TheRealSpassky101
FocusV

GMOs

TheRealSpassky101 has forfeited round #4.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

TheRealSpassky101

Con

Hello, I wish you luck in this debate. The first round is acceptance.
FocusV

Pro

Hello and thank you for starting this debate.

I will be arguing for GMO's in this debate.
TheRealSpassky101

Con

I will leave this argument void so you may have the first argument.
FocusV

Pro

My opening argument for GMO's will start with a definition of GMO's, or a Genetically Modified Organisms.
GMO: An organism whose genome has been altered by the techniques of genetic engineering so that its DNA contains one or more genes not normally found there.

Though extensive genetic modification should be monitored, the outright ban or limited use of GMO's can hurt or prevent good change from occurring. There is a common misconception that all genetic modification is bad. An example of a good genetic modification is Golden Rice, a project to help starving kids on the African Continent and potentially everywhere else, and protect them from Vitamin A deficiency. They also play as an antioxidant for eyes and skin.
Source: http://goldenrice.org...

However I do agree they should be labeled. We should be allowed to know whether we are eating something completely natural or not.
TheRealSpassky101

Con

Thank you for your argument.

While I agree that GMOs perform many publicity stunts and make promises that have never been done, most of GMOs are naturally bad. In fact, studies by Japanese scientists have disproven everything Monsanto claims. They proved that GMOs are malnourished, produce many deadly allergens, and are no better than organic foods.

Also, shifting our focus on Monsanto itself, Monsanto performs many underhanded tactics. Their best strategy is to sue farmers. When GMOs cross-pollinate, they can cross-pollinate with organic plants. Then Monsanto goes to the poor organic farmer and sues them for all of their money. The farmer has a choice, because Monsanto is so kind. They can either shutdown their farm or sign a contract saying that the only seeds that they can plant are Monsanto seeds and they can no longer sue Monsanto when their kids die because of the DEADLY ALLERGENS.

I will save the rest of my argument for later. I am looking forward for your response.
FocusV

Pro

If we are shifting our focus to Monsanto, we should at least explain to voters what it is: Monsanto Company is a publicly traded American multinational agrochemical and agricultural biotechnology corporation. It is headquartered in Creve Coeur, Greater St. Louis, Missouri. Monsanto is a leading producer of genetically engineered seed and Roundup, a glyphosate-based herbicide. https://en.wikipedia.org...

Monsanto may use dirty tactics to shut down small farmers, but that's just one company that works in bioengineering. The Big-6 Companies have problems and I would argue need investigating with their products, but you're coming across as though you think every single GMO product is bad, not the companies, as the former was what I intended to argue for. As I think that GMO's have a possibility of being good, I would ask for your next argument, would you disagree?

I will say that using a corrupt company to prove that GMOs are inherently bad came across as a dirty tactic. So finally I ask, what are we arguing about: Companies or the product themselves? Because I agree that the companies are terrible and corrupt.