ExplodingNoob
Maikuru

Fun is more important than work

ExplodingNoob

Pro

Thank you to whoever accepts this debate

Now for my point

~Without fun there would be no work.
~~Work is created to generate an income to pursue fun.
~~~If someone is truly having fun then they would not need to work.
~~~~Even if you are living on the streets with no home, no clothes, no nothing and you are still TRULY having fun. Then you are better off.

Game On.
Maikuru

Con

I'd like to thank Pro for this opportunity and welcome him to DDO.

1. fun - something that provides mirth or amusement [1]
2. work - labor; employment, as in some form of industry, esp. as a means of earning one's livelihood [2]
3. important - of much or great significance or consequence [3]

::Rebuttals::

1. The claim that fun is somehow necessary for work is false, as the only real requirements for work are capability and willingness. Pro's argument here needs elaboration.

2. Pro's claim that work serves as a means for having fun is self-defeating and limited. Income generated from employment is the most reliable and continuous means of obtaining entertainment, so the precedence Pro places on fun makes work that much more essential. Also, in addition to supplying fun, working is generally an integral part of a plethora of other important factors (see: Arguments for Con 1).

3. Pro's final two points argue that work, and the goods obtained through work, are unnecessary if one is having fun. Let's imagine the feasibility of this scenario. The entertainment options available to an average individual (i.e. employed and possessing material goods) are far greater than one who has nothing. Factor in the dangers and stresses of being homeless, hungry, and unhealthy and the possibility of consistent fun becomes not only unlikely, but also irrelevant.

::Arguments for Con::

1. Fun is a temporary personal experience. Work, on the other hand, benefits both the individual and society at large. Completed tasks garner a sense of pride and accomplishment, careers help establish social worth and integration, and wages earned are necessary to care for ourselves and our families. On a larger scale, the importance of work increases drastically; services rendered by one person aids others, whose own work aids still others and so on. Personal enjoyment has no such expansive influence on human communities and pales in comparison to the immeasurable positive impact made by employment.

2. The pursuit of fun is only realistic after certain human needs are addressed. As mentioned in my third rebuttal, enjoyment becomes secondary when faced with real concerns about one's well-being. This concept, though self-evident, is outlined by psychologist Abraham Maslow, whose hierarchy of needs depicts the importance of physiological and security needs above emotional ones [4]. Working is our primary means of satisfying our most basic necessities, making fun insignificant in comparison.

I will likely introduce new arguments next round but for now, my 3,000 characters are up.

::References::

1. http://dictionary.reference.com...
2. http://dictionary.reference.com...
3. http://dictionary.reference.com...
4. http://psychology.about.com...
ExplodingNoob

Pro

I thank you for your argument.

Your debate is on the topic of false fun. As I stated in my first argument. If someone is TRULY having fun even on the streets with no home no anything. They are still having fun without work. Thus depleting the need for work.
Maikuru

Con

That wasn't exactly what I was hoping for but okay.

::Rebuttals::

Pro has opted to put our discussion on hold, drop each of his contentions, and claim my rebuttals address the wrong type of fun. Let's examine that.

To start, "false fun" is a nonsense term, in this debate and the real world for that matter. The word was appropriately defined in the previous round and all my contentions relate to that definition. If Pro wished to classify different types of fun and how they each rank in terms of importance, he had two rounds to do so.

Secondly, my arguments stand regardless of the intensity of fun someone is having. Wages earned through working are necessary for one's survival, which holds priority over temporary entertainment. Even the most enjoyable experience, if prioritized over one's health and security, becomes meaningless and detrimental. Add on the immeasurable benefits of our work-based society and the fact that working is necessary to finance fun in the first place and there is no competition.

Lastly, Pro has yet to even explain the importance of fun, let alone how it triumphs over work. We may all like to enjoy ourselves, but there is a difference between preference and importance. Until my opponent gives some reason why a luxury such as fun is more important than obtaining basic needs such as food and water, this debate is over.

::Closing::

As it stands, Pro has no case. His points have been refuted and my contentions have yet to be addressed. I urge him to present some semblance of an argument next round.
ExplodingNoob

Pro

ExplodingNoob forfeited this round.
Maikuru

Con

Given our country's unforgiving economic climate and the accumulating stresses of daily life, my opponent has thought it best to close his DDO account and spend his time on more important matters.

In the mean time, he has forfeited the final round, demonstrated poor grammar, provided no sources, and posted no coherent arguments. Work has been shown to be much more important than fun and the resolution has been negated. Thank you for reading and please vote Con!

~Maikuru
Posted by breanna_jean 7 years ago
breanna_jean
hahahahahaha. fun is better than work but its not more important than work, you need a living dont you?
Posted by ExplodingNoob 7 years ago
ExplodingNoob
ok thanks i look forward to arguing with you =) haha
ive done alot of research on this haha
Posted by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
Forfeits occur when one doesn't post an argument by the deadline. I was actually finishing mine when the laptop restarted and I lost it. I'll have it posted by tomorrow =)
Posted by ExplodingNoob 7 years ago
ExplodingNoob
if u arent going to debate please forfeit the rounds. thanks
Posted by ExplodingNoob 7 years ago
ExplodingNoob
lol well thanks i would appreciate something to argue about xD
Posted by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
I didn't mean to accept this, I was just looking at the terms for the debate haha. I may still do it, though =)
Vote Placed by Dorb 7 years ago
Dorb
ExplodingNoobMaikuruTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 7 years ago
Logical-Master
ExplodingNoobMaikuruTied
Vote Placed by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
ExplodingNoobMaikuruTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
ExplodingNoobMaikuruTied