jiffy
jack999

"From a debate judging standpoint" debates are unnecessary.

jiffy

Pro

First, I'm just trying to get a point across here, so whomever accepts this debate, please know that it is in good fun and I am not trying to prove the topic to an absolute T since I know someone will inevitably bring up a semantics argument.

Anyway my point is that all of these "From a debate judging standpoint..." debates that I see popping up now, mostly from a select few, are really unnecessary. And I know that all of the debates on this site are "unnecessary" but from an entertainment perspective (someone who enjoys browsing and reading debates on this site) it's almost embarassing to the person (who ever starts them).

Mostly the people who start these do so because they disagree if the votes are not favoring who they think the votes should favor (mostly themselves). They will say "From a debate judging standpoint I should win this debate" and then go on to proceed listing why they think they won. But they should have pointed this out in their debate and let the voters decide in that particular debate and in that debate ONLY who should have won. What is the point of bringing up old debates now? All it does is draw attention to a debate that is done and over with in order to get a few sympathy votes back on that particular debate, so you can increase your win ratio or whatever.

Does it really matter if you won from a debate judging standpoint or not? No. Many times people lose debates on this site that they "should" have won but simply didn't for whatever reason, be it biased voters or people trolling certain accounts. You shouldn't have to cry like a baby about it. Just accept it and move on. It is very annoying to see people try to justify their win or loss in a whole other debate. Plus it doesn't mean that people can change their votes anyway even if you prove a point. And if someone is trying to get my vote by creating a debate like that, I will simply find the debate in question and vote AGAINST it because you shouldn't be soliciting people to your old debates or CONTINUING TO ARGUE THE TOPIC IN A WHOLE OTHER DEBATE WITH 24,000 MORE CHARACTERS I mean just start a new debate if the topic is really that important to you.
jack999

Con

thats your opinon but those debates can help other members understande beter were things are coming from.
jiffy

Pro

jiffy forfeited this round.
jack999

Con

jack999 forfeited this round.
jiffy

Pro

jiffy forfeited this round.
jack999

Con

jack999 forfeited this round.
Posted by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
Ok, honestly, it's 1:00 am and I'm actually kind of tipsy right now (don't worry kids - I'm legal). So I read what you (LM) wrote but haven't really processed it fully. From what I gather, all I can say is that maybe jiffy was talking about you, maybe he wasn't (he did mention a "few" people so who knows...). Perhaps he would have asked you about it personally had the new features with private messaging or whatever been implemented, assuming he was talking about you afterall. Either way it doesn't really matter ~ this debate has been accepted and hopefully we'll see the competitors duke it out appropriately. Con doesn't seem to be putting up much of a fight thus far... hmm. But anyhoot, regarding the sore losers on this site, they're obviously really lame and pretty wacktacular to say the least. Those who appreciate this site for what it is (exchanging ideas) will vote as fairly as possible, and we'll be the ones who get the most out of this web space. I have a feeling that those who down-vote for no reason feel a little bit like their dog just died with every unnecessary and unwarranted down-vote click, probably because they know how truly pathetic they really are. Oh wellz. And LM - don't worry about these jerk offs. You're a decent debater with a pretty good track record vote-wise in my book ;) So just do your thing and wait for some losers to get mad at whomever you've been debating, and watch your win ratio take a random increase. It's kinda cool.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
Ah, but that doesn't answer your entire post now does it? I'm sorry, but you'll have to wait. Post your response in our debate first (but don't spend any real time on it as that will be unnecessary *hint hint*). Plus, I've actually observed a number people on this site get annoyed when their comment sections get completely hijacked (as you suggest, there is more potential for this topic than merely discussing anything that relates to Logical-Master). You're free to continue here, but I'm taking it elsewhere from here on out.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! You have no idea how unpredictable this was. Usually, my posts go observed but ignored, but I didn't actually think someone would respond. Very well, since you've done me the honor of responding, I shall do you the honor of providing an answer.

Firstly (and as I suggested) I feel that this debate is unnecessary IF (and only if) it is targeted at me (hence my response focused on me). I simply feel that such a motivation does not warrant a public debate. I'd consider this the equivalent to a co-worker deciding to host a press conference on the trivial actions of a fellow co-worker rather than approaching the co-worker in person and seeing if they could solve their dispute in private. I actually believe this debate was aimed at me (due to his/her timing/sign up date), but I've given this "jiffy' the benefit of the doubt through suggesting his actions are merely in my opinion rather than fact.

