JustinJen
Jarhyn

Fruit is healthy for you (If anyone is debating against me, you're stupid)

Jarhyn

JustinJen

Pro

Fruit has all the healthy nutrients and ingredients needed to keep your body in function.
Jarhyn

Con

Being CON in this debate, I will argue that "Fruit is healthy for you(If anyone is debating against me, you're stupid)" is a false statement. As an optional burden, I will be arguing that a correct resolution would read "Eating reasonable quantities of certain fruits can be healthy for you".

First, I would like to thank my opponent for offering this debate. I would like to point out, first, the resolution. This resolution is unqualified, and unclarified. It is saying that fruit, by itself, is healthy for a person. It does not qualify that it must be eaten, but rather as stated is that the fruit magically contributes to the health of a person through its very existence. If my opponent would like to argue that this magical contribution to health is real, I would assume he has some evidence to back it up.

Second, I would like to point out that even in the case where the fruit is eaten, it must be eaten in reasonable quantities. Excess sugar and fiber intake contributes to obesity and intestinal problems, and can contribute to tooth decay. If my opponet would like to deny that tooth decay and obesity are things directly related to caloric intake, he is free to be laughed at.

Third, not every fruit is right for every person. My opponent has made the implication that just because some thing is a fruit, it is healthy for you. Would this stand against Poison Ivy Berries? Certainly there may be contrived some situation where poison ivy can be used to contribute to the health of a person, such as poisoning some person who is abusing and trapping you, but that is not the general case; it is not the fruit-making qualities of the berries but rather the dead making quality of them, their potential as a weapon, which makes them healthy-making, and certainly not for the guy that eats them. "FRUIT" is not a sufficient classifier for "healthy", even in the scenario where we are discussing eating of the fruit.

Fourth, "can be" is necessary; provided now that a person has eaten a fruit, we must also acknowledge that some people are allergic to otherwise innocuous foods, fruits incuded. Strawberries come to mind; they are a fruit, and healthy for many people to eat, but to the person who is allergic, they could be deadly (or merely inconvenient).

Finally, I must address "(If anyone is debating against me, you're stupid)". To whom is the "you" addressed? My opponent has failed to clarify this. Does it mean ME, or the person reading the debate? The ambiguity of the statemnt leaves it open to interpretation, and indcates that he has not thought it through. Further, I have shown that the debate resolution cannot stand as written, and thus established that in this context, at the very least, that I am not "stupid", here taken to mean "a bad debater and foolish".

The resolution stands in shambles, replaced by the superior "Eating reasonable quantities of certain fruits can be healthy for you". I encourage you to vote CON.

JustinJen

Pro

So you are saying that fruit is healthy but you can't have too much of it? I can live with that. Good Debate sir. And this is very good practice, for me, I don't know how old you are but I'm only 13 thanks for the training!!! I probably wasn't specific enough what I meant was "Eating reasonable quantities of certain fruits can be healthy for you".
Jarhyn

Con

As my opponent appears to have conceded all of my points, I will not belabor them any further. Thank you PRO for the opportunity and I wish you well in future debates. As for voters, I urge you to vote con.
JustinJen

Pro

You are one heck of a nice guy
Jarhyn

Con

I will concede my opponent's point that I am a nice guy, at least in the context of this debate. I will point out, however, that I tend to be quite not-nice when it pertains to people who insist on holding fast to logical fallacies or who accuse me of making fallacies, particularly when they are steeped in such fallacies themselves and when I have committed none, or when dealing with consumate jerks, the disingenuous, or outright liars.
JustinJen

Pro

You can call me Justin and no offense this thing is kind of getting annoying and when I mean you're nice I mean that you are nicer than this other guy debating against me. MAN! That guy is an idiot.
Jarhyn

Con

Anyway, yeah, see previous rounds and all...
JustinJen

Pro

Let's just end this I am Con now you?
Jarhyn

Con

Ok. On to voting!
Posted by JustinJen 4 years ago
JustinJen
We are tied so far... EPIC!!!
Vote Placed by amey 4 years ago
amey
JustinJenJarhynTied
Reasons for voting decision: con is just good in every aspect
Vote Placed by Misterscruffles 4 years ago
Misterscruffles
JustinJenJarhynTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro essentially FF'd in the last round.
Vote Placed by DebaterAgent 4 years ago
DebaterAgent
JustinJenJarhynTied
Reasons for voting decision: neither could persuade me
Vote Placed by po.osullivan 4 years ago
po.osullivan
JustinJenJarhynTied
Reasons for voting decision: Giving Pro as many points as I can. Con won the debate, but Pro doesn't know what debating is. Let this be a tie and hope Pro comes back stronger and more informed next time.
Vote Placed by safebug 4 years ago
safebug
JustinJenJarhynTied
Reasons for voting decision: well pro, im 11 so i know how you feel with the needing training thing. i am just not good at my first debates.... humph.
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 4 years ago
MassiveDump
JustinJenJarhynTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro, you need to rebut absolutely everything Con says, you can't just make general statements and expect to win. Conduct to Con for trying to stay on topic toward the end. Conclusion: herp derp.
Vote Placed by KingDebater 4 years ago
KingDebater
JustinJenJarhynTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments to Con because Pro conceded all of them. Conduct to Con because Pro just gave up.