Lightbright
Zyanya

Fried chicken is better than baked chicken

Lightbright

Lightbright

Pro

Lets start my first debate off fun and simple. We have so many serious debates on here, I wanted to start off light. Who doesn't like fried chicken? We all like friend chicken. There are at least three fried chicken famous food chains, such as KFC, Popeyes, and Church's chicken. None of them serve baked chicken. I believe we could look at Boston Market, or KFC's grilled chicken as acceptions, but how much money does Boston Market make compared to KFC or Popeyes?
Zyanya

Con

First, I will confess I am a vegetarian and therefore do not in fact eat chicken. This will be more of a test of my research abilities. I must confess I was surprised at how popular this topic is on the web.

I am glad my opponent has challenged baked chicken. I am more than happy to defend the honor of baked chicken lovers everywhere against the fried chicken purists.

I must rebut the statement that we all like fried chicken. This is a broad and inaccurate statement. Just asking around my statistics class resulted in several people who are a)vegetarians and b) don't like fried chicken. Furthermore, claiming that people like fried chicken does not prove that people don't also like baked chicken.

My first source is from Taste Test: Baked vs. Fried Buffalo Wings (Royer). This authors goal was determine which was better baked or fried buffalo wings. The verdict: Baked chicken makes a better buffalo wing. Why: "The buttery sauce melted into the wings, which would never work in a pot of bubbling oil—the marinade would simply dissipate and disappear." (Royer). So, fried food is not always better.

Another problem with fried food is its more damaging to the body than baked chicken. Fried food leads to weight gain, cause ulcers, gallstones and heart disease because the act of frying can change the chemical compositions of the food, add fat/cholesterol. Baked food on the other hand decreases the amount of fat within the chicken and brings out the chickens natural flavors. A fried chicken drumstick has 905 calories, 52.39 grams of fat and a baked drumstick has 110 calories and 10.1 grams of fat. This means if you eat baked chicken you can eat more of it than you can of fried chicken without negative effects. (Waltenburg)

Waltenburg, Deborah. "Baked Vs. Fried Foods for Weight Loss | EHow.com."�EHow. EHow. Web. 01 June 2011. <http://www.ehow.com...;.

Royer, Blake. "Taste Test: Baked vs. Fried Buffalo Wings | Serious Eats."�Serious Eats: A Food Blog and Community. Serious Eats, 2 Feb. 2010. Web. 01 June 2011. <http://www.seriouseats.com...;.
Lightbright

Pro

Lol. Alright so you made a great point my dear. That was a very broad statement, I apologize. There are vegetarians, and those who just simply don't like chicken at all, etc etc. Well lets focus on the vegetarians for awhile. Maybe we shouldn't include all of them because there are many "replacement" vegetarian products for meat. In particular for this debate there are things such as Southern Fried Vegetarian "Chicken", Fried "chicken" fingers that are vegan, and vegan fried chicken. These foods do not contain chicken, but they taste like it.

http://www.google.com...

Which brings me to the next point that maybe it isn't about the health, but it is about the taste. Yes baked chicken may be better in the aspects that it less likely clog your arteries or cause you to go into cardiac arrest, but doesn't fried chicken just taste so much better. If it didn't, wouldn't there be more baked chicken substitutes for vegetarians or people seeking healthy solutions opposed to fried chicken? If it was healthier than baked chicken, who would deny the sure delectable crispiness of a nice hot piece of fried chicken?
Zyanya

Con

None of the vegetarian options taste like chicken. Mostly, this is because you cannot mimic the taste of meat with soy products and chemical additives. Furthermore, there are plenty of recipes for non-fried vegetarian chicken. Just because the recipes exist (which your google result proves) does not prove that fried vegetarian chicken is better. You can search for about anything and get a thousands of results. Look I searched shrimp jello recipes:

http://www.google.com...

"if it didn't, wouldn't there be more baked chicken substitutes for vegetarians or people seeking healthy solutions opposed to fried chicken?"

Did you check on this statement before you said it? Because I checked it and I found About 5,510,000 results for vegetarian fried chicken and About 43,800,000 results for vegetarian baked chicken. Read into that what you will.

Moving back to real chicken, you argue taste which I responded to right off the bat with Royers taste test.

Furthermore, how can we ignore health and the potential health problems fried chicken can bring a person. We are arguing which is better. And I think we can agree hands down that baked chicken is better for your body than fried chicken. So, one check toward baked chicken.
Lightbright

Pro

Well I have been very late with this debate, partially because I had little sister born this weekend, and today I went to an Irish festival lol. But yes I am proud to say that I had a very good opponent, who made good arguments with great proof from research. I will continue to stick with my opinion that fried chicken is better, my main reason being that fried chicken is flaunted more through fast food chains, frozen food products, and there are even vegetarian options. I know I'm lazy now and do not feel like researching, but I promise to put more effort into a debate if you wish to challenge me or if I challenge you. Maybe we can argue that string beans are better than broccoli lol. It was nice debating with you and I wish you well, it was a fun and pointless topic but I'm glad I made it up. Take care :)
Zyanya

Con

I had fun with this debate too. And I would have found it easier to debate if I had internet at my apartment. Congrats on the new sister.

