shooterboss
BlackVoid

Friday should be part of the weekend when school is out.

BlackVoid

shooterboss

Pro

Basic Rules and Agreements:
1. No vulgar, slang, or racist language is allowed.
2. Intentional spelling or grammar errors are not allowed.
3. The first round is for introduction and agreement purposes.
4. If sources are used, they must be cited with URLs or titles of books and authors.
5. Debaters cannot vote for themselves.
6. To support the brevity of this debate, the character limit of each round is set to 4,000 characters.

This debate is on the topic of school's being out on Friday. By convention in the United States, school is closed on weekends (currently Saturday and Sunday). I am taking the Pro/For side of this debate: I think that Friday should be included on the weekend.

I pledge that I will try to make my arguments non-biased. I am a student in junior high, and I enjoy going to school. This debate is simply for the fun and enjoyment of debating.

I wish good luck to my opponent in this debate.
BlackVoid

Con

I thank my opponent for this interesting topic and wish him the best of luck. While I am currently a senior and like to be out of school as much as possible, I dont feel like this is the best of ideas.

I await my opponent's opening arguments.

shooterboss

Pro

My apologies for an unspecific debate. I have forgotten to mention that my arguments will be based on the point of view of the United States. In general, however, the contender may bring up arguments based on worldwide statistics.

The primary issue with having Friday as part of the weekend is simple: America, as a country, is "uneducated" in relation to other countries. Many people who disagree with this topic point their attention to a decline in national test scores for both middle and high school students. On a roll of forty countries, America was placed in twenty-fifth place for highest scores on a standardized test.

However, there has been no proof that this low statistic is due to the number of days in the workweek. Other factors, such as a school's budget and the quality of school instructors, make a larger impact on productivity than more days.

In ABC's documentary "Stupid in America", one mother of a child who goes to a United States public school, stated that she could teacher her child more in one week than the school could in the entire semester. This example itself proves that higher quality instructors can increase the learning in their classrooms in shorter times.

To conclude my turn of round 2, keeping Friday will not help the situation America is in, and a higher number of days in the school week doesn't necessarily guarantee a better education. Though I have more reasons for this debate, I wish for my opponent to respond to these topics: agree or disagree and why.

(1) http://reason.com...
BlackVoid

Con

Thanks to my opponent for continuing.

My opponent's argument is that the education of Americans and the educational system is flawed, but goes on to say that its not because we don't go to school long enough. The problem according to him is mainly school budget and teacher quality.

The problem is that none of this affirms the resolution. My opponent brings up the flaws in the educational system, but never gives any warrant whatsoever as to how placing Friday into the weekend will help the situation at all. Affirming changes nothing.

He only mentions Friday once in the whole argument, where he says "keeping Friday will not help the situation America is in..."

First there's no warrant whatsoever. Secondly, I must ask, Friday may or may not be helping, but is it hurting the situation either? He never argues that it is. And that's the only incentive we would have to adding it to the weekend.

So since he fails to explain how Friday is detrimental to education or how affirming solves his problem, there's no reason to change the status quo.

Onto my arguments. I will merely present one and show why adding Friday to the weekend would be a bad thing.

1. Adding Friday to the weekend doesn't reduce school time, it just takes hours from one area and moves them somewhere else.

Believe me, I wish we could cut a school day out of every week and just chill. But it doesn't work that way. Its important to remember that schools have a requirement for how many hours students must spend at school a year. For middle through high school, this number is 1,080 hours (1).

So if you take Friday out, those hours have to be made up somewhere. Since there are 36 weeks in the school year (2), if you lose a day from each of those and assume you go to school 8 hours a day, that's a deficit of 288 hours that have to be put somewhere else. They don't just disappear.

Where do we put those hours he takes away? We have two options. 1. Add them to the end of the year. Sine we'd have to make up 36 missed days at rate of 4 per week, affirming would literally take over two months off from summer vacation.

He'll probably go for the second option though, which is to simply distribute the lost hours into the other school days. School would open earlier and close later.

Two problems. First, having school close later would conflict with the students who have jobs. They would have to go to work 1-2 hours later and lose 4-8 hours of money every week. Secondly, teenagers are biologically geared to go to bed late and sleep late (3), which is why most of us probably have lots of trouble getting up so early for school in the morning. Having to open school even earlier due to cancelling Friday would exacerbate this problem and cause a decrease in performance on tests and the like due to getting even less sleep than we do now.

Since my opponent has given no reason to affirm, and because taking away Friday from the school week creates more problems, I must negate.

1. http://opi.mt.gov...
2. http://askville.amazon.com...
3. http://news.bbc.co.uk...

shooterboss

Pro

I will have to give my contender credit for sending me information I was unaware of before the debate. The issue of time will definitely be difficult to overcome. However, schools and business may also find shortened weeks to be beneficial to their budgets.

My opponent gives the possibility that teenagers with after-school jobs will be unable to keep to the new schedule. That's what weekend jobs are for. I'm not sure whether this applies to everybody or not, but my homework takes me to 9:00 PM every night, assuming I go to athletic practices that afternoon. Many teenagers are already over-scheduled, so a longer school day wouldn't be too surprising for them.

An alternative to this system is for only elementary school and middle school students to skip Friday. Too young for jobs or many other extracurricular activities, the youth may find benefits in skipping the final day of the week without running into its drawbacks.

