RazorxLeaf
Petfish

Friends is the best TV episode ever

Petfish
Started: 2/19/2016 Category: TV

RazorxLeaf

Pro

Friends is the best due to its ability to fit many target audiences and appealing to both families and teens. It has great comedy coupled with serious life lessons. No other programme is as good because it is based on a simple storyline (in a cafe and house) so it relates to peoples daily life...
Petfish

Con

Thank you, RazorxLeaf, for instigating this debate.

The resolution, as you can see, is whether ‘Friends’ is the best TV episode, not show, ever. I will argue that the episode ‘Not What He Seems’ from Gravity Falls is a better TV episode, thereby negating the resolution.

Argument 1: Rating comparison.

According to IMDb, Not What He Seems is #12 on the list of highest rated episodes. ‘Friends’ is not on the list.[1]

Now considering that this debate is about specific episodes, any overall rating of the show is irrelevant.

Rebuttals:

My opponent’s entire argument is a bare assertion.[2] Since my opponent did not back up any claims with logic or sources, we cannot affirm the resolution.

“Friends is the best due to its ability to fit many target audiences and appealing to both families and teens.”

My opponent says that if something is able to fit many target audiences and appeal to both families and teens, then it is the best. However, I believe there are many episodes that fit this requirement. Are they all the best? Then we would have more than one best episode. Additionally, we cannot assume that this is a good rating system.

If an episode were to fit these requirements, should we automatically give the episode a 10/10 rating? But any episode that is the best should have a 10/10 rating (or the highest possible rating). So I find this line of reasoning to be invalid and unsound.

“It has great comedy coupled with serious life lessons.”

If true, this may show that ‘Friends’ is a good episode. But it does not show how it is the best episode.

Due to character limit, I cannot interact with my opponent’s arguments as much as I’d like. However, you can see that they are all similarly unsound. The resolution has been negated.

I await my opponent’s reply.

[1]http://www.imdb.com...
[2] http://www.toolkitforthinking.com...
RazorxLeaf

Pro

RazorxLeaf forfeited this round.
Petfish

Con

Final Rebuttals:

"No other programme is as good because it is based on a simple storyline (in a cafe and house) so it relates to peoples daily life..."

My opponent claims that no other program is as good because it is based on a simple storyline. But this statement can only be true if there are no other episodes based on a simple storyline.

I believe the episode 'Dr. Eggman's Tomato Sauce' from the TV show Sonic Boom is based on a simple storyline. According to Wikipedia, the episode summary is simply, "Eggman created his own brand of tomato sauce, but Sonic and his friends are distrustful."[3]

This sentence is easily understood by many people. In fact, it seems easier to understand than a standard 3rd grade worksheet.[4]

In conclusion, I believe 'Dr. Eggman's Tomato Sauce' is based on a simple storyline.

My opponent did not show how a simple storyline automatically relates to peoples' lives. Perhaps, instead, my opponent meant that the episode "Friends" both relates to peoples' daily lives AND is based on a simple storyline, therefore it is the best. However, neither of these seem to be great-making properties, so they do not seem to make an episode 'better' or 'the best'.

Additionally, I believe 'Dr. Eggman's Tomato Sauce' relates to peoples' lives because some people watch the show. Participating in an activity requires a sacrifice of time from our daily lives. Therefore the episode is relevant to our daily lives (if we choose to watch it).

But finally, perhaps my opponent meant that no other episode is as good in that manner. But we are arguing over which episode is the best ever, not which episode is the best that is based on a simple storyline.

No other argument presented by my opponent stands. Therefore the notion has not been carried.

Please vote!

[3]https://en.wikipedia.org...;
[4] http://www.education.com...

Posted by Daniel_Nemes 1 year ago
Daniel_Nemes
Friends is a television show, not an episode.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
RazorxLeafPetfishTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited a turn.