Stefy
retrogamer176

Fullmetal Alchemist (pro) or Brotherhood (con)?

Stefy

Pro

NERD ALERT
Jff. First round for acceptance.
retrogamer176

Con

Besides the fact that brotherhood follows the manga more closely, it has more action, the theme song is awesome, unlike the original which sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon, which it probably is, and the original doesn't have Envy's landmines! I actually had a better time going through the brotherhood show then the original.
Stefy

Pro

1) I don't think the following the manga affects the show's quality and neither does the theme song, though brotherhoods is better.
While we're on the subject of the music i think that the score of the original show is better. For example, the song Brothers really carfies he emotion of the dramatic scenes.

2) There was less comic relief in the original. While this could just be a matter of personal preference, i think it actually does make the original better because the placement of the comic relief in brotherhood often interrupt the more serious moments and the overall flow of the scenes. For example, whenever that little Xing girl is involved in a ontense battle scene, she enda up ruining a serious moment with a comedic fatasy about Ed or Al or makes another out of place joke.

3) Maes Hughes. In the original series, he died much later than in the brotherhood version. I think this was better because it gives you more time to get to know the character than in brotherhood. In fact I think that overall the original put much more effort into developing theor characters than brotherhood, and still managed to keep a coherent story, whereas brotherhood put more focus on the story than the characters.

4) The Homunculi. Sloth is signifigantly more developed and interesting in the original because she is the homunculus of the boys' mother and is very comple internally and in her relationship to the other characters, particularly Ed, Al, and Wrath and not just a one dimentional evil monster. The Hominculi were also explained better in the original series in that they explained more backstory especially with Lust and also focused more on the origin on Homunculi in general.

5) The ending. The ending was much better in the original. The ending in Brotherhood was very clich" and a little bit deus ex machina in a way and in some ways felt slightly rushed, whereas in the end of the original while they solve the problem and defeat the villian, something still has to be sacrificed, that being the brothers staying together. The message of both series is that there is no gain without sacrifice. In the brotherhood ending there really isnt that much sacrificed. Ed loses his alchemy yes, but the sacrifice was muh bigger in the original, making the message a lot more powerful.
retrogamer176

Con

1) It is true that following the manga doesn't affect the show's quality. I find the blue exorcist tv show better then the comics. I guess it's a matter of which one you saw first. And on music, I was more or less talking about the theme song intros. The 4th brotherhood intro was just amazing.

2) Yes, it is a matter of preference & I think that with a show like fullmetal alchemist, you need comic relief to break up the tension. I will agree that the Xing girl's fantasy could get annoying, but at least it's not done EVERY time she's in a battle. That would put me on your side.

3) The homunculi. with sloth being less developed in the series, it did allow the 2 tough men to have a hilarious bromance moment! As for the backstory, what's to develop other than father's creation an he put his 7 emotions into homunculi?

4) Did you forget about greed?
Posted by retrogamer176 1 year ago
retrogamer176
Scratch that, I couldn't finish the original, so I didn't see the ending, so I couldn't make much of an argument with it.
Posted by Stefy 1 year ago
Stefy
Your tatally right about the theme songs. Again and Golden Time were great. i dont even remember the ones from the original..
Posted by Stefy 1 year ago
Stefy
lol yeah. I havent seen either in a little while.
At the end Ed gets sent to our universe and leaves al forever.
Posted by retrogamer176 1 year ago
retrogamer176
I couldn't really argue much about your 4th point because I didn't really remember the ending of the original. Oh well, 3 out of 4 right?
Posted by Stefy 1 year ago
Stefy
This was fun :D
Posted by Stefy 1 year ago
Stefy
I meant sacrifice on the main characters part. Greed was sort of on the side it was was ed and al whose gains and goals were the focus so greed sort of sacrifieces to help them they themselves didnt have to but i see your point