isaiah589
Bigcheese3232

Frodo is a better hero than Harry Potter

isaiah589

Con

Round one will be acceptance.
Round two- opening arguments
Round three- rebuts
Round 4- final arguments

I am against the statement that Frodo is a better hero than Harry Potter (despite being a big Lord of the Rings fan).
Bigcheese3232

Pro

I accept your argument
isaiah589

Con

Thanks to my opponent for accepting and the best of luck to him.

I would like to put a definition of hero in place first.

Hero: a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. http://dictionary.reference.com....

There are a few major points I would like to make so here we go.
First off, when we look at the challenges these characters face, I think it is pretty close to a draw. Obviously Frodo has to go through Mordor, which is pretty tough, but most don't realize that Harry has had it just as tough. In Harry Potter's FIRST year at Hogwarts, he has to face Voldemort. Clearly, Voldemort isn't in his full being yet, but remember this is Harry's first year, he hardly knows anything about magic. He is also super young during this period of time, he's 11 years old in the first book. You can't tell me that normal 11 year old would be brave enough to stand up against the most evil people in the entire world. In fact, most 11 year old's I know would cry during a situation as Harry was placed. Frodo on the other hand, is meant to be in his mid 30's during the beginning of his journey. Obviously a much older man than Harry, yet Harry has to face nearly as tough challenges. Harry has to face Voldemort in every book in some way, shape or form. Not only was this tough, but once again, Harry is so young. He shouldn't have to fight for his life at age 11 or 12. Think about how frightening this could be for such a young person. But Harry hardly get's nervous or scared. Harry is about the most courageous character in any story, based upon how old he is.

Another point I would like to make is thinking about if Frodo is the real hero at all in Lord of the Rings. I realize that the ring can turn people pretty bad, and Frodo struggles with this, (also, remember that Harry wears the Horcruxes, which are pretty similar) but when it comes down to it, I think the real hero of Lord of the Rings is Sam. Frodo was ready to give up on the Mountain at the end of Return of the King. Sam picks Frodo up and carries him up the Mountain. If it wasn't for Sam, Frodo definitely would not have made it. This brings me to my next point in thinking about all the companions Frodo has with him to help him. The entire race of men is fighting for him. Also, the elves help him. He receives gifts to help him on his journey in fact. Sauron, who is the main villain, has so many other things to worry about, like the armies of Gondor and Rohan. Meanwhile, Voldemort is focused mainly on Harry and Harry alone. Imagine if Sauron was back in his full form and fought Frodo. Frodo wouldn't stand a chance, he doesn't have enough ability which by the way, is one of the characteristics of a hero. Harry Potter has his friends die right and left especially Dumbledore. Imagine if Gandalf died off. It would have changed the story so much and Frodo probably wouldn't have made it. I realize that Harry had Hermione and Ron, and they did help, but they caused almost as much trouble as they did help. In the last book, the arguments from Ron and Harry cause separation and fighting. Frodo also hardly does anything by himself. He carries the ring, runs from goblins and such, and puts the ring in fire. He hardly has to do any fighting, in fact the most fighting he does is against a screwed up Hobbit by the name of Gollum. By the way, he lost a finger in that fight. Harry has to fight many who are skilled in wizard fighting and eventually, he kills Voldemort, the master of killing. Clearly, Harry has had to use his ability more than Frodo. I know Frodo did fight some, and he had to fight a spider, but he lost that fight as well. In fact, Sam comes in, once again, to save Frodo from the spider. This once again helps the case that Sam is the true hero in Lord of the Rings, not Frodo. It seems, due to the situations and the age that Harry faces them at, that Harry is a better hero than Frodo.

Remember, make your next argument without trying to rebut on anything I said, although I know its hard not to. You'll get the chance to do that in round 3. Good luck!
Bigcheese3232

Pro

Bigcheese3232 forfeited this round.
isaiah589

Con

isaiah589 forfeited this round.
Bigcheese3232

Pro

Bigcheese3232 forfeited this round.
isaiah589

Con

isaiah589 forfeited this round.
Bigcheese3232

Pro

Bigcheese3232 forfeited this round.