CoolPeppers12
MolecularBird

French is just as useful as Spanish in America.

MolecularBird

CoolPeppers12

Pro

It all started when my friend said, "Spanish is most useful because we have many Spanish speaking people in our country" I'm like "heck no" I thought this. "Why should I learn a language that I think sounds UGLY and learn it just because we have a lot of Spanish speakers. Who cares!! I want to learn French! It sure sounds nicer than Spanish anyway, But that's my personal opinion. And I really do not like the Spanish culture. Not my THING.

And later, a student at school said, "Most people can pronounce the words!" Thinking, I could care less about how to speak that language. I'd rather learn French.

For me, French is more useful because I will be travailing to France and Quebec more often and I plan to NEVER even step foot in Spain nor Mexico. I'd rather visit Argentina.

AND my history teacher said, "learn Arabic and Chinese!" "There are billions of people in China!!"

NO. I WILL NEVER LEARN CHINESE.

I thank anyone who accepts this debate.

Cheers.
MolecularBird

Con

French is not a useful as Spanish in America.

Useful: having value: having value or benefit, or bringing an advantage

Knowing Spanish is more useful in America than knowing French. There are 35 million Spanish speakers while there are 659,000 French speakers. Also Spanish is listed as the most popular language besides English in America. How is knowing French more useful than Spanish if there are more Spanish speakers in America than French?

http://www.alsintl.com...
CoolPeppers12

Pro

You missed the big point of my debate. I never said French was MORE useful than Spanish in USA. I said, French is JUST as useful, meaning, learning French is useful and Learning Spanish is useful.

Look at it this way. I learn Spanish just because of the 30 million Spanish speakers. But I never want to travel to Mexico or Spain. What good will it do me, if I learn Spanish?

Bud, any language you learn is Useful. Please don't say Spanish is more useful, if I will never go to Spain.

And guess what, I live in Maine, (A state in north, eastern US) and Maine touches Quebec. There are 2% or the pop speaking Spanish while there is 57% speaking French. YES, I should really learn Spanish, shouldn't I??

NO!! Your argument falls flat to the ground
MolecularBird

Con

"You missed the big point of my debate. I never said French was MORE useful than Spanish in USA. I said, French is JUST as useful, meaning, learning French is useful and Learning Spanish is useful."

I'm saying Spanish is more useful to know in America to show that it is not as useful to know French as it is to Spanish, you have to prove that it French is as useful.

"Bud, any language you learn is Useful. Please don't say Spanish is more useful, if I will never go to Spain."

That's great,but it doesn't relate to the topic and I will never go to France.

"And guess what, I live in Maine, (A state in north, eastern US) and Maine touches Quebec. There are 2% or the pop speaking Spanish while there is 57% speaking French. YES, I should really learn Spanish, shouldn't I??"

And guess what, I live in California (a state in the south, western US) which touches Mexico. There're 38.3 million Spanish speakers in the country vs the 2.07 million French speakers (the information from above was from a survey, this is from the census). 9,696,638 people in California speak Spanish vs about the 757,132 from Maine.
CoolPeppers12

Pro

BUT still, Spanish is useless to me. TO me. I don't care if our country has mostly Spanish speakers, but If I have plans on living in France, Spanish isn't exactly useful, is it now? BUT for you, it would be!

I'm sorry if I was a bit, let's say, "rude". I do apologize. That was not an acceptable way to debate.
MolecularBird

Con

"BUT still, Spanish is useless to me. TO me. I don't care if our country has mostly Spanish speakers, but If I have plans on living in France, Spanish isn't exactly useful, is it now? BUT for you, it would be!"

True, if you want to live in France, but France isn't America is it? Also the topic is about the U.S.A in general, not just Maine, if you ran into a man here, they are more likely to speak Spanish than French.

"I'm sorry if I was a bit, let's say, "rude". I do apologize. That was not an acceptable way to debate."

Its cool. Sorry for being a bit rude also.
CoolPeppers12

Pro

"True, if you want to live in France, but France isn't America is it? Also the topic is about the U.S.A in general, not just Maine, if you ran into a man here, they are more likely to speak Spanish than French."

Okay, and? Are you, now, saying that I SHOULD learn Spanish just because France is not in America? What?
But still, If I were to learn Spanish, which is now to late because I'm in my 3rd year of French, it would serve me no use. Why would learning Spanish do any good for me? The Spanish in America (USA) NOT SOUTH AMERICA probably know English too. If you come to a country, more than likely, that person will want to learn the original language of that country. '

There are plenty of other Spanish people to help the new visitors or immigrants who are Spanish. They can manage.

It is like, this man is French, but every one learns German, Spanish, And Italian, but not Swahili. This man wants to learn Swahili. And he plans to never go to Germany, Italy and Spain (I couldn't resist not visiting Italy) but he wants to be a business person there. Do you think if he listened to his peers and learned the three Romantic languages, that would do much go for him?
MolecularBird

Con

"Okay, and? Are you, now, saying that I SHOULD learn Spanish just because France is not in America? What?
But still, If I were to learn Spanish, which is now to late because I'm in my 3rd year of French, it would serve me no use. Why would learning Spanish do any good for me? The Spanish in America (USA) NOT SOUTH AMERICA probably know English too. If you come to a country, more than likely, that person will want to learn the original language of that country. '"

I'm saying that this topic relates to America, not France, so it doesn't matter whether you want to visit France. Also it is true to gain citizenship you have to speak understandable English, but most immigrants prefer their original language.

"It is like, this man is French, but every one learns German, Spanish, And Italian, but not Swahili. This man wants to learn Swahili. And he plans to never go to Germany, Italy and Spain (I couldn't resist not visiting Italy) but he wants to be a business person there. Do you think if he listened to his peers and learned the three Romantic languages, that would do much go for him?"

How does this point relate to the topic? We are talking about all of America in general NOT JUST MAINE.
Posted by CoolPeppers12 3 years ago
CoolPeppers12
I could I have lost?!? He CON didn't even reconize that I would never visit Spain or Mexico!! I said French is just as useful as Spanish and he was like "France is not in America" WHAT A FOOl!!!

I should've one.
Posted by kamivictoria 3 years ago
kamivictoria
I believe that public schools should add more language classes simply because this is a diversified country and just because there are many groups of Spanish speaker doesn't mean that we should disregard and closed elective on languages.
Posted by CoolPeppers12 3 years ago
CoolPeppers12
Okay. I guess if one says, "America" they COULD refer to Canada or Mexico. But most know US. But whatever.
Posted by MolecularBird 3 years ago
MolecularBird
America as in the continents or just north america. I just wanted to make sure.
Posted by CoolPeppers12 3 years ago
CoolPeppers12
America = UNITED STATES. Think about it. What else do you think I was referring to?
Posted by MolecularBird 3 years ago
MolecularBird
Please define america, it can refer to the U.S or North and South America.
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
CoolPeppers12MolecularBirdTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con showed Spanish was more useful in the USA
Vote Placed by Dennybug 3 years ago
Dennybug
CoolPeppers12MolecularBirdTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did a better job arguing why spanish is more useful to learn than french. Pro did a poor job at presenting his case and got personal about it. Giving conduct and arguments to con for this reason