

One cannot be the author of their own conscious desires or thoughts. One cannot have control over their wants and needs and impulses. Any decision you try to trace back can only be traced back to some unconscious process over which you had no control.

“How can we be “free” as conscious agents if everything that we consciously intend is caused by events in our brain that we do not intend and of which we are entirely unaware? ” - Sam Harris

"Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills. " - Arthur Schopenhauer
Rayday

Pro

Ok so what your saying is no one is in control of you? Because that's what your implying. It is your brain that is thinking your thoughts and you can stop thinking. You can control your needs and wants. Say do I need to do pushups or drink water for the rest of my life. I can choose the important need. I learned I need water that does not mean I want it. I choose to drink water because I choose to live.
BertrandsTeapot

Con

Yes my brain is thinking thoughts, But I am not the chooser of those thoughts. I may stop thinking via meditation, But I cannot be the one who decides to stop thinking. You might say you wanted to stop thinking because you're sad. I would ask why you're stressed and why stopping thinking is your solution as opposed to e. G. Taking drugs.

"I choose to live. " Do you? Why? Aversion to mortality is built in. Do you want to live so you can see your family? Why? You didn't choose to value family.
Rayday

Pro

Yes you are the chooser of your thoughts. One minute I can be thinking about cofee than the next I can be thinking about cars. If you can't stop thinking for yourself who will your mom? You don't need to stop thinking because you can change your thoughts. I choose to live because Allah has commanded me to.
BertrandsTeapot

Con

In theory, Sure you can move thought from coffee to cars or vice verse. But you definitely can"t consciously decide to change thoughts or what to change your thoughts to. Any logical examination that traces your thoughts to their genesis will land in one of two places: physical events outside of your control or a combination of nature/nurture.

You most certainly have 0 control over physical events outside yourself. You also did not choose which parents to be born to or how they raised you.
Rayday

Pro

Yes but then again I could always live under a rock but I don't because God does not want that. This is yet another proof of religion. So in a way you are right. I do not control my thoughts, God does. He chose my parents as he chose everything else. Look at you, You just proved god.
Posted by Furyan5 3 weeks ago
Furyan5
Well that went downhill fast.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 month ago
dsjpk5
Backwards vote is in violation with the established rules of the website. That's why I am countering it.
Posted by canis 1 month ago
canis
I need a bigger boat in 2023
Posted by NYStateofMined 1 month ago
NYStateofMined
Don't listen to dspk whatever he's an idiot. He's easily the dumbest person I've ever seen attempt to be part of a conversation. He's sort of like a cross between Donald Trump, Hellen Keller, And Eric Cartman's mom.
Posted by BertrandsTeapot 1 month ago
BertrandsTeapot
dsjpk5 just voted for Con stating, "Countering backwards horrible vote. "

Wow. Glad to see we're all treating these debates with respect from an unbiased, Emotionless standpoint. It's really nice to know the outcomes are being dictated by people who actually care about the quality of the arguments rather than their preconceived notions of the topics
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 month ago
dsjpk5
BertrandsTeapotRaydayTied
Reasons for voting decision: Countering backwards horrible vote.
Vote Placed by backwardseden 1 month ago
backwardseden
BertrandsTeapotRaydayTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro lost the debate when he said " I do not control my thoughts, God does." and " Look at you, You just proved god." Nobody has ever proved god at anytime or anywhere. And how does Pro know that Con has proved god? POOF did god just show up in Con's lap or something? Bad ideology from Con.