Fun Argument: Books (Pro) vs Video Games (Con)

Started: 2/11/2014 Category: Arts

Books (pro): The Reasons to support my claim!
1. Exposing Yourself to New Things!
Through reading, you expose yourself to new things, new information, new ways to solve a problem, and new ways to achieve one thing. Who knows " you might find your new hobbies within it. Who knows " you might actually explore one thing you really like and it may end up becoming your career and success in the future. Exploration begins from reading and understanding.

2. Self Improvement
Reading helps form a better you!
Through reading, you begin understand the world more. Through reading, you begin to have a greater understanding on a topic that interest you; for example: how to build self confidence, how to make plan better before taking action, how to memorize things better and more. All of these self improvements start from the reading; through reading, you create a structured path towards a better understanding and better actions to take in the future

3. Knowledge
Books promote education! :)

1k characters lol.

In regards to my opponent's arguments: video games offer those benefits as well. Video games expose you to different concepts and ideas just as much as books do. Video games also offer a lot of different benefits, including benefits that books don't offer such as increased hand-eye coordination and social cooperation (1). Video games have also been shown in correlation with higher test scores across various different subjects (1)(2).

So in short, all the benefits my opponent lists for books video games offer as well. Video games offer more exclusive benefits than reading books do. Therefore, video games.

(1) -
(2) -

Yes, I can agree that video games can teach you a thing or two but......

I'm pretty sure there isn't a "video game" on the natural laws of physics or a detailed analysis on calculus!
I love video games; I used to play MW2 every single day, but I can tell you that books make scholars, not video games!

**********Most people play video games for entertainment, not to learn something anyway!**********

Here is someone who changes the world by writing "books":

Steven Hawking:
See those books? Is there a video game to teach me all these things?

If you can't show me a video game that can help me find this type of knowledge then... How do you expect me to learn about the universe??

"The Universe is a place fill with cold hard facts" - from Halo 2

How do you think video games are made? by video games? No by people who read code in book

It seems my opponent only contests the fact that people learn things from video games. This means that you can extend out the arguments that video games provide benefits that books don't give, such as physical benefits (hand-eye coordination, reaction time, etc), as well as social benefits. These went unadressed. And these will outweigh the education point because it's the only unique impact in the round. Both sides teach people new stuff, but I'm the only one who gives other benefits.

And, on the learning point:

It doesn't really matter what video games teach so long as people are receiving some kind of educational benefit from playing video games. My opponent hasn't really contested that video games teach people stuff, rather he just has a problem with what video games teach. Fine, play a different video game then that teaches what you want to learn.

And it doesn't matter why people play video games, they'll still teach the player new things.

See the house you live in??
Do you think that house was made by playing video games?
Do you think video games have any part in making that "house" you live in?

The people who made your house are licensed (hopefully).
Do you know how those people got licensed to make that house you're living in?
They got licensed by taking standardized tests, by reading books on construction...

THIS is just a hook....

Think about "Doctors" for a second.. it would be a shame if we didn't have modern medicine... right?

Now the question.. how does a Doctor become a Doctor??

You need to earn a medical degree, then you need to enroll in medical school!

Do you think any of these doctors never read a book?
Lets take all the books away from these doctors :)... ohh no? why not?
Now lets take all the video games away! haha it wouldn't make a huge difference.

Hence, books are more important! because they make a bigger impact in society. <<<--

So instead of just responding to a portion of my arguments this time, my opponent doesn't respond to ANY of my arguments. This means you extend the argument talking about how video games offer benefits that books don't offer, and that video games also offer educational benefits.

What does this mean? Simple. His sole argument at the end of the debate is that books provide better educational benefits compared to video games. Ignoring the fact that he never warrants how this is true, the problem is this: he has an impact saying x. I have impacts saying x and y. We both have x going for us, I'm the only one that has y going for me. I'm the only one with a unique impact in the round.

And, book reading doesn't have a bigger impact on society because video games provide the same educational benefits. Refer back to my sources that cite an increase in test scores across numerous subjects cited in relation to video games. I have the same impact.

Vote con.
Posted by RowanM 2 years ago
Pro could've won this so easily.
Posted by Zaradi 2 years ago
Maybe you should become a better debater so that the side you believe is true isn't beaten.

Or, better yet, you could always just change your beliefs :P
Posted by IReason 2 years ago
anyone who voted con is so stupid :/
Vote Placed by donald.keller 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro could have won if he'd addressed the issues of Video Games. He did a poor job attacking his opponents points and dropped too many of his. Both sides used sources, however, Pro's sources defended his claims but not his side, there is a large deference. I didn't mind spelling, and while Pro seemed a bit loud (!!!!??!!?!), conduct was okay as well.
Vote Placed by SeventhProfessor 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con's sources were directly related to the debate, Con had far superior spelling ad grammar, and did better at arguing his side of the resolution.