Second, my opponent suggests that teenagers have the tendency to sleep late and wake late. Though this is true presently, this fact does not mean that this teenage force of habit cannot be changed. As humans, our natural "programming" is to adapt to changing conditions. As school either starts earlier or ends later, many people can change their sleeping habits to mold to the new schedule.

"Districts may save 20% on bus fuel costs by cutting one day out of the week. In addition to this, the school building temperature may be lowered three days instead of just two. And, the free day can be used for appointments and other necessities." (Source #1)

Daily bills schools usually pay - lighting, heating, transportation, electricity, etc. - are cut by nearly one-fifth. Also, according to the same source, 90% of parents and teachers approve of this new schedule. Students, who finally find time for appointments, attend school more with this new system. In fact, the Utah State government has already started using this system. (Source #2)

Through money-saving strategies, schools can focus more on their quality of education.

(1) http://www.suite101.com...
(2) http://en.wikipedia.org...
BlackVoid

Con

Thanks to my opponent for continuing.

First, my argument about pro not affirming in his first speech went completely unanswered. Therefore we should toss his entire round two.

As for my argument, I will assume he accepts the suggestion to add hours to the school day. His arguments seemed to be based off that.

First on job conflict,

Pro: Teens should just get weekend jobs.

Of course, many of those weekend spots are already taken by sports players who can only work weekends because of practice. Keeping that in mind, there's not going to be enough room for every teenager with a job to only work weekends. Secondly, my argument was about teenagers making less money because school lasts longer under his system. His solution magnifies this problem by suggesting that teens should only work 2 days a week, which will cause us to lose even more money.

Next, overscheduling

Pro: Teens are already overscheduled, so a longer school day would be "no surprise".

Turn this. If teens are overscheduled already, then he worsens the problem by making school last longer each day. Just because its "no surprise" doesn't justify making the problem worse.

Alternative

Pro: We can just cancel Friday for non-high school students

First, this tacitly concedes that cancelling Friday for HS students would be a bad idea.

Secondly, we've both been talking about primarily teenagers, which are generally in high school, so he's changing his advocacy quite a bit. But whatever, he can just take Friday away for elementary and middle school if he wants, my other disadvantages still apply.

Biological clock

Pro: Teens can adapt to having to get up earlier

I can also adapt to eating three pieces of bread a day. That doesn't mean I wont suffer from anorexia or malnutrition.

In the same respect, teens probably can adapt to getting up earlier, but they will still suffer the consequences from getting less sleep than necessary, such as lack of focus and higher absentee rates, which were also outline by my source three.
'
Plus, we shouldn't have to adapt against our biological tendencies. Schools know teens are wired to sleep late, so they shouldn't try to go against that by forcing us to go in even earlier than we already do.

Financial incentives

First, all of these financial gains were new arguments presented in round three. Its an unwritten rule that no new arguments be made after the opening round.

I'll answer them nonetheless.

Pro: Less fuel cost for buses

There are ways to reduce fuel costs without causing the disadvantages previously described. For instance, schools could use Unleaded gas-powered buses instead of the standard Diesel powered buses that most schools use. This saves almost as much money, as Unleaded is 30-40 cents cheaper per gallon than Diesel. (1)

Pro: Lighting, heating, electricity costs reduced by taking a day away

Nope, they'll be the exact same since the hours lost from that day will be added on to other days. For instance, if I have a 5 day week and spend $100 a week on something, that's $20 that I'm spending each day. You'd think taking a day away means I'd only spend $80. But because hours from Friday are distributed into all other days, so would the costs. So I could only have 4 days of expenses, but since the $20 I would spend on Friday is moved into Monday through Thursday, I would spend $25 each of those 4 days, still equaling the $100 I originally spent.

So in reality, money isn't saved by affirming, its just redistributed.

Popularity

Pro: 90% approve of Friday being taken out

They wouldn't if they knew the disadvantages. My opponent himself admitted that he wasn't aware that school hours would stay the same.

For these reasons I negate.

1. http://operationupcycle.org...
shooterboss

Pro

Because this is the final round, I wish to make a short conclusion for this debate.
I cannot counter-argue with what my contender has said. Thus, I resign from this round.
BlackVoid

Con

I thank my opponent for the debate and hold nothing against him.
Posted by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
Posted by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
Cliff while I appreciate the vote, I'm wondering why he got conduct. I didn't think either if us came off as rude or anything.
Posted by Aceviper2011 6 years ago
Aceviper2011
I a Senior and our school dont have school on fridays and just saying its actually pretty cool. three full day weekends. goodluck on your debate though. this seems pretty fun to talk about.
Posted by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
Nevermind, I can just post my argument on Thursday when I'm free.
Posted by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
Is there any way you could cancel this and challenge me on Friday? I have some projects to finish this week but would love to do this. Plus, with an open debate you'll probably guy some guy who wont put much effort into this. I understand if you want to debate this now, its just a suggestion.
Vote Placed by detachment345 6 years ago
detachment345
shooterbossBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gave up
Vote Placed by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
shooterbossBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO conceded
Vote Placed by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
shooterbossBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made better arguments
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
shooterbossBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Clear win, Pro conceded and could not even form a coherent argument.
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 6 years ago
quarterexchange
shooterbossBlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made good arguments and even in the final round Pro seemed to give up