I still stand by baked chicken being better for you because its healthier than fried chicken because as I said before "Fried food leads to weight gain, cause ulcers, gallstones and heart disease". Baked chicken has as many recipes available online as fried chicken. Furthermore, taste is a matter of opinion and many people like baked chicken more than fried chicken(same goes for the reverse).

I say your argument of vegetarian options is still void because I already proved baked chicken vegetarian has far more results than fried chicken vegetarian.
And while I agree fried chicken is more bragged about plenty of fast chain food chains and regular restaurants provide baked chicken as an option.

Anyway, thanks for the debate.
Posted by interrogator 3 years ago
interrogator
Fried Chicken is way better than baked. It is crispy, crunchy, and has more flavor. Nevermind
its undeniable popularity. Look at the society we live in. Most people are not vegetarians simply
because you do not have to be. Just eat meat to obtain protein. And besides, it is delicious.
Fried Chicken rules the day.
Posted by tvellalott 3 years ago
tvellalott
I love me some whale a5s.
Posted by Koopin 3 years ago
Koopin
KfC
Posted by Sieben 3 years ago
Sieben
Okay. Let's do some math.

"a baked drumstick has 110 calories and 10.1 grams of fat"

There are 9 calories per gram of fat http://en.wikipedia.org...

10.1g fat * 9 calories/g fat = 90.9 calories from fat. So there are apparently only 19g of other calories left. This is 4.5g of protein assuming the baked drumstick is just meat.

Do you really believe that there are only 4.5g of protein in a drumstick? Chicken is renowned as one of the leanest meats, used regularly by during athletic cutting phases. Chicken breast has an 1:8 ratio of fat:protein. There is NO MEAT ON THE PLANET that has a 2:1 ratio of fat to protein except maybe Whale A­ss. And nobody eats Whale A­ss. And if they did they would just cut most of the fat off.

Seriously.
Posted by Zyanya 3 years ago
Zyanya
At the time my moral considerations weren't the going to keep me from eating meat (though most types I would because didn't like the taste of meat) because I was a 14 year old girl making big life decisions. However, once we found out that red meat was hard for my body to digest it made it easier for my parents to support my decision and provide vegetarian options. Now I'm a 21 year old vegetarian.
Posted by seraine 3 years ago
seraine
So... you became a vegetarian because of the moral issues, especially (or mainly) because we humans don't need to eat meat? And would you say that discovering your problem with digesting red meat was a sweetener to the deal, or what clinched it? Sorry if I seem too inquisitive, I don't mean to do it.
Posted by Zyanya 3 years ago
Zyanya
I became a vegetarian when I was 14. At first because I felt bad for eating the animals when there were alternatives, but then I started to feel better every day. It turns out all the meat I had been eating was making me sick. I have a problem digesting red meat and hadn't known. Thats why I chose to be a vegetarian.
Posted by seraine 3 years ago
seraine
Zyanya, why did you decide to become a vegetarian? I am always curious about this when I meet a vegetarian, and I usually find the reasons interesting.
Posted by Breece 3 years ago
Breece
sorry for some reason it didn't post the whole link. it was supposed to be a link to a different wiki page.
bojangles is a fast food chain. "Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits"
Posted by Breece 3 years ago
Breece
http://en.wikipedia.org...'_Famous_Chicken_'n_Biscuits
Vote Placed by Double_R 3 years ago
Double_R
LightbrightZyanyaTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with Pro but Con made a better argument. Its pretty tough to argue with fried chicken being better as far as taste, but what they were arguing wasn't really clear. Congrats to Pro on her sister, I can accept that excuse for her bad round 3, but the Irish Festival??? No excuse lol!
Vote Placed by Koopin 3 years ago
Koopin
LightbrightZyanyaTied
Reasons for voting decision: I feel like I should vote because I am bias. But Pro one. KFC.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 3 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
LightbrightZyanyaTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was a clear win for Con as in the end Pro simply repeated the resolution and ignored counter arguments by Con such as the taste test comparison. Fried chicken is however much better than baked chicken simply because you can always deep fry a baked chicken, you can't do the reverse. 3:2 Con.
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 3 years ago
quarterexchange
LightbrightZyanyaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Making the claim that vegetarians would enjoy baked chicken more definately showed the winner. The fact that KFC, Popeye's and various other chicken based restaurants are known for fried chicken and make large profits of fried chicken sales, shows that fried chicken is definately a much more favorable way for chicken to be prepared, so says America
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
LightbrightZyanyaTied
Reasons for voting decision: The greater popularity of fried chicken in chain restaurants is the best argument. KFC tried baked and dropped it. How would we know that chicken vegetarians would like, since they don't eat any? Vegetarianism is rarely based on taste.