PatriotPerson
SeventhProfessor

Fun. is a good band

SeventhProfessor
Started: 3/18/2014 Category: Music

PatriotPerson

Pro

I am Pro, you are not so.
Rounds are five, into this debate we shall dive.
Round one is for arguments none,
simply acceptance.
The other rounds are then for
argument resistance.

I hope you liked my poem.
SeventhProfessor

Con

Let's go. GNO.

(BTW, full BOP on you or is it shared?)
PatriotPerson

Pro

Fun.'s songs convey all feelings, and often display actual events. Each member of the band has a long history of musical experience.

To answer your question, it depends on what arguments you intend to make.

My question to you is, why isn't Fun. a good band?
SeventhProfessor

Con

Alright, I won't be a jerk and say something like "a band can't objectively good, it's a matter of opinion" because that's dumb. Now, I agree that all of your points are all positives to Fun., but I will outline my main reasons or disliking them.

Repetition
Let's look at one of Fun.'s most popular songs, We Are Young (http://www.azlyrics.com...). As you can see, it has 11 stanzas. Six of them are the exact same. SIX, that's an incredibly large amount for only eleven stanzas. When listening to a song, I don't know how many people are willing to listen to the same thing repeated over and over again like that, I sure don't.

Unoriginal Style
The first time I heard them, I honestly thought it was One Direction. If 1D did a cover of Some Nights, I'm willing to bet half the people that heard it would think it's the original. Again, this is the problem of hearing the same thing over and over again, which is incredibly annoying.
PatriotPerson

Pro

Repetition
That is quite literally Fun.'s only really repetitive song. Why should you judge the entire band because of one song being repetitive?

Unoriginal Style
Fun. and One Direction sound NOTHING alike. The lead singer of Fun. is a 32 year-old man from Iowa City, Iowa, who lived in Arizona for most of his life. Everyone in One Direction is a teenager from Britain (Except for Niall).
SeventhProfessor

Con

Repetition
Yes, but We Are Young has about 230mil views, Some Nights has 93mil, and Carry On only has about 30mil. This shows that they are most popular when just repeating something over and over again, almost as constantly and annoyingly as songs like Stay The Night.

Unoriginal Style
Nate Ruess is really young for his age (in the same way one could say Peter Capaldi at 55 is younger than William Hartnell at 55), and there aren't really any differences in American and British accents while singing.
PatriotPerson

Pro

Repetition
No, those songs are so popular because they were released with an entire new studio album in 2012, they sounded great, and the band had been active for four years. And Stay the Night isn't even by Fun.

Unoriginal Style
Many people will say Nate's voice is amazing and unique. I agree. If you listened to more of Fun.'s songs, you would also agree. And American and British accents can sound different when singing. It depends on what part of the country you're from. Take the British band Bastille for example. By just hearing the singer's voice, you can automatically tell he's British.
SeventhProfessor

Con

Repetition
What's important is that, in the end, they don't stand out from the rest of the bands. I know that Stay the Night is not by Fun., but I was showing how Fun.'s most popular, and arguably their objectively best, is no better than songs like Stay the Night.

Unoriginal Style
Nate's voice is great, but when combined with the other two's, it starts sounding really boy-bandish. I understand that Bastille sounds British, but I still have to disagree with you o the point that 1D does. 1D is clearly not from a heavy British accent singing place.
PatriotPerson

Pro

"and arguably their objectively best..."
Tell me, how many Fun. songs do you even know?

"but when combined with the other two's"
Andrew and Jack don't sing. The only times either of them has sang for a fun. song was Andrew's short solo in Walking the Dog.

In no way does Fun. sound "boy-bandish". And even if they did, that is not a bad thing. It would just be a fact.
SeventhProfessor

Con

That's irrelevant. They are most popular when repeating the exact same garbage as everyone else, based shown by their most popular song. This shows they are just as bad as Zedd, 1D, Justin Bieber and all of them, if not worse.

They don't sing? Wow, it sounds like multiple people, they must edit his voice a LOT. Again showing how they don't stand out in any significant way from their competition.
Posted by EndarkenedRationalist 2 years ago
EndarkenedRationalist
I agree with zmikecuber.
Posted by zmikecuber 2 years ago
zmikecuber
I win you lose voted for the wrong person I think
Posted by PatriotPerson 2 years ago
PatriotPerson
"edit his voice a LOT". Pfft, Nate just has an awesome voice.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
PatriotPersonSeventhProfessorTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm not really sure either side does a good job setting up what makes a band good or bad. Pro provides some limited reasoning on what makes a band unique, and takes a brief look at what components can make a good band, but never actually states something that they do that would make them good to a very wide audience. Con focuses on one song, its lyrics, and its reception in order to evaluate the band as a whole, as well as tackling the issue of whether they have a unique voice. So Pro's asking me to make the necessary links from solid musical background to goodness, whereas Con is telling me that I should generalize from two components to the whole band and its goodness. Con makes a decent enough case for generalization that he makes that process simpler, so he edges it out.
Vote Placed by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
PatriotPersonSeventhProfessorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro only focused on refuting. She should of put at least one argument up in defense of her own arguments. Con included a source as well
Vote Placed by EndarkenedRationalist 2 years ago
EndarkenedRationalist
PatriotPersonSeventhProfessorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ooh. Tough debate. As someone neutral to Fun., though, I think I can be impartial. CON was the only one to provide a source. PRO asserted that not all Fun.'s songs were repetitive, but because arguments can only stem from within the framework of the debate and not outside knowledge of the band, we cannot know this for sure. CON goes on to display which of Fun.'s songs became popular, largely due to repetition. The argument about Fun. sounding like 1D I found rather weak and, as PRO says, that doesn't make them a bad band even if they do. So since CON won argument one and PRO won argument 2, arguments are tied. S&G was even.