Surrealism
FreedomJosh

Fun Debate - Sub-Lightspeed Spaceship Design Contest

Started: 12/7/2014 Category: Games

Surrealism

Pro

The title of this debate should be fairly self-explanatory, but here are the details.

Whoever accepts this debate will be designing two different spaceships that travel under the speed of light. That means that ftl travel will result in an automatic forfeit. (So no wormholes, okay?)

The first spaceship must be for a small number of people, the amount who would travel together in a normal car. This spaceship will be designed for hour, day, or week long trips to other bodies in our solar system, such as the moon, Mars, or satellites of gas giants.

The second spaceship must be a large liner designed for many people, perhaps as many as on a cruise liner or more. This spaceship will be designed for year, decade, or century long trips to other stars nearby such as Proxima Centauri, Sirius A, or Barnard's Star.

The spaceships will be rated on three criteria:

One: Scientific Feasibility - Make sure that your spaceship design follows known laws of physics, and might be possible to create in the coming future. The more detail you provide that fits within spec, the more likely you win this category.

Two: Originality - If your spaceship copies a design already used in science fiction or proposed by an engineer or scientist, you will lose points here. However, this doesn't mean that you can't take inspiration from other's ideas so long as you add a significant amount of your own design.

Three: Aesthetics and Comfort - A spaceship company will only really be successful if people are willing to step into their craft, so make sure your ship isn't hideous, and also that your passengers will be kept comfortable while travelling.

The first round is for acceptance.

The second round is for posting any necessary diagrams, drawings, and explanations of your ship design, as well as all sources for science.

The third round is for comparing each of the ships, and explaining why yours is the best in terms of the three categories above.

Sources must be from accredited scientists or space agencies.

With that, let the best designer win!
FreedomJosh

Con

I will take on this challenge, just for the fun of it.
Surrealism

Pro

Regrettably, due to circumstances beyond my control, I will be unable to complete this debate at this time. I apologize for the inconvenience. I would like to complete it at a later time, and will remake the debate challenge at that time. For now, I once again apologize for the inconvenience.
FreedomJosh

Con

okay let me know when your ready.
FreedomJosh

Con

FreedomJosh forfeited this round.
Posted by AtheistPerson 2 years ago
AtheistPerson
You can't go anywhere near the speed of light.
Posted by carriead20 2 years ago
carriead20
Tempted to accept but alas I do not have the time.
Posted by Surrealism 2 years ago
Surrealism
smlburridge, that would depend on the speed at which you go. Using our current spacecraft, we cannot reach other planets in our solar system in weeks. However, I only ruled out faster than light travel. Near light speed travel is still an available option.
Posted by NoRiceForU 2 years ago
NoRiceForU
If i have a good idea who gets intellectual rights to it?
Posted by smlburridge 2 years ago
smlburridge
It takes more than just a couple weeks to reach Mars or Jupiter, buddy.