Second, there is something of meaning to me, but I assure you it isn't the win ratio, but the fact that people would really consider me so petty and shallow to think that voting down all of my debates would actually somehow "cripple" my spirit or "teach me a lesson." That kind of weakness is simply foreign to me, and is not the image I want my audience to see when they observe me. Furthermore, I wish to know what it is that is warranting this dislike. You mention that this has happened to both you and beem0r a couple of times . That much, I've noted (in fact, I believe I even had a discussion with beem0r about it), but I've had it happen to an extent in which I wish to question WHY. I simply refuse to believe that it is happening due to a few sore losers, people who are out for kicks, or that it is merely coincidental (as you point out). I feel that staying silent about this issue (as you suggest) won't bring about the results I seek.
Posted by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
LM,

From a debate judging standpoint, this debate is not "unnecessary" because it seeks to discuss differing opinions. If Pro wished to simply leave a comment, he could have; however, he chose to seek insight as to why some people create these kinds of debates, I guess...

As far as your win ratio, clearly it is not utterly meaningless to you. Afterall, you have mentioned it in the comment section of a few debates (including this one), you had mentioned it extensively it the former About Me section of your profile, and you have even gone so far as to create an avatar which discusses it... so to say it is meaningless is kind of an over-statement; if it truly meant nothing to you, why mention it at all?

Assuming people WERE down-voting your debates (could it be they simply did not think you earned the win in many of them? Or is that idea a little far-fetched?), obviously those people have nothing better to do and/or place a value on win ratios whereas you do not... so it's best to just ignore it and be the bigger person by not drawing too much attention to the subject, i.e. a clearly woe-is-me avatar lol (kind of dramatic, if I do say so myself).

Also, I don't understand your logic, Logical-Master, when you mentioned creating debates about your debates as an... act of... kindness? Why not just create new debates about an innumerable number of new topics, instead of being so kind as to grace us with debate challenges regarding your previous debates that have already been done/read/voted on?

Third, if people can create "From a debate judging standpoint..." debates to gain insight, why is Pro's choice in debating this topic to gain insight unnecessary as you claimed before? Hmm.

Anyway, people troll accounts all the time. It's really not a big deal. My win ratio increases or decreases depending on who people happen to be trolling at a particular time, and if I had any debates verses them. It happens with beem0r and I quite a lot, I think.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
For some reason, I have a stagerring suspicion that this debate is aimed at me. Thus, from a debate judging standpoint, I feel that this debate in itself is uneccessary as you could have simply brought this to my attention in a comment rather than making it into a debate.

Although I know my "overly opinionated" comments have gotten me into trouble in the past, I cannot help but do so.

First things first. Let me make it clear for the individuals who keep taking shots at my win ratio in attempt to "teach me a lesson." The win ratio is utterly meaningless to me. In fact, to prove a point, I even took the liberty of voting against all of my debates just recently to establish this fact. Continuing to attack it will do you individuals no good.

Second, as I had mentioned in the comment section on my recent "from a debate judging standpoint" debate, I'm not upset about the fact that I ended up losing in votes on a debate which I strongly feel I won. My motivation for creating my most recent debates was simply the complaint that there were no debates to debate about in the challenge section. Call it an act of kindness if you will. Furthermore, I couldn't think of anything original, so I essentially decided to perform a repeat of past debates with a twist (excluding my debate with kleptin).

Third, if you'll note, the "reasons" I thought I won the "pizza rocks my world debate" were mentioned in both the recent debate and the past debate. The only additional part of the discussion was the validity of my tactics. A discussion I personally profited from as I am always trying to dispose of tactics which are useless and strengthen tactics which have merit (which is actually my primary reason for posting on this website in the first place).

That about cover it?
Vote Placed by jack999 7 years ago
jack999
jiffyjack999Tied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
jiffyjack999Tied
Vote Placed by rawbee 8 years ago
rawbee
jiffyjack999Tied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 8 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
jiffyjack999Tied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
jiffyjack999Tied
Vote Placed by beem0r 8 years ago
beem0r
jiffyjack999Tied