Futurepresident2048
TBR

Freedom before equality

Futurepresident2048

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening statements, no Rebuttles
Round 3: Rebuttles only on opponents opening argument
Round 4: Closing Statements

No sources needed, just know what your talking about. Voters don't penalize either of us for sources.
TBR

Con

BOP is on Pro to prove that there must be a order, and it must be freedom before equality.
Futurepresident2048

Pro

Woah woah, I only have to prove an order? Then let's just cancel this debate and call it square.
TBR

Con

Freedom is an abstraction, a concept. Each may interpret what it means to be free, but few would argue that "freedom" in society does not includes equal access to opportunity. "All men are created equal" penned by Thomas Jefferson in the declaration of independence framed the entire concept of what we were declaring. Jefferson knew that equality must be insured for freedom to exist.

Equality is a vital part of how we even measure our "freedom". People rising to whatever level they may obtain is only possible where no man is shackled by constraints that other men do not have.

Without equality, there is no freedom.
Futurepresident2048

Pro

Well then
TBR

Con

Let"s take an unusual tact from the obvious. Take it in a direction that a libertarian may like more. Unprovoked shooting a gun at someone is an example of restriction of freedom. I have freedom to a gun, I have freedom to shoot it, but the good men and woman of our country have limited this freedom to do so when it violated the rights of others to remain safe. The equal nature of all citizens to be safe comes before your freedom to shoot people.

Equality before freedom.
Futurepresident2048

Pro

Okay deal, voters please don't voe.
TBR

Con

TBR forfeited this round.
Posted by Stefy 1 year ago
Stefy
I dont think there can be freedom without equality or at least a reasonably small level of inequality. What we have now is inacceptable.
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
Sure... Why not.

How about writing an actual resolution then?
Posted by Futurepresident2048 1 year ago
Futurepresident2048
Well if you'd agree to re do this debate and cancel this one then I'd be able to since now you've taken up two rounds.
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
Don't challenge me to a debate and bring no debate to the table.
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
Then make an argument! You are pro. Make an affirmative argument.
Futurepresident2048
And it's not about what the man said, it's about what those words mean
Futurepresident2048
You told me I had to defend my stance, therefore saying you only had to Attack.
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
I gave you opportunity to sharpen the resolution, you did not take it. Again, you might want to look up what exactly was being discussed by the man that said these words you toss around so casually.
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
OK fine. I will take it as is.
Futurepresident2048
I'm not doing it from his quote. This is about freedom and equality in society in our country.