KyrinAnderson
pittythefool

Freedom of Speech

KyrinAnderson

Pro

If we have freedom of speech then why are we being held againest it? Why can't we speak what we want to speak without getting in trouble? John gave us freedom of speech and freedom of press so we could speak freely without getting trouble. But now-an-days we are deprived of our rights to freedom of speech.

It's not fair that we can't speak our mind anymore. Yea I understand why we have rules and crap like that, but like I said it's depriving us the chance of getting heard.
pittythefool

Con

I'm interested in what you feel you are not being allowed to say. Any chance you could elaborate? Also what would you want people to hear?

Oh and if you could be so kind to explain who John is?

Its interesting to see what people would consider "getting into trouble" and what is really stopping them speaking there mind.
KyrinAnderson

Pro

I feel that people now-an-days can barely say what their feeling because they are either afraid or too scared that something bad will happen. There are people now-an-days who are getting arrested for things they have published in a newspaper or an article. John Peter Zenger fought for our freedom of speech for a reason, I may not know that reason but everyone has a reason for doing something. I want people not to be afraid or to scared to express their feelings about a certain subject. At my school I know a bunch of people who are to afraid to speak what their thinking because they want to be liked by acting like someone else, but if you don't speak out you'll never be heard. People should be able to express their feelings or what their thinking without being taken to jail or any of that.

John is John Peter Zenger he gave us freedom of speech, freedom of press and trial of jury. In 1733 Zenger began criticizing the royal governor of New York in his newspaper; officials charged him with committing libel against a public official. They accused him of printing a false written statement that damaged the governors reputation. Zenger was arrested in 1734. Zenger's attorney said that Zenger could publish anything as long as it was true because "Nothing can worse to any government than to have people attempt to create distrust and dislike of the management of it."
pittythefool

Con

I do believe people should not be afraid of going to jail for speaking their mind however percecution, harrasment and slander can't be ignored and in some cases should have consequences whether criminal or civil. I also believe that the press should be very cautious when reporting on issues such as war especially when there slant on a story has the potential to sway public opinion which may then lead to war. Peoples lives can be drastically effected by someone's comments or views, for this reason people and organisations should be accountable for their positions. If someone has an opinion which is aired in public they should then take responsibility for what they have said. This should not stop people expressing their opinion if they genuinely feel something needs to be said, if they feel they are standing up for what's right or if it is for the greater good. No one should feel silenced and everyone should have the opportunity to say what's on their mind, however caution must be given to unecessarily offending or victimsimg people. People will react in many ways to comments or views, their may at times be unwarranted consequences however if there was never anyone to speak then were would the world be?
KyrinAnderson

Pro

I do side with some things that you have written, but the majority I side with my written statements. Most people I know don't feel like their being heard and sometimes I feel the same. But no one is the same, I will make blogs, articles, go on websites just to be heard. I do see where your coming from for being bullied, teased and picked on; but it's not always words. Some people cyberbully because they are either to afraid to speak to your face or their want to find new ways to make fun of you. And yes, some people should be punished for what their say but that doesn't mean schools and other places need to take away our way of words. We have the right and we need to use it. If we are forbidden to speak what we want at places then why give us the right to speak what we want in the first place?

My teacher today told me she wanted to hear what we have to say, but when I told her what I wanted 'em to hear she got pissed. Schools deprive us of our freedom right after they say they want to hear what we have to say. It's not fair but then again the world isn't fair but we should also be able to have input on anything and everything doesn't matter how much our words affect someone.
pittythefool

Con

Words can be very powerful and can effect people's lives which I feel are more important then their feelings. Opinions do need to be heard but if words can be chosen carefully they generally should. People can never really be silenced as long as someone is willing to listen. Someone is usually willing to listen if something worthwhile is being said. Most people have something worthwhile....some of the time.
Posted by snkcake666 11 months ago
snkcake666
John Locke? John Adams?
Posted by Enlighten 11 months ago
Enlighten
I think we all have freedom of speech, but that freedom has its limitations, both when looking at it from the point of view of law and morals. In terms of law, there are many restrictions on our freedom of speech; the laws of copyright, the laws of patent and many such laws.. But in terms of morals, freedom of speech should be limited. We should differentiate between freedom of speech and freedom to vilify things which are important or sacred to other people. An example being the Charlie Hebdo killings, although it is freedom of speech for one to say he disagrees with the teachings of this religion, it becomes freedom to vilify when the rude cartoons were drawn of one who is sacred to 2 billion people worldwide. Now whilst the cartoons were a breach or an example of one taking the advantage of freedom of speech, the reaction was also not good enough, that's for a different debate though. Therefore freedom of speech should be limited when there is a chance of harming other people as a result, and even causing violence. Freedom of speech is a great institution, but when one takes advantage of it and misuses it, that's when it becomes dangerous.
Posted by pittythefool 11 months ago
pittythefool
? Sorry no clearer mate! John?
Posted by pittythefool 11 months ago
pittythefool
? Sorry no clearer mate! John?
Posted by bballcrook21 11 months ago
bballcrook21
Who is John? You said " John gave us freedom of speech "
Posted by KyrinAnderson 11 months ago
KyrinAnderson
@retroz
The debate is about freedom of speech. If u believe (con) that we should follow the rules put aboard us for freedom of speech or (pro) that u believe that we should be able to say whatever we want like we used to be able to do back then when we first got freedom of speech passed.
Posted by retroz 11 months ago
retroz
Just wondering but what is the debate?